Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NBN VoIP and Alarms

Thanks

Lightbulb NBN VoIP and Alarms

If your security alarm system is monitored over a telephone line and you are switching to the NBN, here are some options on how to get your alarm monitoring service working again without spending a cent on new equipment.

Your first option is to have done with it and enable the UNI V port. This is an expensive option if you are doing it solely for your alarm system, but you won't need to purchase any new equipment and it is the option with the least amount of hassle.

Your second option is to connect your alarm into a VoIP adapter and try and get your system working over a VoIP service (using the UNI D port). Voice over IP networks are designed to provide the clearest calls possible for the human ear - not for communicating data from equipment like alarm systems. As a result, sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't. Things can get quite technical and you will almost certainly have some headaches along the way.

Your third option is to use a service that was designed to overcome the flaws of alarm signals travelling over a VoIP network. This usually involves using a spare port on a VoIP adapter (Cisco and Obihai are popular examples that work well).

If none of the above are acceptable, then you'll need to call an alarm company in and make sure you are sat down when you get your quote for an upgrade.

I apologize in advance for what is about to follow....

Look Here ->
    Thanks

There are many companies in Perth that do not charge for NBN upgrades for alarm monitoring.

Thanks

Interesting. What does the upgrade comprise of?

Thanks

If you want the uni-v port activated and have the battery back up option ... which you probably want for your alarm to work in a power outage, there is the extra charge for that privilege.

Thanks

...and if you want some form of wireless backup communicator that uses dialer capture, then there are Cisco model SPA3102 and Obihai 110 devices available that will make this possible. They can be setup so that VoIP will be used if an Internet connection is available and failover to a PSTN port if IP (or mains power) is lost.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AdRock View Post
    If you want the uni-v port activated and have the battery back up option ... which you probably want for your alarm to work in a power outage, there is the extra charge for that privilege.
    Hmmm,.. Mum has a medical alarm going through it and there was no extra charge when transitioning over to NBN for the phone.

Thanks

Jimbo,

I'd be careful in this thread. There is some questionable advice being bandied about.

In respect of the NBN, bear in mind that the NBNco have been *very* careful with medical alarms given the political shitstorm which might follow a failure. They may have worn the associated costs. All very confusing, I assure you...
    Last edited by downunderdan; 29-09-15 at 04:53 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to downunderdan For This Useful Post:

jimbo123 (29-09-15),romaqld (30-09-15)

Thanks

I have not put on a monitored customer whose monitoring is reliant on either the NBN or a telephone line for as long as I can remember.

Thanks

Here's some more questionable advice:

My experience has been that home owners (not businesses) often re-evaluate their alarm monitoring service when switching to the NBN and some of them prefer a self monitoring service that sends out email and SMS alerts to their contact list. This is quite a simple process, even for people that do not have the installer code for their alarm panel to reprogram it.

Thanks

Gents, I would humbly say that if you check with your NBN provider first, then all this amounts to zilch.
    The NBN provider I went with offers NBN with battery backup, free unlimited national Voice calls and unlimited data + 100mb dn/40mb up for $80/mth with modem.

Now if you have an alarm that is ok with NBN, then there is no difference except a "potential" outage to the phone line "if" the power goes off for a lengthy period of time - which by then you will have been notified anyhow if you are monitored.

Thanks

McMan - why don't you clarify if your calls are over voip or the uni v port?

Optus only do phone calls on NBN via voip - at least when I asked them.

Edit - So the DTU I installed today on a Ness D8X that would not communicate on the UNI-V port was the one in one hundred.....
    Last edited by xr5adam; 01-10-15 at 06:55 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

I am yet to find anything in writing that explicitly states the NBN is compatible with legacy devices such as medical dialers, alarm aystems, fax machines etc...

Premium Member
    Thanks

There's a useful short read here: regarding UNI-V and analog phones.

At the time I was looking for a retailer that would support the medical alarm mum had, which is currently constrained to the 'older analog' type of setup, only Telstra, iiNet and Commander would support it over UNI-V.

Optus would only do 'phone calls' via VoIP, as did most others.

• The Following User Says Thank You to jimbo123 For This Useful Post:

AdRock (01-10-15)

Thanks

Calls are via Uni-V port.

Who is the service provider for the NBN install ?
    When we tested all of our panels, they worked perfectly on Uni-V ports except for one provider. The hardware for NBN is different for each service provider for memory it was TPG.
    If it is of interest, I can post the results ?

regards

Quote Originally Posted by xr5adam View Post
    McMan - why don't you clarify if your calls are over voip or the uni v port?

Optus only do phone calls on NBN via voip - at least when I asked them.

Edit - So the DTU I installed today on a Ness D8X that would not communicate on the UNI-V port was the one in one hundred.....

Thanks

It was Telstra

Thanks

FYI -

Full document for DX

Thanks

Nice handball. Point is what is meant to work does not always work.

Espiacially when it comes to alarms and NBN

Thanks

I would be interested to find out why. Something is out of spec.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo123 View Post
    At the time I was looking for a retailer that would support the medical alarm mum had, which is currently constrained to the 'older analog' type of setup, only Telstra, iiNet and Commander would support it over UNI-V.
    I don't know about in Australia, but in the UK and North America, 'older analog' as you put it, is no longer 100% analog. Calls are usually put on to VoIP networks 'behind the scenes' to reduce costs and this has resulted in a massive number of alarm signal failures.

There are still 20 million monitored Customers in the US that think their alarm systems are on 'true' analog POTS lines when in fact they aren't. The industry players are running around like headless chickens trying to find solutions. They have been 'barking up the wrong tree' by lobbying the Telco's since VoIP first came on the scene in 2004 and they continue to 'bark up the wrong tree' today. It's an absurd situation.

The problem is compounded by the fact that the vast majority of Customers do not want to change a single thing. They don't want new equipment and they don't want an increase in monthly fees. STALEMATE!

As someone who knows how both alarm systems and VoIP works, the solution was glaringly clear and I developed a software based alarm receiver. I don't care what country my Customers are in or if their alarm panels are connected to POTS, NBN, VoIP or 'cellular voice' - we get the signals.
    Developer of VoIP2Go at ozvoip.net - Alarm compatible VoIP Network

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MCman View Post
    When we tested all of our panels, they worked perfectly on Uni-V ports except for one provider.
    With respect, alarm panel manufacturers have absolutely no control over how the NBN will change over the years. I've seen the same thing happen in the US with MFVN (similar to NBN Uni-V), where they worked with the security industry to get alarms working on the test bench. As time went by and the demand for clearer voice and lower costs increased, things changed and alarm systems started to fail again.

• The Following User Says Thank You to IPAlarms For This Useful Post:

MCman (07-10-15)

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast