Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No talk on data retention?

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpankedHam View Post
    Do not underestimate the inability to form useful relationships with those matches.

The US government poured untold billions into 'national security', built massive data storing warehouses and commissioned (or bought unused) electricity generation plants to run them, collected untold amounts of data on 'the baddies', analysed it and pattern matched it until the cows came home... and yet still failed to put it all together to stop those planes flying into the world trade centre buildings.

More information isn't necessarily better.
    As I explicitly mentioned in the beginning of this thread :

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    While it would be fairly useless to fight terrorism in Australia(you really need to know the content of the phone call or email/text, which of course they can always track anyhow) the metadata could be useful to track down those who cheat the welfare system and of course illegal downloads of copyright material.
    I am pretty sure that is the main incentive...
    The possibility of automatically identifying welfare recipient's undisclosed bank accounts and ebay vendors who may be hiding income from the tax system are only two examples how they can (and most certainly will) use this metadata.

The terror excuse is to brainwash the public to accept the beach of privacy "for their own good and that of Australia" but also using it to crack down on those misusing government funding has been quietly mentioned but may not be as popular, although this is also for the good of Australia.

While I personally think the breach of privacy horrendous I am still trying to see both sides. It is now becoming a (western)worldwide thing to do but all this reminds me of the communist occupation of East Germany with the Stasi spying on all the citizens and the government "encouraging" neighbours to spy on each other and report anything suspicious.

Again I keep asking myself: do we really have so many real terror attacks in Australia that justifies these means and cost? Perhaps I need more brainwashing.

On the other hand I find it horrendous how terror groups get into the minds of our kids and brainwash their easily mouldable minds with their propaganda and hate.
    Banning social media access under 18 (or even 21) would be far more useful that all this spying.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 18-10-15 at 08:22 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

Again I keep asking myself: do we really have so many real terror attacks in Australia that justifies these means and cost? Perhaps I need more brainwashing.
    yep, it's just a perfect bullshit 'reason' for big brother to monitor the public a bit more.
    just like the speed cameras save our lives
    and then under the pretense "we can't let terrorism win and change our way of life"
    by the looks of it, it already has
    Last edited by weirdo; 18-10-15 at 09:53 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weirdo For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (19-10-15),OSIRUS (19-10-15)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,092 Times in 9,096 Posts

How many does it take? I'm sure for Curtis Cheng there was one too many.

I am aghast at all this data retention, don't get me wrong, but in the end it would have happened anyway.

How are you going to ban social media? Shortsighted fools let THAT genie out of the bottle and now there's no going back. As we turn our youth (who are becoming adults) into mindless borg who believe whatever they are told by whatever luminary frequents the internet, we have to try to come up with SOMETHING to keep some sanity in society. I have absolutely no idea what.

Quote Originally Posted by SpankedHam View Post
    Do not underestimate the inability to form useful relationships with those matches.

The US government poured untold billions into 'national security', built massive data storing warehouses and commissioned (or bought unused) electricity generation plants to run them, collected untold amounts of data on 'the baddies', analysed it and pattern matched it until the cows came home... and yet still failed to put it all together to stop those planes flying into the world trade centre buildings.

More information isn't necessarily better.
    I agree, but just because they failed doesn't mean that they are on the wrong track. I am not able to come up with a useful alternative.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

tristen (19-10-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    How many does it take? I'm sure for Curtis Cheng there was one too many.

I am aghast at all this data retention, don't get me wrong, but in the end it would have happened anyway.
    Just because it would have happened does not mean that we should let it happen. How long before one of the government's or telecoms' datacenters are hacked and your sensitive personal information is leaked into the wild?

• The Following User Says Thank You to HBogard For This Useful Post:

weirdo (19-10-15)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HBogard View Post
    Just because it would have happened does not mean that we should let it happen. How long before one of the government's or telecoms' datacenters are hacked and your sensitive personal information is leaked into the wild?
    Totally agree. So do nothing then?
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

Just My opinion .....

Data Retension is a gross violation of peoples privacy ...... & most of the people in Legal positions were saying so when it was going though parliament

In the Electronic age we all carry a mobile phone, send emails, Browse the World Wide Web, & have a home phone line as well, ......

all adding up to a 24 hour a day electronic surveillance of where you are & where you go & who you contact etc ....

The potential uses of all this information in the future to find persons of interest, Businesses of interest, uses of interest etc ...... of your phone or Tablet, or Computer .....

all could lead to actions that reduce your freedoms .....

