Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No talk on data retention?

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Please do mick. I've set up virtual machine and so far have only managed to convince Linux to run in it. So far, I've failed at convincing W7, W10, or XP to load in the VM. I'm wondering how I would apportion RAM effectively, because, from what I've read, the more RAM I allocate to a VM the less I'll have for the real machine.

XP not loading is strange unless you are trying to run a 64-bit version.
    All others might fail because your CPU does not allow virtualisation (if it is a bit older) or it is disabled in the BIOS.
    XP will run on as little as 256MB but I would use 512MB.

...and err, what is wrong with using Linux for your 'special' needs?
    You won't have any worries with DNS leaks for starters and ppl spying on you through hidden apps accidentally downloaded or part of the OS is pretty much out of the question, as long as you keep your browser clean (clear cookies and beware of plugins, disable Flash) and up to date and NEVER use browser search bars, have an updated hosts file and maybe keep Google out doors in this setup. Search with Duckduckgo
    If you want safe computing there is a lot that can be found out about you even if you use a VPN.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 22-10-15 at 05:04 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post

...and err, what is wrong with using Linux for your 'special' needs?
    You won't have any worries with DNS leaks for starters and ppl spying on you through hidden apps accidentally downloaded or part of the OS is pretty much out of the question, as long as you keep your browser clean (clear cookies and beware of plugins, disable Flash) and up to date and NEVER use browser search bars, have an updated hosts file and maybe keep Google out doors in this setup. Search with Duckduckgo
    If you want safe computing there is a lot that can be found out about you even if you use a VPN.

Linux isn't free from DNS leaks whilst using a VPN, you still need to manually enter DNS settings into IPv4 and disable IPv6.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

The Linux community will argue with you that those are configuration errors, possibly from third party network managers and things can go wrong if you have to setup OpenVPN manually.
    IPv6 is always disabled by default.
    Never had to enter 'manual DNS' setting in the 10 years I have been using Linux or had DNS leaks, well I have played around with VPNs only since the last 5 years maybe.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 22-10-15 at 05:55 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

What OS are you running and is it 32 or 64bit. = Windoze 10 64bit

Also how much ram do you have installed in the PC. = only 4Gb

What is the version number of VirtualBox ? = Version 5.0.8 r103449

When you try to install Windows are you booting from disc or an iso. = Always ISO

How far does the install get. = depends upon which version I am using - generally a BSOD occasionally it swears at me claiming that I cant run 64bit even though I am attempting to install 32bit versions.

As for age of machine - It's a Toshiba L500 PSLS3A.
    Last edited by lsemmens; 22-10-15 at 06:31 PM.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

So far, I've failed at convincing W7, W10, or XP to load in the VM. I'm wondering how I would apportion RAM effectively, because, from what I've read, the more RAM I allocate to a VM the less I'll have for the real machine.
    I have / had all Windows editions running in a VM ( I use VMWare Player ), either Windows 7, or Windows 8.1 or even Windows 10.

• The Following User Says Thank You to jwoegerbauer For This Useful Post:

mickstv (22-10-15)

Thanks

Never had to enter 'manual DNS' setting in the 10 years I have been using Linux or had DNS leaks, well I have played around with VPNs only since the last 5 years maybe.

This is from a fresh install of Ubuntu 14.04.

cat /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/disable_ipv6

if=0 ipv6 is enabled, if=1 ipv6 is disabled.

Banned

Thanks

• The Following User Says Thank You to jwoegerbauer For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (22-10-15)

Thanks

What OS are you running and is it 32 or 64bit. = Windoze 10 64bit

Also how much ram do you have installed in the PC. = only 4Gb

What is the version number of VirtualBox ? = Version 5.0.8 r103449

When you try to install Windows are you booting from disc or an iso. = Always ISO

How far does the install get. = depends upon which version I am using - generally a BSOD occasionally it swears at me claiming that I cant run 64bit even though I am attempting to install 32bit versions.

As for age of machine - It's a Toshiba L500 PSLS3A.

Seeing as I don't have windows 10, I can't test the same setup. But as suggested by jwoegerbauer give VMware player a try. Pretty sure the link below is the correct one.

And use Win7 32bit for the vm

Last edited by mickstv; 22-10-15 at 07:13 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mickstv View Post
    This is from a fresh install of Ubuntu 14.04.

cat /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/disable_ipv6

if=0 ipv6 is enabled, if=1 ipv6 is disabled.

I use the network manager and it shows that IPv6 is disabled.
    If I enable it manually the VPN connection doesn't even work.

I am not sure what ghosts you are hunting in that folder.
    I checked the directory /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all
    and all files have 0B and a zero in them.
    They might be placeholders with whatever is required is in the file header.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 22-10-15 at 07:20 PM.

Thanks

I am not sure what ghosts you are hunting in that folder.
    I checked the directory /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all
    and all files have 0B and a zero in them.
    They might be placeholders with whatever is required is in the file header.

The line I found on various sites, it's just used to show whether IPv6 is enabled or not. The reason I showed this was because you said IPv6 is always disabled by default, but this incorrect. Not all OS have IPv6 disabled by default.

Thanks

The line I found on various sites, it's just used to show whether IPv6 is enabled or not. The reason I showed this was because you said IPv6 is always disabled by default, but this incorrect. Not all OS have IPv6 disabled by default.
    I think you misinterpreted my last message.
    The content of the file cat /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/disable_ipv6 seems irrelevant.

It shows 0 on my systen too but IPv6 is definitely disabled otherwise I can not create a VPN connection.

It does not matter if I enable it or disabled in the network manger it always shows a '0'

Last edited by Uncle Fester; 22-10-15 at 07:58 PM.

Thanks

I think you misinterpreted my last message.
    The content of the file cat /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/disable_ipv6 seems irrelevant.

It shows 0 on my system too but IPv6 is definitely disabled otherwise I can not create a VPN connection.

More likely your ISP doesn't support IPv6, or if they do maybe your router doesn't support IPv6.

I'm with Bigpond and from what I've been reading they don't support IPv6 at the moment.

Banned

Thanks

Always disable IPv6 support - true for Windows OS and every Linux distribution.

An IPv6 address can be doubly unique worldwide and is mostly also.

On the one hand this is done necessarily in the prefix, i.e roughly the first 64 bits of the address, which will be assigned to the customer by the ISP. This is necessary in order to carry out the corresponding Internet traffic. On the other hand is often once the interface identifier, i.e the last 64 bits of the address, which could be actually chosen by the customer of an ISP completely free for every computer world uniquely. The 128-bit IPv6 address consists of prefix and interface identifier and each piece of information can be quite sure of himself on a subscriber line or even subscribers. If even one of these information does not change frequently, so you have a unique identification feature.

Always only enable IPv4 support - true for Windows OS and every Linux distribution.

Windows users only:

Note the Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) check box affects only the specific network adapter and will unbind IPv6 from the selected network adapter. To disable IPv6 on the host (Windows OS), use the DisabledComponents registry value - subkey of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > services >TCPIP6 > Parameters . The DisabledComponents registry value does not affect the state of the check box. Therefore, even if the DisabledComponents registry key is set to disable IPv6, the check box in the Networking tab for each interface can still be checked. This is expected behavior.

Complete guide to disable IPv6 here:
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 22-10-15 at 10:10 PM.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

That warning link is quite good, Joe, the only issue I have with it is that is links to a solution using the Group Policy Editor which is fine if you are running the Pro or Ultimte versions of windoze from 7 onwards. the Home versions do not include gpol by default. A point I had forgotten as I have used gpedit.msc on occasion on my file server and I am attempting this on my lappy which is w10 Home.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

What VPNs do you guys use?
    Last edited by HBogard; 28-10-15 at 05:36 PM.

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HBogard View Post
    What VPNs do you guys use? Asking because I'm not aware which ones have proper hops set up in Australia and aren't susceptible to/in bed with ISP surveillance and logging.
    To trust your life a VPN service without logs, resembles Russian roulette. What really matters when choosing a VPN provider: transparency, trust, ease of use, performance and reliability.

All operators of a sufficiently large IT infrastructure (VPN service) know that the operation of this infrastructure with zero logs is impossible!

Thanks

The link below has some good info about choosing the right VPN service.

Banned

Thanks

When you type for example the URL/Domain Name (which humans understand) "VPN.COM" into your browser, instead of its IP-address (which routers and computers understand) like for example 123.456.78.90 your browser sends a query over the Internet to the website for "VPN.COM".

This always true:

The first server your query interacts with is the "Recursive Resolver", which can be operated by your ISP, your wireless carrier or a 3rd party provider. AT THIS MOMENT YOU GET LOGGED FOR THE FIRST TIME!
    The first type of DNS server the "Recursive Resolver" talks to is called Root Server. AT THIS MOMENT YOU GET LOGGED FOR THE SECOND TIME! The actually are running all over the world, they are operated by

Verisign,
    USC-ISI,
    Cogent,
    UMD,
    NASA-ARC,
    ISC,
    DOD-NIC,
    ARL,
    Netnod,
    RIPE NCC,
    ICANN, and
    WIDE

AT THIS MOMENT YOU GET LOGGED FOR THE THIRD TIME! The "Recursive Resolver" knows which other DNS servers it needs to ask to answer your original query "What is the IP address of VPN.COM?"

And so on ...

So, what you have to do is: Instead of having one of the above listed Root Servers used force using an ORSN Root Server (all ORSN root servers are running without query logs), and instead of let your ISP make use of a DNS server they decide, force using a free DNS Server for example operated by OpenNIC - as I do.

EDIT:

See also my post here:
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 28-10-15 at 08:27 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,193 Times in 1,905 Posts

2 plastic cups and a piece of string....
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Banned

Thanks

Probably worthwhile to read the study which investigates the claims of privacy and anonymity in commercial VPN services - 14 of the most popular VPN services were inspected. Result: Users who believe themselves to be anonymous and secure will be in fact fully exposing their data and activity footprint.

Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 29-10-15 at 07:16 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwoegerbauer For This Useful Post:

HBogard (02-11-15),KimIlSung (30-10-15)

• Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast