Thread: Any graphic design experts here?

In the back of a 50 kW AM broadcast transmitter
    Thanks

Default Any graphic design experts here?

On occasions I need to have things screenprinted, and my screenprinter asked me if I could supply him the artwork as a vector graphic.

Here's the deal:

I get control panels where the graphics have worn off (or fallen off due to poor screenprinting from 30+ years ago).
    I need the markings on these panels to be redone.
    I scan the panel as a TIF file and send this to the screenprinter.
    He then converts this (or creates a vector graphic from scratch perhaps?) and prints the panel.
    The results are excellent.

What I want to be able to do is create the vector artwork myself. I have plenty of time to do it and it would speed
    up the printing process.

What I want to know is how to convert a scanned image of the graphics on a panel to a vector graphic.

Look Here ->
    Banned

Thanks

It depends on what system you are using, if you were using linux, you'd probably use auto trace in the command line if that's the way you work, or install frontline, which is its GTK front-end, all free and extremely powerful. There was be a windows version, but knowing the deranged attitude of microsoft, they may have blocked it after win7, as it won't make them any money, as it's free. The graphic designers I know use linux exclusively now, as it's light years ahead.

If you're using last century junk, then maybe this will help you.

• The Following User Says Thank You to spook For This Useful Post:

BCNZ (06-10-15)

In the back of a 50 kW AM broadcast transmitter
    Thanks

Thanks Spook.

Linux is all a bit too much for me.
    So, I'm stuck with Windoze.
    By the look of that Wiki, I need something like Photoshop to do what I need.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Not sure but might do that for you. I only use it for CAD work but the plugins and libraries are awesome, and, per private use, all free!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Studio1 View Post
    Thanks Spook.

Linux is all a bit too much for me.
    So, I'm stuck with Windoze.
    By the look of that Wiki, I need something like Photoshop to do what I need.
    Inkscape is what you need and it comes for windows, it's absolutely brilliant.

It operates flawlessly with Gimp which also runs on win 8-10. It is comparable with photoshop, much more friendly and unlike microsoft software, neither eats up your ram or disk space, as well as being light years ahead in speed and add ons. There are lots of tutorials and having used photoshop for years and now gimp, considering gimp is compatible with many other forms of editing and media software in linux, for me it's dream come true for ease of use, reliability and diversity. The options and the number of add ons seem to be endless, yet to find anything I can't do with it, even edit and enhance movies. Can't wait until I learn how to animate with it, the only drawback was getting used to how it opens in separate windows, now have found it easier to use that way. May be worth a try for you, if you have the time to spend on it and at no cost.

This tutorial will show you how to make a vector graphic using gimp and inkscape, it may help you.

Last edited by spook; 06-10-15 at 01:35 PM.

Thanks

The best way I have found (being that I do this kind of work for a living) is to do it manually (not using auto trace etc). This way you get the detail perfect. Otherwise it may trace blurred pixels and not give clean lines. Now the best software in my opinion to use for vector work is Adobe Illustrator. You can get a trial version and have a play. There's a little bit of a learning curve to creating vector graphics, it's rather fidley. Once you get over it though it's rather enjoyable.

Premium Member
    Thanks

I agree with Spook, Gimp and Inkscape. There are heaps of videos on youtube.
    Take a photo, make it one layer, scale it to suit the correct size and play away.
    I did some arcade artwork this way, even with pasted jpg pictures on it, it looks quite good.