Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Nine HD in 2016 plus new Lifestyle Channel

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,871 Times in 886 Posts

Default Nine HD in 2016 plus new Lifestyle Channel

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pheggie For This Useful Post:

admin (01-11-15),mtv (28-10-15),OSIRUS (28-10-15),tristen (29-10-15)

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

Re-branding the same old sh!t

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Good move.

Wonder if the other networks will follow with their main channels in HD... including the regional affiliates and VAST.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (28-10-15),pheggie (28-10-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Good move.

Wonder if the other networks will follow with their main channels in HD... including the regional affiliates and VAST.
    with the introduction to online streaming the live channels regional stations would be stupid not to follow

Banned

Thanks

Nine HD will be 1920x1080 mpeg-4
    Last edited by pheggie; 01-11-15 at 05:07 AM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pheggie For This Useful Post:

joezep (20-11-15),OSIRUS (02-11-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

I always expected the primary digital FTA should be in HD and was disappointed when all stations quickly dropped the ball to add more 'shopping channels' and go SD for the most part.
    At last it appears they are doing the right thing even if they are being forced into it by the competition fron the likes of HD Netflix and HD Foxtel.

Fortunately my TV has Mpeg-4.....unfortunately I have now mostly abandoned FTA TV due to its content and low transmission quality....nothing like shutting the gate after the horse has bolted.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

To me this mish mash occurred back when Digital was being introduced and for some unbelievably stupid reason, both STB's and Digital TV's were being sold with SD tuners only and the cost of the HD version was quite a big difference.

I gather the 'thought of the Day' about making the 'Main' Channel SD was to ensure everyone would be able to receive it and that 'FREEVIEW' nonsense didnt help either with their promotions telling people that unless they bought their 'Approved' equipment, they would not be able to receive all the channels.
    Common sense sometimes gets forgotten when something new is being introduced like Digital TV for those with a vested interest in the system and from memory MPEG4 which we now have 3 channels using , was being considered but I dont know why it wasnt part of the Tuner Standards unless it was still in development.

Out of the 5 TV's I have bought over the last 4 years, only ONE and a Strong STB can receive MPEG4 which because of whats being broadcast on them I am not concerned about updating any time soon.

Like I cant understand the ABC putting their News Channel in SD when its mainly just 'talking Heads' and we dont need to see them in HD.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Good move.

You would hope so.....it puts pressure on them to do so, so hopefully all main channels will be HD.

Banned

Thanks

Sport to move from Gem to Go! bad luck for kiddies shows

• The Following User Says Thank You to pheggie For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (11-11-15)

Premium Member

Thanks

Seeing sport instead of Kiddies shows would be educational if they could learn to lip read what the players are saying, particularly when they get bowled a 'Googlie' or challenging the Umpires decision.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mandc View Post
    I always expected the primary digital FTA should be in HD
    It was, for 9 years.

and was disappointed when all stations quickly dropped the ball to add more 'shopping channels' and go SD for the most part.
    More out of a need to launch multichannels without removing the ability for SD viewers to see the main channel. Pragmatism won the day.

If GEM and 7mate weren't in HD, then you wouldn't have had *any* HD channels at all. There wasn't enough space to keep simulcasting, with the existing quality of MPEG-2 encoding a few years ago.

Then the encoders improved a bit more, but the regulations were still limiting the "true" multichannels to two. Everything else had to be "datacasting" which, unfortunately, included advertising. (It's 'interactive' if you Call Now, do you see?)

At last it appears they are doing the right thing even if they are being forced into it by the competition fron the likes of HD Netflix and HD Foxtel.
    Nothing about being forced to. They have been unleashed from the limit of 2 "true" multichannels (either since analogue shutdown or the recent amendments, depending who you read), so therefore GEM and 7mate and ONE can be switched down to SD now. This makes space to allow the main channel to go back to simulcasting.

The amendments *also* said they don't have to show their main channel in SD anymore either, but they are nowhere near ready to cut their noses off with that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by gordon
    To me this mish mash occurred back when Digital was being introduced and for some unbelievably stupid reason, both STB's and Digital TV's were being sold with SD tuners
    A mixture of News Corp's newspapers (for Foxtel's sake) and ABC (for their multichannel plans) and a particular small retailer who imported European SD-only TVs but went to the trouble of hiring a light plane with a big banner "STOP THE HDTV LIES!" because he believed the truth was HDTVs would cost $20,000, rather than be completely the only kind of TV you could possibly buy within 10 years of the stupid decision being made but I digress.

