Thread: Public IP + Lan IP

Thanks

Default Public IP + Lan IP

Is it possible to setup a adsl2+ modem/router to give one computer or Virtual Machine a public internet IP address while leaving a home lan running for ipads and such and those lan devices to still have internet access?

I have a game server being a cow when it has a lan IP like 192.168.1.10, it works fine with VPN via hamachi and works fine for computers on the lan.
    Port Forward rules dont work with it, DMZ partly works, connection can be made but it stops there, my guess is it doesn't like NAT.

I do also have a spare router old netcomm thing I can add to the mix, and also willing to try setup something on HyperV VM or old laptop. Just need some ideas where to travel, I am not realy sure of all the networking terms to google for and not sure if I am asking the correct questions here.

Modem is a WAG320N Cisco/Linksys

Look Here ->
    Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

Just to demonstrate which terms commonly are used:

Thanks

Thanks for that link. So, i want one PC or Laptop to have WAN IP so i can try my game server, and the rest of the house to stay on LAN
    Is it possible to do this with one modem and a single internet account.

Banned

Thanks

If at least 1 WiFi-/LAN-enabled machine which accesses the Internet has Windows 7 or higher running, why not create a private virtual WiFi-router (topic: WiFi hotspot), all your other WiFi-enabled computers / devices then connect to? Very handy, such a virtual wireless router.

With the open source tool you make up any Windows 7 / 8.1 / 10 computer a WiFi hotspot. An alternative to the tool Virtual Router is payware . Connectify is Windows 10 compatible, too. A free lite version of Connectify is available, too, but there each session is restricted to 90 minutes.

Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 16-10-15 at 04:24 AM.

Thanks

Interesting concept, will have a tinker with that one.

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skozzy View Post
    Interesting concept, will have a tinker with that one.
    Short HOW TO using Virtual Router:

During installation, the tool establishes a new "Wireless Network Connection" under "Network Connections", which carries the designation "Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter". Once Virtual Router Manager is installed and running, then you can perform the fine adjustments.

1. Under "Network Name (SSID)", enter the network name. That's the name of the network that will be displayed when you try to connect to the Wi-Fi enabled device.
    2. Under "Password", enter a password that is required to access the Wi-Fi enabled device to the established virtual hotspot. Your password must be at least eight characters long.
    3. And on "Shared Connection" select the type of connection with the local host is connected to the Internet: If then select "Local Area Connection" via network cables, simply.
    4. Finally, you can activate the virtual router by clicking on the button "Start Virtual Router" and he is ready for use.

Important: Virtual Wi-Fi automatically takes care of encrypting the data, WPA2 is used. That's something you have no control.

Thanks

Also, is it actually your ISP blocking ports??

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gitch View Post
    Also, is it actually your ISP blocking ports??
    Don't understand your question.

The so-called WiFi-hotspot you can create if running Windows 7 and higher is local. Once created, you should be able to detect your new local network from your phone, tablet, or even another PC. But don't worry: your PC/laptop where the WiFi-hotspot was created, will retain its own Internet connectivity at the same time.

If you don't trust me, install a Web-proxy instead. So you can establish a wired local network.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer View Post
    Don't understand your question.

I was referring back to the original question / problem. I'm not sure why or how you're tangent is relevant. For the OP's 'gaming server' to obtain a public IP, you would need to configure both the modem as a bridge, and then gateway software on the server to allow the reminder of your devices to connect. From what I understand with your configuration, the gaming server will still have a private LAN address as issued by the modem and the other devices will be giving another private lan address from the gateway software (Unnecessarily double NAT'ing)...

So, for skozzy - what gaming server are you trying to run? Who is your ISP?

If setting up the DMZ for the server partially works, I would be guessing your ISP is blocking access to the appropriate IP Ports... This is a very common practise for ISP to help stop hackers gaining access to your system through misconfiguration.