Thread: 'SCAN BLOCKER' or SCAM???

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default 'SCAN BLOCKER' or SCAM???

Theres an advert on TV for a 'Scab Blocker' the size of your ATM/credit card and the advert claims with this card beside your ATM/Credit Card, it will block any attempt of a scanning devise to read your card.
    This ad goes on to state it is possible to scan your unprotected card up to 5 metres away and this 'Scan Blocker' that uses no batteries will stop a scanner from 'reading' your card.

We are all well aware by now about this problem and by simply enclosing the ATM/Credit card in either a metal case or aluminium foil wrapper stops this happening.

I could not see a chip on the so called 'Scan Blocker' card but thats not to say it didnt have one but if it does, would I be right in guessing it does and when it is scanned, the scanner picks up the numbers from it and your ATM/Credit card and it either shows them altogether or it confuses the reader to perhaps show an 'Error' or bad read ???
    Taking this a step further, if my summation is correct you would not want to try and use the scanner with too many people in close proximity would you?

This is being sold for $80 including P/H but on a 'Buy One, get one Free' basis but for $40, I can buy 10 el cheapo multi card holder metal cases.

I am curious what the 'experts' think of the idea and would having 2 cards together as many have more than one credit card, cause the same 'blocking' effect when being scanned together at the same time?
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 05-10-15 at 11:34 AM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Landytrack (09-10-15)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I think that 2 RFID chips together with the same activating frequency (ATM cards) will confuse the reader - just shopping with 2 Debit visa cards in the same wallet gives a failed read......

but with different activating frequencies (ATM card and work door card together) they don't even care about each other - so I'm thinking it is all about the specific activating frequency and the response given, so 2 of the same confuse the scanner

f
    有段者

Premium Member

Thanks

Your right about concerns with these RFID credit cards, one of which I have and never use for security reasons.

However yesterday made a purchase, only about 20 bucks or so, and was short of cash which I normally use. So whipped out what I thought was my normal eftpos access card to do a swipe but instead had pulled out my RFID credit card.

I was surprised as to how sensitive the reader was, it picked up the card when it was easily about 6" 150mm away and made the transaction.

No manual verification on my part.

So if some low lifer either steals your card he could run off and make purchases of all sorts.

And then there is the issue of some illegal scanner in someones pocket or such quietly reading your RFID card without you knowing.

Think I'll invest in one of those shielded wallets or card holders.