Nothing to do with common sense. Just lots of corporate interest and special interest.

and from memory MPEG4 which we now have 3 channels using , was being considered but I dont know why it wasnt part of the Tuner Standards unless it was still in development.
    No no no, all this happened in 1997-1998-1999 so you're completely off the ball there. We only knew what name to call MPEG-4 in 2002, and I'm not even sure if that was H.264 or the older MPEG-4 Part 2 which most of you knew for its famous implementation by DivX.

CK.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ckent For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (24-11-15),Smacca (15-11-15),weirdo (12-11-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Not a bad first post
    Most people just say hello
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ckent View Post
    A particular small retailer who imported European SD-only TVs but went to the trouble of hiring a light plane with a big banner "STOP THE HDTV LIES!" because he believed the truth was HDTVs would cost $20,000, rather than be completely the only kind of TV you could possibly buy within 10 years of the stupid decision being made but I digress.
    That was the inimitable Alex Encel from International Dynamics; geriatric bodybuilder, Europhile, lover of Loewe and Metz TVs. He railed against HDTV for ages in order to promote his hardware.
    An interesting guy who only closed Encel Stereo a few years ago. International Dynamics has morphed into Interdyn and is run by Alex's son Sam.
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

Banned

Thanks

Saw an ad on 9 saying a tuner rescan is necessary on the 26th nov to get 9HD must be a major change to do that.

Premium Member

Thanks

As some TV's wont update automatically it seems, this message maybe to advise people that if they dont rescan, they wont have the channel to watch.
    Maybe those in the 'Trade' can fill in the details of what is involved as the channel is 'shifting' the HD/SD slots about.

Is it a 'simple' case of changing the LCN on each 'channel' to go from 9 to 90 (Metrop) and vice versa or do they have to actually 'move it' within their allocated 'channel'?

I am going to have to watch WIN to see if this is mentioned and 'they' will be participating in the 're-arrangement' on that date or later.

Thanks

I've purchased lots of cheap arse STB's to allow for peeps that have no desire to upgrade their non compliant TV. I was caught out by the number of people that wanted to access the terrestrial racing channel when it started up - I had no idea of the number of people that had part shares in racehorses & wanted to know how their nags were going.

Also, particularly now as ABC have announced their prime channel will revert to HD, although I haven't seen whether it will be MPEG4 or not yet. I have a core group of customers who only watch ABC & SBS, I can see there might be a need for new STBs for this reason alone.
    Never stand under a shadow that's getting bigger

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Antennaman View Post
    I've purchased lots of cheap arse STB's to allow for peeps that have no desire to upgrade their non compliant TV. I was caught out by the number of people that wanted to access the terrestrial racing channel when it started up - I had no idea of the number of people that had part shares in racehorses & wanted to know how their nags were going.

Also, particularly now as ABC have announced their prime channel will revert to HD, although I haven't seen whether it will be MPEG4 or not yet. I have a core group of customers who only watch ABC & SBS, I can see there might be a need for new STBs for this reason alone.
    I had no idea of the number of people that had part shares in racehorses & wanted to know how their nags were going.
    This is what I was talking about re VAST not adding this channel to the mix as people you would never think have a more than just a watch interest in all forms of racing.
    I have a Bro-in-Law who was a Jockey but now is a registered Trainer, 2 of his Sons are riding and the Family as a whole have had Greyhounds and shares in other Horses over the years.
    Personally I am flat out if I get to see the Melbourne Cup each year as Racing doesnt interest me but there are a hell of a lot who do !!!

I have no problem with changing of technology but this is idiotic so soon after the introduction of Digital TV as well as not warning people of the proposal to introduce MPEG4 in the foreseeable future to avoid them buying TV's etc that are not compatible after less than 5 years.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 20-11-15 at 11:43 AM.

Thanks

That's why they had MPEG-4 built into the Freeview compliance from the get-go.

It wasn't government mandate but it was the next best thing to it.

Banned
    Thanks

Yeah and what about all those older non MPEG4 just MPEG2 TV's ...

On my end I'm covered as my TV's are MPEG4 enabled and down south with my good ol analogue TV's (which still are in service and still kick major backside from an audio listening point) have Strong HD MPEG enabled stu' connected ... Sure its downscaled to but at least it's 576p thanks to RGB.

At least Nine are keeping primary Nine as an MPEG2 SD channel for the time being even though they don't have to.

Banned

Thanks

9HD launches 5 AM this Thursday

• The Following User Says Thank You to pheggie For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (25-11-15)

• Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast