Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: No talk on data retention?

Thanks

Default No talk on data retention?

I'm wondering why there isn't any uproar or any angry threads about the matter here. Perhaps we can get some healthy discussion going on about it.

Updates:

I personally think communications services are going to see price hikes in subscriptions and packages. Tech savvy people will start using VPNs full time. And nothing will ever become of collecting ridiculous amounts of meta data from average joes, aside from the risk of it being hacked or sold to advertising companies.

Last edited by HBogard; 16-10-15 at 01:44 AM.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

There's been several threads discussing it since early this year, however, now that the telcos have data retention 'effectively in operation' this thread can serve as current discussion.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

admin (17-10-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

I've heard that about 84% of the Telcos are still not ready to store the massive amounts of data required.

Sounds like another classic government cock-up.

As well as that,
    "Only 58% had lodged a data retention implementation plan with government - the deadline for that passed in August - and of those who had lodged an implementation plan, 75% were yet to hear back from government."

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

While it would be fairly useless to fight terrorism in Australia(you really need to know the content of the phone call or email/text, which of course they can always track anyhow) the metadata could be useful to track down those who cheat the welfare system and of course illegal downloads of copyright material.
    I am pretty sure that is the main incentive.
    VPNs will make you a person of interest, unless everybody decides to use VPNs. Then the GOV will simply force ISPs to block VPN access.
    Why not just enforce surveillance cams with audio in the walls of every room in every residence in Australia ?! Or do you have something to hide ?
    Everybody is a potential terrorist anyhow.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 15-10-15 at 02:22 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

I've updated the top post with some current happenings. Lets keep this thread updated. List any developments in this thread and I will add those as well.

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    While it would be fairly useless to fight terrorism in Australia(you really need to know the content of the phone call or email/text, which of course they can always track anyhow) the metadata could be useful to track down those who cheat the welfare system and of course illegal downloads of copyright material.
    I am pretty sure that is the main incentive.
    VPNs will make you a person of interest, unless everybody decides to use VPNs. Then the GOV will simply force ISPs to block VPN access.
    Why not just enforce surveillance cams with audio in the walls of every room in every residence in Australia ?! Or do you have something to hide ?
    Everybody is a potential terrorist anyhow.
    The problem is what else can be done with that information. I'll quote a guy from reddit:

I don’t know if an insurance company will be able to access it in future, and affect my premiums.
    I don’t know if a future conservative government will implement a citizen score system[1] .
    I don’t know if my browsing habit will get me on a watchlist somewhere (I work in cybersecurity so I probably already am).
    I don’t know who will be able to access my metadata in future, because targetted hacks and the resale of stolen data[2] is very common.
    I don’t know if the data will be used to steal my identity, and because I can’t change my identity I know it’s hell to go through[3] .
    I don’t know where my data will be allowed to be stored[4] in future or if the protections of today will be revoked.
    You can check the for all the links he cited (sorry I'm lazy and tired) where he backs up these claims. It's some eye-opening stuff.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mandc View Post
    I've heard that about 84% of the Telcos are still not ready to store the massive amounts of data required.

Sounds like another classic government cock-up.
    Yep. Total cost is around $300 mil. And the consumers get zero benefit from them investing this amount.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 607 Posts

[...]
    the metadata could be useful to track down those who cheat the welfare system and of course illegal downloads of copyright material.
    [...]
    If I understood it well then metadata is information about a communication (the who, when, where and how) - not the content or substance of a communication (the what).

For phone calls, metadata includes the phone numbers of the people talking to each other and how long they talked - not what they said.

For internet activity, metadata is information such as an email address and when it was sent - not the subject line of an email or its content.

So why all the fuzz? Do not understand it. They can collect this metadata or not. With mobile phones I throughout use prepaid SIM cards to call my beloved

• The Following User Says Thank You to jwoegerbauer For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (17-10-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

How To Dodge Australia's Mandatory Data Retention Scheme

& another Article

Dodging Data Retention: How I Sidestep Government Spying

Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 607 Posts

A fool who believes Tor and/or VPN and/or any other method really hides him / her ( his / her data - his / her activities ) in Internet at 100%. If THEY want to get access to his /her data, his / her activities, then THEY get it. Also he / she never simply can trust any operator of an "exit node": it can be a fake "exit node" established by THEM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,224 Times in 1,916 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer View Post
    If I understood it well then metadata is information about a communication (the who, when, where and how) - not the content or substance of a communication (the what).

For phone calls, metadata includes the phone numbers of the people talking to each other and how long they talked - not what they said.

For internet activity, metadata is information such as an email address and when it was sent - not the subject line of an email or its content.

So why all the fuzz? Do not understand it. They can collect this metadata or not. With mobile phones I throughout use prepaid SIM cards to call my beloved
    Yep, correct Joey, although the thing that seems to be overlooked is while they have the metadata, it doesn't automatically mean that it's me ( the who) on the phone or keyboard, I may be responsible for the phone or the keyboard but it doesn't mean it's me.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

An example:
    Somebody rorts the welfare system by having undisclosed bank accounts.
    Up to now they would have had to inquire by each existing bank for each benefit receiver if they have a hidden account. With 1,000,000 here on Centrelink (I am just guessing) that would be an unachievable task, especially if the bank is offshore.
    With this metadata they can now run data matching with websites visited and very quickly locate bank website visits that are not disclosed, particularly SSL and regular access patterns. Possibly even SMS headers associated with the bank for two factor authentication, although some might use third party services.
    Anyhow benefit receivers with these patterns can be flagged and then become person of interest for further investigation.

Prepaid cards here must always be activated with sufficient photo ID and proof of address.

I agree with you on TOR and VPNs. They will also immediately signal a red flag, especially TOR and could create suspicion for further investigation.
    However if a LOT more people start using VPNs there will be so many red flags they can not do anything with this information alone.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 17-10-15 at 08:06 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

Given that the system requires ISPs to log all email and that includes spam, yes that's right spam(!), so much complete and utter noise is going to be collected that finding anything useful will make the proverbial needle in a haystack look like child's play.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

Seen something on the ABC the other day where available Meta data is being searched by "search engines" to make sense of it & then being used by companies to profile you & send you advertising etc customized for you .....

Not working 100% yet as two of the people being interviewed said they were still getting advertisements for the wrong genda & wrong age group & wrong country etc ..... (VPN's & other things can confuse the data)

Can you imagine how they may fine tune & improve the Profiling of you in the future ...... maybe searching your personality & where & who you contact etc .... to maybe give a prediction of what you may do in the future

Maybe searching a Persons Profile in the future could become as easy as using Google or Google Maps or Google Earth is today ......

Of course at the moment there is only a Specific list of usually Government organizations who have open access to your Meta Data ..... & anyone else the Minister gives access to it
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 18-10-15 at 09:35 AM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpankedHam View Post
    Given that the system requires ISPs to log all email and that includes spam, yes that's right spam(!), so much complete and utter noise is going to be collected that finding anything useful will make the proverbial needle in a haystack look like child's play.
    A needle can be found with a strong magnet, do not underestimate the power of data (pattern) matching software.
    A scam email mimicking Paypal will never have the string @paypal.com, so all others like @e.paypal.com will just filter out. Then when an individual is receiving a lot of @paypal.com emails a day and everyday, that individual will be identified as a possible Ebay vendor and flagged for further investigation if they are reporting the income to the ATO.

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Prepaid cards here must always be activated with sufficient photo ID and proof of address.
    That's not correct.
    You don't need any proof of who you are unless to want a re-loadable card.

You can buy as many of these 'Single Load Cards' as you want without showing any ID or having to activate them.

You can use any name on them you want.
    I paid for a load of chook shit to be dumped on my ex-wifes front lawn while she was at work.

• The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (18-10-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteOx View Post
    That's not correct.

I paid for a load of chook shit to be dumped on my ex-wifes front lawn while she was at work.
    classic is all i can say
    dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

• The Following User Says Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (18-10-15)

Administrator

Thanks

Of course I got the blame but she couldn't prove it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (18-10-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteOx View Post
    That's not correct.
    You don't need any proof of who you are unless to want a re-loadable card.

You can buy as many of these 'Single Load Cards' as you want without showing any ID or having to activate them.

Interesting tip

I actually meant pre-paid SIM cards for phone and data use because it seems from this comment:

that jwoegerbauer gets his pre-paid SIM cards activated without ID.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 18-10-15 at 11:18 AM.

Administrator

Thanks

I actually meant pre-paid SIM cards for phone and data use because it seems from this comment:
    Sorry mate, I thought you meant credit cards.
    Anyway it was the best $150 I ever spent.

Thanks

do not underestimate the power of data (pattern) matching software
    Do not underestimate the inability to form useful relationships with those matches.

The US government poured untold billions into 'national security', built massive data storing warehouses and commissioned (or bought unused) electricity generation plants to run them, collected untold amounts of data on 'the baddies', analysed it and pattern matched it until the cows came home... and yet still failed to put it all together to stop those planes flying into the world trade centre buildings.

More information isn't necessarily better.

• The Following User Says Thank You to SpankedHam For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (19-10-15)

• Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast