Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reminiscences and Incidents - The story of the Early Wimmera by William Candy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mango View Post
    this is very interesting. mrs boase and her husband opened a news paper called the dunmunkle standard in murtoa, they sold it to a relo of mine,
    your lot seem to have been everywhere my lot have been, we might be prick relations

i remember the name candy from somewhere.
    Interesting, I thought you might enjoy a read of it mango.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    During a conversation with some In Laws about 'families', the comment was passed that 'way back when', because there were 'sort of Gaps' in the family tree, thought was there could be Aboriginal blood in the family line and as such, it was never spoken about.
    Why would gaps in the family tree mean there could be aboriginal blood ? Based on the above, you could have any sort of blood in the family if there is a gap - with a very heavy likelihood of it being european unless there is something you havent mentioned in the above paragraph.

If for some reason there is more to what you are saying, see my other thread about Ancestry DNA and pay $150 for a test. If you can scrape up some Aboriginal DNA, hell , there are all sorts of rewards on offer. Fame, chicks, grog, money, rewriting the constitution.....indigenous spokesman for your town Its the gift that keeps on giving in Australia, no matter how little Aboriginal blood you have. Just ask Adam Goodes, he only has about 25%.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

allover (31-12-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 533 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Interesting, I thought you might enjoy a read of it mango.
    i was born in murtoa.

so were a couple of others on the forum.
    Last edited by mango; 29-09-15 at 01:48 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mango For This Useful Post:

admin (30-05-21)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Why would gaps in the family tree mean there could be aboriginal blood ? Based on the above, you could have any sort of blood in the family if there is a gap - with a very heavy likelihood of it being european unless there is something you havent mentioned in the above paragraph.

If for some reason there is more to what you are saying, see my other thread about Ancestry DNA and pay $150 for a test. If you can scrape up some Aboriginal DNA, hell , there are all sorts of rewards on offer. Fame, chicks, grog, money, rewriting the constitution.....indigenous spokesman for your town Its the gift that keeps on giving in Australia, no matter how little Aboriginal blood you have. Just ask Adam Goodes, he only has about 25%.
    This comment was made when talking to MY IN-LAWS, not my side of the Family and exactly how, where and when if anything happened at all was very vague and based on how many were in the family just didnt add up based on what little records there were so this was considered a possibility.
    My intent here was to say what happened all those years ago happened and we cant change the past so it has to be accepted and not judged or critisised on today's standards.

From some less than friendly comment made about relatives during Family discussions, I gather my Paternal Grandmother ran a Sly Grog Shop in one of East Sydney's less than salubrious suburbs like Surrey Hills or Woolloomooloo.
    With the price of land there I wish it was still in the family but it would only have been rented and who knows if they even paid that during the Depression Years.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Had started to read this thread in the past and gave up due to time constraints, but meaning to return to it. To day was the day, holidays and 39 degrees out side
    Had read "A fortunate life" in the recent past, a story of hardship and perseverance of a settler, this post very similar. Have a 24 year old still in bed at 12.10pm who cannot even put a dish back in the sink, wouldn't it be great to take him back in time and drop him in William Candy's shoes, nah the fat slob would die of starvation not diabetes
    Congratulations Admin for the post and as to those who have not read as yet, i highly recommend it
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

• The Following User Says Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

admin (30-05-21)

Administrator
    Thanks

Thought you might find this amusing allover.

While sitting on my arse all day doing nothing constructive aged 50, what was William Candy aged 50 doing ?

As Secretary of the Warracknabeal Agricultural Society, he was out on his push bike riding 300 miles looking at crops to report back on.

300 miles = 482.803 km's.

This is 1904 we are talking about.....I dont reckon bike seats would be too comfortable.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

He'd be peddling like buggery all day, too. At 30 I could average about 20mph on my pushie, but for 15 hours? He'd be fit all right.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Administrator
    Thanks

Hey allover are you ignoring me ? (Thinking if I have upset him enough to go on ignore list over last 18 months)

Administrator
    Thanks

William Candy aged 25

Administrator
    Thanks

And one more

Administrator
    Thanks

Sorry for the bump, this was posted a number of years ago and all the images were lost when postimage changed their format.
    I regularly get people coming via Google contacting me asking about where the images are, so I have replaced them all and added a couple of portrait pictures I have so I dont have to email them to people.

I will also now add 3 pages from the book that was published, and that should satisfy history people who end up here via Google.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (06-08-19),VroomVroom (07-08-19)

Administrator
    Thanks

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (06-08-19),lsemmens (07-08-19),Tiny (06-08-19),VroomVroom (07-08-19)

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12