Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plumbing tap question

Thanks

Default Plumbing tap question

Dont know where else to write this.. lots of helpful people here...
    Just moved into a house a couple of weeks ago.. something weird with the taps... i dont know if its a tap feature, washer feature or maybe the washers are stuffed.... when turning the taps off all the way they turn back on.... what i mean is.. when we go to turn them off, they pass a position where there is no water but if you keep turning the tap till it stops, the water comes out again... some just a trickle, others a lot... if it was one tap then i would suspect the washer but there is about 4 taps doing it throughout the house.. anyone seen this??? I have only seen a tap keep leaking even when you turn the taps off hard... but in this case we have to turn the tap about a quarter turn towards ON for the water to turn off...
    Thanks

Look Here ->
    Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shonkster View Post
    Dont know where else to write this.. lots of helpful people here...
    Just moved into a house a couple of weeks ago.. something weird with the taps... i dont know if its a tap feature, washer feature or maybe the washers are stuffed.... when turning the taps off all the way they turn back on.... what i mean is.. when we go to turn them off, they pass a position where there is no water but if you keep turning the tap till it stops, the water comes out again... some just a trickle, others a lot... if it was one tap then i would suspect the washer but there is about 4 taps doing it throughout the house.. anyone seen this??? I have only seen a tap keep leaking even when you turn the taps off hard... but in this case we have to turn the tap about a quarter turn towards ON for the water to turn off...
    Thanks
    There are some types of washers and taps which can do this and it could be a build up of junk in the taps jamming the washer down, I'd flush the system, change all the washers and if that doesn't work, change the taps. It may also be a pressure problem, so a high pressure flush may help.

Thanks

i bet it is an old house by the sounds of it and the threads in the spindle
    are worn and is why they can be turned beyond the off position.

If this is the case then the spindles and washers will need replacing
    dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

Thanks

House is just on 20 years old... is the spindle part of the tap or is that a replaceable part?

Thanks

the spindle is the stem that the handle is attached to. If you turn the water off
    remove the handle and cover flange you then unscrew the spindle body.

Once that is done the spindle can be entirely removed by screwing it out
    Now if the threads on the spindle and body are worn etc it is quicker and simpler
    just to grab a new set, also check that the seat in the bridging set is not damaged
    because when the threads in the spindle go and people keep turning and turning
    then that creates gouges in the body seat and the water will then never turn off properly.
    Last edited by fandtm666; 11-10-15 at 08:24 AM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (11-10-15),WhiteOx (11-10-15)

Thanks

When you say grab a new set do you mean replace the whole tap? dont really want to do that as the taps are the same through the house.... will try the parts first hopefully no further damage..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

replacement seat inserts are available , they are like a stainless core with an O ring underneath , and you tap in into place over the old seat , making a new surface for the washer.

yours sound strange , post up a picture of the valve when you get one out , maybe they have been replaced with some sort of anti hammer valve which is now faulty.

Ive used Doust replacement washers in the past , they work real well for us arthritis sufferers. since then ive replaced the lot with new quarter turn valves ( ceramic )

Thanks

no you can still have the same tap handles and flanges , what you need to replace is the
    spindle and body. There are many different brands but seeing yours are 20yr old
    that would narrow it down to dorf or donson brands.

take the spindle and body to either reece - tradlink - plumbers co-op and get a replacement
    that way you can still have the same handles and matching flanges.The replacement must be same
    brand because each brand has different thread configurations for the flange and handle

Last edited by fandtm666; 11-10-15 at 10:51 AM.

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

gulliver (11-10-15),Seymour Butts (11-10-15),shred (11-10-15),Tiny (15-10-15),WhiteOx (11-10-15)

Thanks

Sounds to like a split washer. Seals fine until you put too much pressure on it and the split opens up causing the tap to run. Change the washer and you should be fine. Just make sure it is a similar shape with a metal stem. Different shape washer can make difference to how it behaves and can cause the tap to be noisy.

No need to change spindles just yet. Start with the 50c part then go further if needed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by diavalo13666 View Post
    no you can still have the same tap handles and flanges , what you need to replace is the
    spindle and body. There are many different brands but seeing yours are 20yr old
    that would narrow it down to dorf or donson brands.

take the spindle and body to either reece - tradlink - plumbers co-op and get a replacement
    that way you can still have the same handles and matching flanges.The replacement must be same
    brand because each brand has different thread configurations for the flange and handle

That's not the case. The thread that goes into the breach is identical from spindle to spindle, so is the thread for the cover plate. The difference comes down to the head of the spindle, and even then there are only 2 types. Either a star type configuration or a thread with flats machined on opposite sides.

Steer well clear of ceramic disc tapware. Regardless of what vroom said. When they are new and work, they are great. When they aren't new, they are a nightmare. Constant breakages and failures. Not to mention 3 times the price of a standard washer tap set. I won't recommend them to my customers and wouldn't use them in my house.

Thanks

weird that at least 3 of the taps have the same issue.. they are all the same style.. so common problem with this combination

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by viper5150 View Post
    Steer well clear of ceramic disc tapware. Regardless of what vroom said. When they are new and work, they are great. When they aren't new, they are a nightmare. Constant breakages and failures. Not to mention 3 times the price of a standard washer tap set. I won't recommend them to my customers and wouldn't use them in my house.
    thanks , i didnt know they were that bad , this is the first time ive used them. if they fail i'll go back to conventional taps.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    thanks , i didnt know they were that bad , this is the first time ive used them. if they fail i'll go back to conventional taps.
    When they first came out , they were the best thing since hot and cold running water. Since then quality has gone down hill to the point of not being worth the money. Constant problems and breaking spindles is now the norm. For arthritis suffers they are still ok but now I recommend mixers to my customers, similar price (for a quality mixer) but much less problems.

Considering the price and the fact that there are no user serviceable parts makes them a poor choice. Failure means replacement, even under warranty you still need something to make it useable until replacement parts arrive.

• The Following User Says Thank You to viper5150 For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (17-10-15)

Thanks

Thanks

There is a picture of the tap... do these exist anywhere? it says Style Taps on it

Thanks

I used a brass body washer on the tap valve..done the trick on 2 not so old kitchen taps.

Thanks

Chrome and gold hasn't been in for quite a few years. They are still out there but will pay a premium because they aren't in high demand. I would see them at Tradelink due to having a few cheaper options. May not be exact but near enough should be good enough.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Chrome is making a comeback... lots of new homes with chrome fittings lately.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 533 Posts

i have a set like that in the bathroom, got parts for them from trade link or reece about 6 months ago.

Thanks

Annoying thing is there is no isolation for these individual taps... so while I have it removed to go hunting for parts, gotta keep the water off... might not be very common but my whole house is like that.. matching towel rails etc....one bathroom has all chrome without the gold so maybe previous owner has already been forced to go with a different product

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast