Thread: XTVA Wiring & Issue(s)

Thanks

Default XTVA Wiring & Issue(s)

I finally have all the bits together to get my XTS5000 going and the XTVA. I've put negative, positive and ign up to the powersupply on my desk and when I plug the radio in I get 2 ambers flash once then 1 solid red. The radio comes up with remote. I get a quick flash of green on the indicator on the W3 HHCH and then nothing.

Pressing the PTT works, channel changes appear to work etc but no display or backlight on the HHCH. As far as I was aware the dim pin was only if you wanted the dim ability.

Any ideas folks?

TIA.

Look Here ->

Thanks

The first part of the question, from the user guide...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigfella237 For This Useful Post:

tristen (20-10-15),tsunami_australia (20-10-15)

Thanks

Appreciate the scans at least the indicators thanks. However it wasn't what I was after.

The hhch is not lighting up though after writing this I noticed there was some screen activity just it was too dim or whatever to read or see. None of the keypad lights up either. Will try to remember to post some pics or something of what it does tomorrow.

Thanks

May be some help...

...but to save me scanning more pages, I've also uploaded the User Manual for you here:

I think I have service manuals for the XTVA too if you need them?

I have a couple of XTVA's with W3's in a box around here somewhere but I never got around to fitting them. Not sure if there is a contrast adjustment for the display (but I doubt it)?

Andrew

• The Following User Says Thank You to Bigfella237 For This Useful Post:

tsunami_australia (20-10-15)

Thanks

Cheers for that. Doesn't cover installation (my next search) but handy just the same of course .

Thanks

Ok just got word from Motorola Silverwater that the *person* who supplied it supplied the wrong head . Apparently it should be a PLN7737x and I have a HMN4044E. So someone just swapped the cable out (it's on an RJ45connector) and expected it to run. So apparently what I have is the head off a Spectra (W3) and the brick of an XTVA and a frankenwhatever that doesn't work.

I will have to look for the replacement head I guess and hit the seller for half refund or something. Anyone in AUS have any of these laying around before I have to fleabay it?

Thanks

Here is the Instruction Manual:

Which includes installation and seems to also double as a service manual?

Andrew

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigfella237 For This Useful Post:

knightnblue (29-10-15),tristen (20-10-15),tsunami_australia (20-10-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsunami_australia View Post
    ~ Apparently it should be a PLN7737x and I have a HMN4044E. So someone just swapped the cable out ~
    Well there ya go, I always assumed they were just a W3 HHCH with a different cord myself, I knew the part numbers were different but I guess I just never paid that much attention?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella237 View Post
    Well there ya go, I always assumed they were just a W3 HHCH with a different cord myself, I knew the part numbers were different but I guess I just never paid that much attention?
    Yes I thought they were the same as well but according to M they are rather different in the electronics. So I'm fuming atm.

Thanks

For future readers, this thread is now continued in a new thread here:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella237 View Post
    For future readers, this thread is now continued in a new thread here:

To answer your other question and note here.. apologies I forgot about this thread.

Should also say... do you have anything to add on possible reasons for this behaviour from the unit?
    Last edited by tsunami_australia; 29-10-15 at 10:41 AM.

Thanks

I finally managed to fireup my XTVA and have a speaker lead part number and price from Moto. However I have a big issue.

The head which came with the unit was a HMN4044E which boots up and gives full control (each button works and does what it should like the chan rocker, home, top3 functions, etc) but has no backlight on the keyboard and the screen only has a VERY pale bit of grey come up (enough I can see it change but not enough I can even read it under a light).

Motorola suggested it is the wrong HHCH and that it should be a PLN7737. I contacted the seller who found a PLN7737B. Now that head blankly refuses to boot at all full stop. Not even the green status light on the mic.

The lead supplied was an RJ45-RJ45. The XTVA is an NTN8560F. At the moment until I order the speaker & lead I'm running local speaker off the handheld for testing. I have IGN+POS+NEG connected to the desktop power supply here for testing. Testing is with an XTS5000 and approved/noted battery model (NNTN4437B and an NNTN4435B).

I'm hoping someone will have some ideas on WTF the issue is here as I would desperately love to have this fully functional and installed in the car.

I would also appreciate it if someone could let me know what the story is with the dim line from the 4pin (whether +12=lowlight, +0=highlight etc). Whilst the DIM "SHOULDN'T" have any bearing on my display issue it might be a handy feature in the future.

TIA

Thanks

Ok just stumbled on this blast from the past and have been successfully using an XTVA for a couple of years now. I was searching the pinout of the J1 speaker connector to hook an aftermarket amp on so I can run an aftermarket speaker since Motorola no longer sell the speaker for them and I can make one about 1/10th of the price.

There was some issues back when with that cradle IIRC. I had an A series which wouldn't charge or something like that and the F series which had some serious issues with a regulator somewhere as it wouldn't backlight the W3 and wouldn't charge the speaker.

I replaced with a different F series cradle (got 2 from the USA at a hell of a postage cost) and one worked upfront never been an argument with it and the other I had some major issues with but a re-initialise several times and something else I did and it come good. I have the 1st with the speaker I got just floating in the wife's car since I'm "not allowed to hard install" and it works bloody awesome and got us out of the poop in an ice patch the other night. The other cradle less speaker (why I'm looking) is in my data rack with the head on my desk for my 70cm+scanner. I think from somewhere (blowed if I can remember where) I have another F series cradle that works.

My initial testing was with a 7737A head which had it's own issues. The kit had to be removed from my car at the time because it would NOT cradle sense which obviously made a huge issue for my scanning. I've since come across a large collection of goodies from someone upstate of NY or somewhere nearby that included 4 odd 7737B's, a PSM for the 5000 itself and some ear tubes for it that fit the PSM. Again postage was an expensive exercise but I'm glad I did it. Now them 7737Bs work REALLY REALLY well with these F series cradles and were BNIB. They have a decent contrast, nothing like the 03 where you can read it from miles away but if you look directly at it or pick it up there's no issues with seeing the display. I'm set to put an XTVA back in my car soon but would need an external speaker as the cradle mounts in the boot and again comes back to my current search. It pairs REALLY well with the Icom 2730A for amateur to get me on 2m when out and then when in the car does my road CB + scanner.

So just wanted to give a looking back what happened, what was found etc for anyone who stumbles upon this thread with similar issues. The cradle with the no backlight's issue was an internal reg somewhere but new mics, new cradles and no problems. It seems I'd brought a collection of other people's rubbish ... just my luck.