Thread: Ducted Air Conditioning

Thanks

Default Ducted Air Conditioning

Just moved into a new house last week..... finding little issues here and there at mentioned in other forum groups, hopefully this one isn't off topic.

So its a 2 storey house, there is apparently 3 zones
    Kitchen, Lounge, Bedrooms (Kitchen and lounge downstairs and Bedrooms upstairs)

The control pad is downstairs. I haven't had a chance to check out what exactly happens when each zone is enabled, it doesn't seem to make a difference though.
    There is a push button for each of the 3 zones to enable them..... so far from what I've seen no matter what zones we enable/disable the kitchen zone has a lot of air coming out of it all the time.
    The bedrooms don't have much air coming out... especially the main bedroom.

ie if we have the Kitchen and the bedrooms, strong air coming out of kitchen.
    If we only have bedrooms on, its still the same strong air coming out of the kitchen and very soft in the bedrooms.

Is this something that can be configured? Is there normally motors or something that open up ducts when each zone is enabled?

Its set to cooling and on HIGH.

Thanks

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

If you can actually determine the make and model of system, someone is more likely to be able to give some meaningful assistance.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Banned
    Thanks

With ducted aircondioning usually one sector is always on to prevent problems if you turn all sectors off. The air flow to the individual sectors are controlled by dampers to set the required flow to each sector. Maybe the living area damper has opened fully and needs to be reset.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

There are also usually dampers on each individual register.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (12-10-15)

Thanks

More investigation. ..
    3 zones.
    Kitchen and Lounge downstairs
    Bedroom upstairs.
    Found that the damper motor seems to be stuck at 20%. I removed the motor and still doesnt drive.. it hums when trying to turn on... I manually opened the damper fully... Still low airflow... could it be because there are 4 ceiling vents off this zone so thays why its not strong?
    Kitchen zone stays on 100% all the time.. could be faulty motor or could it be programmed to always be on?? the controller doesnt allow all zones to be off at the same time (ie i cant turn all lights off) .
    Lounge zone turns off and on when requested. very strong...
    Do you think that the kitchen should be able to turn off and that would make the bedrooms stronger? I will need at least one new motor, maybe two.... time to hand over to the experts?

Banned
    Thanks

Something I've noticed in my many journeys through ceiling spaces is that mice seem to love using aircon ducts as mouse super highways. Check your ducting for holes.

Thanks

yep I found two leaks.. I have sealed them... not much difference

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    There are also usually dampers on each individual register.
    Usually each outlet has a adjustable flap behind the grill, you can open and close them as needed to find the flow that suits you, you may find that depending on the size of the duct and how close it is to the fan and how much air can return to be recirculated that flow can vary greatly, you may find too much in one room and not enough in others, closing the duct with too much flows more to the others without enough flow.

Might also be a good idea to read the instructions before assuming anything, modern systems can be complex if you dont understand the controller, once you do know the system and its not performing correctly call the builder to get the installer back in to correct whats not right.

At the end of the day it may just be a install issue....

Thanks

Thanks

So I have posted a picture of one of the damper motors.. all of them are the same at this... this one is stuck on about 20% and doesnt move when turning on and off the zone...this is bedroom zone.
    Lounge zone goes between minimum and maximum.. takes about 2+ minutes to drive the full distance each way..a should it be faster?
    Kitchen zone stays full on even when zone or the air conditioning is turned off.. should it close at least when it turns off?
    So I believe I have at least 2 maybe 3 motors not working properly.. how generic can I go with these? Are they a standard part?
    If i replace them do I need to set limits or anything? I still havent had a chance to check the brand of the whole unit... no manual either. Its 3 phase.
    Does a ducted system normally go stronger if you turn on more zones or is it always the same?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

From watching those US Home Reno shows, working on what I believe they call HVAC needs a good understanding of what the system is capable of and what it is doing now.
    One tool I have seen them use is an anemometer or air speed measure.
    I dont know if its the same one used to check wind speed outside or a special one to measure air flow through ducts but I can see the need for it because it will show how much air is coming through the vents rather than you trying to guess what it is.

Say your system claims to output one cubic metre per second/minute whatever at a specific point but the gauge shows considerably less, then at least you know there is a problem and can try to trace it back to find out why.

In your initial posting you say you have 'moved into a NEW house', is it new or is it NEW to you because if you have any problems being New built, you may have warranty options if it needs attention.

If not that New, finding the make and model of the system and whats its supposed to be able to do is the next step.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 16-10-15 at 02:56 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

The brand is Pioneer Air. the model number on the sticker hsd fadrd so i cant tell what model. It may be PS or DS 11. The house is 20yrs old... the unit could be that old too..

Thanks

The other thing to remember is where is the return air grill . If it is near the kitchen that outlet will work good. If you close your bedroom doors it will be much harder for the air to move .

Thanks

Return air is next to one of the bedrooms upstairs.... still not having any luck finding a replacement damper motor.. anyone seen the above type before? drive open/close.. no spring return..240v 3Nm...

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I typed up the model number and I got a brochure with all sorts of unreadable information but instead of saying 'Made in Switzerland' as shown on your motor, it shows a company name of 'Belimo' and made in SWEDEN........
    What the brochure showed was a multitude of similar control motors so you may find a replacement available under a different brand name.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

I purchased Belimo motor today but am going to take it back tomorrow... the shaft coming out isnt long enough so I am just going to buy new dampers which come with motors.. the brand might not be as good as belimo but this has to do the trick

Another thing I noticed. Between neutral and the active terminals I have 240v on one and 120v on the other.. The one with 240v is the one which moves the damper... when turning a zone off or on that 240/120 switches over.... is this normal to still have voltage on both as this would partially oppose each other..