Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617

Thread: Turnbulls FTTN

Thanks

The problem is that most of the NBN is reliant on OLD copper. It hadn't been properly maintained for years, and those with the skills to do anything about it are fast disappearing. It's clear that the NBN has to transition to some form of fibre (most probably FTTdp), but how many years is that going to take and at what cost.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jgm View Post
    It's clear that the NBN has to transition to some form of fibre (most probably FTTdp), but how many years is that going to take and at what cost.
    It's actually happening now, also known as FTTc (Fibre To The Curb).

The majority of areas not already serviced by NBN will have FTTc installations.

It's much cheaper than building FTTN and much quicker to install and cheaper than FTTP.

In most cases, data speeds are comparable to FTTP as the only copper used is the existing lead-in from the pit out the front of houses, to the building.

It's a shame this method was not adopted before all the FTTN infrastructure was rolled out.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

The majority of areas not already serviced by NBN will have FTTc installations.
    More likely they will be served by wireless.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    More likely they will be served by wireless.
    I was quoting fact, not a maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by NBN
    Currently planned for a 2018 debut, FTTC will be coming on board as an nbn™ network technology, replacing the term “Fibre-to-the-Distribution-Point” or “FTTdp”, which we had been using until recently when referring to developments in this area.

It says a 2018 debut, but some areas are already operating on it.

Thanks

Old copper..new copper, it doesn’t matter much. In fairness to nbn, I haven’t actually seen anything that says they will never upgrade or do anything, so I see the argument of what’s old and new as sort of moot. Doing technology migration on any front is a massive challenge, personally I think they are doing ok with it all. Sure there are some stuff ups but at least there is change in some form.

Not sure if we are missing the point, and that is looking at our needs, how we use data, how efficient can we be. Personally I don’t use nbn, rather other forms. Rather than complain I found a solution that meets my personal and family needs, it’s not that nbn is bad just doesn’t suit my applications and life style. Let’s look at fibre..what’s an average transmitter capable of in a common market? Couple of gig? So I use cloud computing, use 4g, watch Netflix all on 10meg. Personally I rather pay for bandwidth on demand. I don’t need air con running for servers or stuff about and it’s very compedative in price. Happy day.

Thanks

Maybe it’s the New Years beer talking :-) not that I’ve been on the inside of nbn, but others yes. It’s a bloody mammoth task think end users, we all are here...the about on forums..I don’t want a wall plate here, I don’t want to pay for this or that, I don’t want cables near my house, that node blocks my view..then we get to mapping, most of it would be modified over the years, pits, cables etc running everwhere, millions of connections, then there is all the old asbestos pits to deal with and break outs...old cable in houses and the list goes on and on. Then the red tape to do civil works, the changes in ohs, and all the back of house bits from monitoring networks to fault resolution. I mean it’s a huge undertaking..absolutely massive, planning, engineering, Admin...I know I would like fibre but this thing is probably one of the biggest overhauls in decades. Seriously when you think of just the logistics, legislation state and local, court cases for wireless towers etc etc etc...at least they are doing, yeah ok...fibre would be nice yesterday...but I can’t wrap my head around every aspect of a project this big. Don’t think many would.

• The Following User Says Thank You to donk For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (01-01-18)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

I hope for his sake that Bill Morrow takes his money, runs and retires. What an un envious position he put himself in trying to implement the coaltions NBN policy on non perfection. (some are suggesting to appease Murdoch) I wish him all the best for the future but also feel very sorry for him, even he was starting to apologize towards the end of his tenure as he realised what was expected of him could not be done
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I made an inquiry the other day for an area called NARONG, just North of Newcastle and the information an ISP gave was that the NBN is projected to commence between January and July 2019 and it will be by Wireless Network. However, this may change by the proposed start date.
    The biggest Town nearest me was to go 'Wireless' but despite having their 'Town 'Meeting' almost 2 years ago, nothing has been heard since.
    My Main Town was projected to start in the 'last Half of this year' but with no details of what system was proposed, nothing has been heard regarding that proposal except for the construction of a Wireless Network Tower in the nearby regional area.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,962 Times in 9,059 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    I hope for his sake that Bill Morrow takes his money, runs and retires. What an un envious position he put himself in trying to implement the coaltions NBN policy on non perfection. (some are suggesting to appease Murdoch) I wish him all the best for the future but also feel very sorry for him, even he was starting to apologize towards the end of his tenure as he realised what was expected of him could not be done
    I agree, it's an impossible job and always was...although I still see you are flying the outdated ALP myth....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    I agree, it's an impossible job and always was...although I still see you are flying the outdated ALP myth....
    WHAT out dated myth, i just made that one up then, geez things age quickly around here
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

• Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617