Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Turnbulls FTTN

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Default Turnbulls FTTN

FTTN is due to be switched on at my place 27th Nov, I'm a tad over 500 meters from the node so I don't expect full speeds.
    But here's something I found strange:
    Estimates was told there were only 58 paying subscribers on the FTTN network, with about 5,100 premises ready to connect.
    I would have thought people would be falling over each other to connect to the NBN.

Look Here ->

Thanks

Interesting. There was practically a stampede around here once fibre became available. The crew that hooked up my NTD said they were flat around in the area with all the signups. Within the space of a couple of months the familiar yellow telstra barricades and service vans pretty much vanished as, at a guess, everyone had quit copper.
    Last edited by SpankedHam; 23-10-15 at 07:33 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,150 Times in 576 Posts

FTTN is a joke, basically no different to ADSL if you're close to the exchange, unless they can give me Fibre-To-The-Home then screw the NBN

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Interested to see what speeds you get and if it deteriorates as more house holds come on line
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

I should be connected early December.

There's a fellow in the next suburb away from me who posted his stats on whirlpool although he's fairly close to the node (Estimated Pair Length: 235.7 m).

Downstream Upstream
    Line Coding(Trellis): On On
    SNR Margin (0.1 dB): 105 139
    Attenuation (0.1 dB): 137 0
    Output Power (0.1 dBm): 116 57
    Attainable Rate (Kbps): 125274 55081

Thanks

I spend a lot of time in a rural part of the UK. It is called fibre to the cabinet here, I am exactly 1Km from the cabinet the line uses underground cable to the distribution pole (DP) then 9 spans of overhead wire to the home.
    The sync speeds on ADSL were 480Kbps up and 5 Mb down. A year ago the new cabinet was installed, this improved the sync speed to 7 Mb up and 27 Mb down at the premises. I know that the DP gets around 40 Mb so there is quite a loss in the last bit of the route.
    I do not know how relevant this is with regard to Australia but hope it may give you some idea of what to expect. I was one if the first to be upgraded and there has been no loss of speed since with more lines being added. (so far anyway)
    These speeds are far from brilliant, especially compared with the post above but it is an improvement worth having. I can stream good quality video and the upload speed has made programs like Skype much better.
    Last edited by crabber; 24-10-15 at 06:56 AM.

Premium Member

Thanks

From the writer that states the Antarctic ice shelf's are not melting, who needs friends like this. You would have to be a total fool to think that Malcolm was not going to leave him self open at some point #

Thanks

A lot of copper installation in Australia is by Isolated Terminal Poles, where the cable in the street is underground, but then runs up an electricity pole and connects aerially to the houses. The problem here, is that each pole has a connection box where EVERY pair is joined (i.e. there is effectively a separate cable run between every pair of poles). Each interconnect introduces discontinuities (losses) in the run, and reduces the effective capacity. Also, much of this copper and the associated boxes is not in good condition. It will be very interesting to see what the AVERAGE speed will be, but IMHO there will be massive costs involved in getting the existing copper up to the standard needed for everyone to get the minimum proposed FTTN speeds. AFAIK remediation of copper infrastructure isn't in the NBN costing. I doubt there would be a great deal of difference in FTTP & FTTN overall costs if this was included.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jgm View Post
    A lot of copper installation in Australia is by Isolated Terminal Poles, where the cable in the street is underground, but then runs up an electricity pole and connects aerially to the houses. The problem here, is that each pole has a connection box where EVERY pair is joined (i.e. there is effectively a separate cable run between every pair of poles). Each interconnect introduces discontinuities (losses) in the run, and reduces the effective capacity. Also, much of this copper and the associated boxes is not in good condition. It will be very interesting to see what the AVERAGE speed will be, but IMHO there will be massive costs involved in getting the existing copper up to the standard needed for everyone to get the minimum proposed FTTN speeds. AFAIK remediation of copper infrastructure isn't in the NBN costing. I doubt there would be a great deal of difference in FTTP & FTTN overall costs if this was included.
    From what I have seen with this combination it is done partly because its cheaper and faster to run 'Aerial Cable' to a subscriber or to dig is just not feasible.
    I saw this where I worked when the Public Phone kept playing up and to replace the line meant they had to dig up over 250 metres of tarred Car park so they just ran a replacement aerially.
    For some weird reason they laid a cable past my house roughly 4 pole spans from what used to be the local exchange to a corner before surfacing to run aerial lines to the three residences, each in a different direction.
    When they came and removed my pole line during this upgrade, I and the next house, each got a 2 pair stand alone cable running about 200 metres directly into the hut.
    For some years part of the route where it crossed a boggy area caused lots of problems so according to the then Telstra linesman, they ran a one pole span of wires as a 'Temporary Fix'.
    Knowing Telstra today, that Fix is still in use as the wires are still there.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteOx View Post
    FTTN is due to be switched on at my place 27th Nov, I'm a tad over 500 meters from the node so I don't expect full speeds.
    But here's something I found strange:

I would have thought people would be falling over each other to connect to the NBN.
    I have read similar on and off since the NBN first started becoming available. Maybe some areas have lower rates of interest for varying reasons, ie, age, employment , other ? I have also read, as Spankedham mentioned, other places where people are lining up for it.

Anyway, good to hear you have a date for it. Like many I still have nothing...hard to believe really.....you would expect some sort of date or year to be available.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    . Like many I still have nothing...hard to believe really.....you would expect some sort of date or year to be available.
    starting some time late next yr for you if you have cable but if not then late 2017 start date

VIC Frankston - Frankston South HFC H2-2016
    VIC Frankston - Frankston FTTN H2-2017

dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Not on the list unfortunately mate.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

False economy.

Fibre is cheaper than copper.

Thanks

Remember it was Turnbull (then opposition spokesman on communications) who made the grand pronunciation that we didn't need fixed connections, as everyone was moving to wireless & it could easily handle 100Mbps & more.

Premium Member

Thanks

Wireless has its definite advantages in that it is quicker, more flexible and most likely cheaper to initially install than other forms like Optic or Copper cables.
    But it has its disadvantages of not being able to reach all customers in a coverage area due to objects in the signal path as well as Electro magnetic interference.
    I am not certain if wireless has the same capacity as the others or not.

I have not seen all the plans and prices for both 'Landline' ADSL and Wireless but so far the ones I have seen show a much greater cost to go 'Wireless' than use a 'Landline' ADSL connection.
    By 'Landline' I mean either an Optic Fibre or Copper cable laid in the ground whether the 'telephone' is connected or not to it.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Wireless has its definite advantages in that it is quicker, more flexible and most likely cheaper to initially install than other forms like Optic or Copper cables.
    But it has its disadvantages of not being able to reach all customers in a coverage area due to objects in the signal path as well as Electro magnetic interference.
    I am not certain if wireless has the same capacity as the others or not.

I have not seen all the plans and prices for both 'Landline' ADSL and Wireless but so far the ones I have seen show a much greater cost to go 'Wireless' than use a 'Landline' ADSL connection.
    By 'Landline' I mean either an Optic Fibre or Copper cable laid in the ground whether the 'telephone' is connected or not to it.
    The main limitation was (is) its speed would dramatically drop, proportionally to the number of subscribers using it. But there have been a number of recent developments lately

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

I live in the national capital. My place may possibly get it, POSSIBLY, buy late 2018....I don't REALLY need it, but there must be people who do.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Premium Member

Thanks

Enf, don't know if you saw this article or not
    Last week Delimiter released analysis showing that the NBN company’s three-year plan includes a plan to overbuild the long-established Fibre to the Node network operated by TPG subsidiary TransACT in Canberra.

The Canberra FTTN network has been in place for more than a decade and is already open access so that other telcos can use it. However, the NBN company is planning to comprehensively overbuild the network with additional FTTN open access infrastructure.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post

False economy.

Fibre is cheaper than copper.
    Wireless is already out there. I think the NBN is the biggest waste of money ever and could have used more productively. Let the Telco's upgrade their own infrastructure if need be.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Premium Member

Thanks

I always thought the NBN concept was to bring together under one umbrella, a consistent network incorporating, Cable (Optic or Copper), Wireless and Satellite instead of the piecemeal hastily cobbled together set up that was then in place.
    Also it basically forced the connection of the 'Network' to ALL Homes, business etc rather than only connect those where it was deemed profitable to the carrier to do so and so you end up with some areas being left out completely, sometimes by just a few houses or on the 'wrong side of the street'.
    I understand this occurred in Cabled Metro areas where if you not on the direct run of the Cable even if you were prepared to met the very high cost of doing so, they wont connect you.

The Telco's are only in it for a profit so leaving them to do it themselves would see vast areas never having a reasonable connection to the Network ever.

Look how long its taken the Mobile Phone Carriers to provide coverage off the major highways and into smaller population areas and even now, there are still 'Black Spots' on some Highways.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (26-10-15)

• Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast