Thread: formattung a 32G micro sd card

Banned

Thanks

Default formattng a 32G micro sd card

The 32G micro sd cards I use in my dash cam, won't work any more for some reason. When I downloaded the vid's off them and delete the content, they say there is only 1.9G available. When I put them in the dash cam, it says the storage medium is full. So was wondering, would formating them make a difference, or should I remove just a few files at a time and not the lot. Played around with one and deleted everything and now it won't even register as being there, so decided to get some advise before doing anything else. Didn't happen with 8-16G SD, but 2 x 32G have done the same thing and don't want to wreck any more until I have an answer.

Look Here ->
    Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

Try

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jwoegerbauer For This Useful Post:

Lobby Dosser (26-06-21),peter3535 (05-10-15),porkop (05-10-15),Tiny (04-10-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

if you can plug it into a card reader, or maybe camera or phone that shows on the pc
    go to my computer, right click in the device\card
    go format, pick fat 32
    quick format
    should wipe it
    probably got recycle bin or temp files on it, hogging the space

https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Philquad View Post
    if you can plug it into a card reader, or maybe camera or phone that shows on the pc
    go to my computer, right click in the device\card
    go format, pick fat 32
    quick format
    should wipe it
    probably got recycle bin or temp files on it, hogging the space

Don't use last century bloatware any more, use linux mint and haven't been using it long enough to fully understand how to do things properly. Really wanted to know if formatting it would help and from what you say, it may and will try it thanks.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

I had a similar problem recently to the OP (although not 32GB or dash cam).

I too thought that a quick format using FAT32 would be the answer, but after doing so, I still had a problem.

I then investigated further and discovered the SD formatting utility referred to in jwoegerbauer's post #2.
    After using the utility, the card was recognised as having the correct capacity and functioned perfectly.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Does your Car Cam have the option of reformatting a card and did you try it?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Banned

Thanks

tried the formatting in the cam, but it said it was already formatted and still only has 1.9g, which doesn't seem to work at all. Will go to a linux forum and ask there, thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,043 Times in 6,759 Posts

Did you try the utility jwoe & tristen suggested?

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

tristen (05-10-15)

Thanks

i had a similar issue a while back and used the program posted above by jwoegerbauer
    and it fixed the problem
    dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

Banned

Thanks

sd formatter is a windows and mac app, doesn't work on linux. Have been able to access the card in mint, can only recover a fraction before it gets an error. Reformatted it to fat32, reinstalled and nothing. So will wait until I get hold of my linux mate who will probably fix it in a couple of minutes.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

On "Linux" you use gparted (command line version: parted) to format an SD-card.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,516 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer View Post
    On "Linux" you use gparted (command line version: parted) to format an SD-card.
    Gparted is not always installed by default on some distros, which I find sensible for those who haven't been using it long enough to fully understand how to do things properly, as you can easily wipe out your whole system with a few mouse clicks.

so you might need to:

sudo apt-get install gparted

...and make sure you are wiping the right partition (it will never start with sda or hda, stay away!)
    The card may also just be faulty or a dodgy clone and beyond repair, in that case it may show in gparted an incorrect size.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Banned

Thanks

Used gparted to reformat one of the cards after doing some terminal work, now have to work out what I did that allowed gparted to connect to it and format, have another to fix as well. Now when I put the card in, nothing in gparted, yet it can be found and it is 32G. Checked one I have that's ok and it's fat32 as they say that's what cams use, I formatted the one to ext4 for linux to see what happens and now it can't be accessed.

Any way, thus exercise will get me more familiar with linux and will have to find the commands I used to get into the card. Typically when I got it to format, deleted the page the commands were on. Having use windows since the beginning for so long, have to say linux is so much easier to work with, especially if you want to get beyond the hood. No complicated code, all the commands are pretty much normal language. The terminal also tells you when you have it wrong and suggests steps to take to go forward, unlike windows.

I do a lot of video and audio work and spent heaps over the years with corel, photoshop and premier elements and kept my win because was told linux had nothing of worth for media work, My linux mate told me to try Gimp and open shot, can't believe how far ahead of windows they are, using blender and inkspot, opens up so many doors including 3d and an endless supply of different formats, plus you can create your own.

Thanks to everyone, using linux is an easy learning curve I'm beginning to really enjoy, wish I'd got into it a few years ago instead of struggling with the antiquated slow and bloated junk called windows. Only got rid of windows a week ago and that's when I learnt gparted. Another surprise was libreoffice, installed the mega package and it makes office look like infant school stuff and having a system that is fast to load, fast the use and constantly upgraded without having to download huge files, most updates are just a few megabits and bugs are extremely rare. Took a few years for my mate to get me to change but win8 and one experience with win10, along with being show what linux can do and that was it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to spook For This Useful Post:

Skepticist (05-10-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks

What had me scratching my head when first using GParted is the need to unmount the card or disc before you can start modifying/deleting/formatting etc. It's a very powerful tool and with absolute power comes the ability to corrupt absolutely so great care is advised

• 11-10-20, 11:34 PM