Don't give up your Privacy ...... you don't have to prove you are not doing the wrong thing .......
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OSIRUS For This Useful Post:

HBogard (28-10-15),Mr 672A (20-10-15),weirdo (20-10-15)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OSIRUS View Post

Don't give up your Privacy ...... you don't have to prove you are not doing the wrong thing .......
    I beg to differ. It seems that you now do.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your opinion 100%. But this personal surveillance (and that's what it is) has been touted for ages. BOTH major parties said they wanted it, BOTH major parties said they were going to bring it in, and BOTH parties voted for it. The majority of the population did sweet f*ck all about it and voted for football teams as usual just as BOTH major parties knew they would. Your privacy was sold out.

Whining on principle now serves little purpose in my opinion. Coming up with ways to limit the damage seems like a better track. IMO anyway.

I hate it, but it is what it is.

OSIRUS (20-10-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,239 Times in 1,920 Posts

So much for the "Australia Card" they got what they wanted by stealth & its Electronic, I'm just wondering how long before we start getting bombarded by more telemarketers with offers tailored from the data the Australian Government sold to them (via ISP's)......

(That was tongue in cheek....... but who knows)
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Al Bundy For This Useful Post:

enf (20-10-15),OSIRUS (20-10-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Use VPN's (I pass everything though a VPN on the Net ... no exceptions ...... check your DNS has no leaks when using a VPN ..... I made my home page .... first page I load when I open my browser)

of course there are lots more things you can do ..... to try to make your electronic device use private .....

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OSIRUS For This Useful Post:

enf (20-10-15),jwoegerbauer (20-10-15),lsemmens (20-10-15),weirdo (20-10-15)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Use VPN's (I pass everything though a VPN on the Net ... no exceptions ...... check your DNS has no leaks when using a VPN ..... I made my home page .... first page I load when I open my browser)

of course there are lots more things you can do ..... to try to make your electronic device use private .....
    I don't always use a VPN. Depends what I am doing. I also use a seedbox and secure ftp to retrieve stuff through the VPN.

ipleak.net is a good idea.

OSIRUS (20-10-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    I don't always use a VPN. Depends what I am doing. I also use a seedbox and secure ftp to retrieve stuff through the VPN.

ipleak.net is a good idea.
    that is exactly how i run on my system
    dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

enf (21-10-15),OSIRUS (20-10-15)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

I've been playing with a VPN as part of my new usenet account and your ipleak test is the bee's d*ck! I did find that if I log into hotmail using outlook, it fails to download messages until I turn the VPN off. I also get an email from hotmail telling me that I've logged on from a strange location. eBay allows me to log in and view my saved lists but seems to think that I want to look at the rest of the listings in the local language (of the VPN). A couple of other sites also report my unusual location via email. Whilst it is a nuisance, it is comforting to know that they recognise that I might not be who I claim to be.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 607 Posts

Same with gmail. So I only use VPN if I download things that aren't kosher.

• The Following User Says Thank You to jwoegerbauer For This Useful Post:

enf (20-10-15)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer View Post
    Same with gmail. So I only use VPN if I download things that aren't kosher.
    Not kosher? Whatever do you mean?

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I did find that if I log into hotmail using outlook, it fails to download messages until I turn the VPN off. I also get an email from hotmail telling me that I've logged on from a strange location.
    I personally use a Melbourne VPN Server to access Hotmail email accounts via outlook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I've been playing with a VPN as part of my new usenet account and your ipleak test is the bee's d*ck! I did find that if I log into hotmail using outlook, it fails to download messages until I turn the VPN off. I also get an email from hotmail telling me that I've logged on from a strange location. eBay allows me to log in and view my saved lists but seems to think that I want to look at the rest of the listings in the local language (of the VPN). A couple of other sites also report my unusual location via email. Whilst it is a nuisance, it is comforting to know that they recognise that I might not be who I claim to be.

Fix....

Install VirtualBox then create a windows VM and run your VPN and usenet in it. All other Internet use i.e. hotmail, ebay etc can be accessed without the VPN on the main OS.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mickstv For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (21-10-15)

LSemmens
    Thanks

Good idea mick. Might just do that.

Thanks

If you use Windows 7 as the VM, you can setup windows firewall to block all access except via openvpn. Then if the VPN service fails, your real IP won't be seen by anyone.

I can post up a setup guide if needed.
    Last edited by mickstv; 22-10-15 at 03:35 PM.

LSemmens
    Thanks

Please do mick. I've set up virtual machine and so far have only managed to convince Linux to run in it. So far, I've failed at convincing W7, W10, or XP to load in the VM. I'm wondering how I would apportion RAM effectively, because, from what I've read, the more RAM I allocate to a VM the less I'll have for the real machine.

Thanks

What OS are you running and is it 32 or 64bit. Also how much ram do you have installed in the PC.

What is the version number of VirtualBox ?

When you try to install Windows are you booting from disc or an iso. How far does the install get.
    Last edited by mickstv; 22-10-15 at 04:06 PM.

• Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast