Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Next TV - OLED? Bigger in Size?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Default Your Next TV - OLED? Bigger in Size?

Thought i'd make a thread for people considering the purchase of their next TV.

Most of us are happy with what we have now, but temptation is always there.
    Are any members waiting for the new OLED TVs to become sub $2000 mark?
    Or are members now content with 50/55" screens now looking at a 65" or above to replace what they currently use?

I have no urgent need to replace what i have, but lately, i have been finding TV's in the $1200 to $1500 mark an attractive prospect.
    Compared to my 7 or 8 year old Sony Bravia X.
    I must admit, after buying a Samsung 50" for the bedroom a year ago, i wouldn't buy another in a hurry, the sound output is horrible.

Some of the new Screen Technologies and Newer Operating System, and price points, have made some tempting buys recently.
    So, is anyone hanging out for anything in particular?

I also found this site handy for comparisons of modern flatscreen TVs too:
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Look Here ->
    Thanks

my next one will definitely be a 4k
    it seems like OLED will take a very long time to hit the $2000 mark, jbs currently have a LCD 55" 4k TV for under $1500 which is about what I would be happy to pay

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

I was disappointed with the sound of my Samsung compared to my panasonic. The primary reason is that the speakers are on the front on the pana as apposed to the back on the dung hence you need to turn up the volume more to hear it clearly.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    I was disappointed with the sound of my Samsung compared to my panasonic. The primary reason is that the speakers are on the front on the pana as apposed to the back on the dung hence you need to turn up the volume more to hear it clearly.

Leroy
    Exactly, yet i found turning up the Volume, even 4 times normal listening levels, didn't do much to help the matter, it just made it muddier.
    A friends Series 8 55" is exactly the same, very disappointing for a top dollar set.
    (Interestingly, its more noticeable when playing a USB Movie then a normal TV channel)

As suggested above, i'll get a 4K TV, either running Android like the Sonys or Similar.
    Hopefully Kodi will play direct on the TV (although where you hide your IPTV files, i have no idea)
    I just cant make myself buy an LG, even though they seem to rate highly lately.

And if you are going to spend the coin, i can see myself getting a 65" as a daily driver in the lounge next time, but they really do make a statement
    (even though the 47" seemed HUGE when i bought it 8 years ago)
    Still not sure on size, 55" would be fine.... But everytime i walk passed a 65" or 70", i stop and admire the set.

As for OLED, i am going to go have a walk around HN now, i'll see if i can notice the difference.
    Maybe this is what is pushing down the price on LED LCD sets currently?

P.S. I am still happy with my 50" Samsung i bought S'hand off Gumtree last year, at $700 it was half the current retail price and 4 times better than the crap ALDI had to offer for $699, as i also purchased the ALDI product, i had them side by side. ALDI was cheap horrible shit, couldn't play most movie files, picture quality was horrible, had no LAN, sold it in one week.

After the sound issue with Samsung, i have very strongly been looking at other brands, like Sony.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 06-11-15 at 11:42 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Firstly, I wont go above the 50 inch Aldi I have now simply because the room is too small and I totally dislike sitting with my nose pressed onto the screen nor do I enjoy doing the 'Tennis Nod' trying to see both end of the screen.
    Another reason is that what is today's 'Latest, Greatest Technological Marvel' seems to be superseded before I need to wipe the first fly shit off the screen.
    My wish is to one day have the whole wall as a TV that doubles as windows (to see through, not compute) and the image be holographic removing the need for 3D glasses etc.

I see many illustrations of so called TV rooms with a massive screen of 50 plus inches in a room barely 10 foot (3 Metres) wide with doors on each end meaning people are walking between you and the screen which for me 'Aint on, Baby!'.

I suppose growing up during the era when Film was king and mostly 35 mm Black and White plus living in a Deep Fringe TV reception area has made me less critical of the quality of the screen but that doesnt mean I dont want the best I can get but I am not prepared to go Ga-Ga over every new feature introduced.
    Finally of course is no matter how good a screen you have, even the best wont make a crappy (content) low quality program look any better.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

gulliver (06-11-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Finally of course is no matter how good a screen you have, even the best wont make a crappy (content) low quality program look any better.
    I think that is point these days gordon, there is just so much good HD content getting around
    (our AU Terrestrial broadcast can be excluded from that argument, as its crap, geez, the hotel room i had in third world Vietnam had 110 HD channels)

But in other areas, Streaming, etc, you can generally find your chosen show or sport in 1080i or 720p with a good frame rate.
    But your point is a fair one, most of our general viewing content is wasted on 4K sets, even with good upscaling chipsets. But the better screen should help.
    Still, its nice to treat ourselves, as its a product that gets used everyday for most people.
    So if you divide the number of hours spent watching your set, price becomes some what irrelevant once under $2000, even more so under $1500
    Last edited by ol' boy; 06-11-15 at 12:04 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

gulliver (06-11-15)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,079 Times in 6,766 Posts

Not so keen on 4K at this time.

Probably a larger OLED when pricing becomes more favourable.

Whilst UHD source material looks great on a UHD screen, SD FTA TV looks awful on big screens.

For now, I'm happy with my 50" Pana plasma... still has one of the best PQ overall IMHO.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (06-11-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post

For now, I'm happy with my 50" Pana plasma... still has one of the best PQ overall IMHO.
    Yes, it was a flagship set.
    And sometimes, buying a newer set, can be a step backwards in quality.
    Hard to know these days, just too many coming and going too fast (as gordon says)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

As cheap as they are I really can't afford to keep updating every few years just to keep up with technology especially when the old ones are doing fine.
    Also what do you do with the old set? They're worth nothing second hand.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

tristen (06-11-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Totally agree. Hopefully it will stay clear of problems for a few years yet.

Probably won't go much bigger unless I change houses to a bigger lounge room.

All sound goes through my surround sound Yamaha amp with old style big front speakers so I don't even need a sub woofer.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    As cheap as they are I really can't afford to keep updating every few years just to keep up with technology especially when the old ones are doing fine.
    Also what do you do with the old set? They're worth nothing second hand.

Leroy
    Same... my old Sony Bravia X is running fine, but i have noticed its a bit dimmer on start up these days, so it is showing its age.
    And you are spot on, what do you the old one, when you replace it?
    Garage?
    They are too big for Bedrooms generally.

I still laugh at few clients i have, that paid $14,000 for a Hitachi or Pioneer and just cant seem to part with what cost them so much!
    They weigh a tonne! Have a crap picture, have limited inputs (No HDMI).
    I tell them to throw them away, todays $700 set will eat it.

So i guess thats the point of this thread...
    Whats going to tip you into buying a new set?

Wait until your current one dies?
    Make a change up in size (65", 70")?
    OLED or 4K?

It seems this is the game the industry is playing to create turnover, to entice the hard earned to leave our wallets.
    And i am sure they want to do this, before our current set fails.

So... even if you don't NEED a new set, if all the specs you want (4K, OLED, 60", Brand Name) was advertised for $1100, would you buy one, just out of it being good value in your eyes?

Everyone has a price
    Everyone loves a bargin even more, at some point on the Specs vs Price scale, you'll bite.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 06-11-15 at 02:16 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I have a couple of issues with my 60' LG Plasma , but a mate also has one with a fault that he doesnt plan on getting fixed so I might cut a deal to get that and make one perfectly running unit. I like the picture quality and fast refresh rate.

My wife usually watched 58' Panasonic Plasma, which in my opinion is pretty crap compared to the LG.

I still have 2 Aldi bought Tevion 42 ? inch LCD's here as well, one in bedroom , one in rumpus room. They havent missed a beat and from memory I bought them in 2007.

As Oceanboy mentioned, there is always temptation to upgrade But I dont have the money too these days and as long as I can fix the LG 60 inch Plasma, I will be right for a while. (though an Android TV really does appeal.......)

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (06-11-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I guess we think it hard times, with so much choice and updated sets.

Can you imagine the screen manufacturers, and the pressure to produce the new format (4K) screens, or OLED screens, it would almost be an overnight death if a manufacturer didn't keep up to date with the latest technologies available and expected.
    He would have to take 2nd and 3rd tier prices for his product, until there were no longer any takers.
    Or start selling to no name brand TV manufacturers, where they would be sold as cheap sets 3rd world countries.

Must be as cut throat and as the retail pricing is, everyone is trying to get you in, somehow.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

Unless you have the tv in a bright area, probably not worth going to oled.

yes, they consume less power....

better off going uhd smart tv....

i have a lg 65" uhd 3d smart tv, pretty happy with it. does netflix/hbbtv, dlna etc. natively, no amazon prime in au though.....

not perfect, but pretty good.

• The Following User Says Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (06-11-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks

IJust finished a walk around HN and The Good Guys.
    The 55" sets all look like what I already own.
    Can't see the point.
    The 65" sets looked you are actually getting something for your money.
    Although will be too large for a lot of people.

As mtv said, SD looks horrible on all of them.
    The LG sets actually looked really good ... Probably the best.
    With Samsung almost the same.

Sony didn't blow me away...
    And to no surprise, The Good Guys didn't have the Sony model I was after... but they had every other one.
    Amazing when a 120% price match is currently on against JB HiFi... how The Good Guys stock disappears off the shelf, as if by magic.

Still so much trailing effect from horizontal movement on most sets.
    (Ie: Camera panning on HD Cricket)
    4K Sample Loops look amazing, but we all know why... no real panning speed, clip made for purpose, colours over the top, no test of refresh rate.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 06-11-15 at 03:23 PM.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

To be honest I don't have the urge to change anything.
    In the last 5 years no REALLY exciting things have happened with TVs, Computers, Operating systems, Smartphones, etc. Sometimes I see backwards steps. Some computers sold today are often slower than they were 3-5 years ago. It all about being tiny and thin or something.

As for TVs no real content available for 4K as I see it, unless you do 4K home videos, so why buy one?
    Not a fan of those lolly colours they display in the low speed demos either.
    I have been using mostly video projectors for over a decade. Not much happening there either.
    I thought you could roll up the OLED screen, pull it up from your desk, carry it in a tube with you, stick it on a window like foil, wear it, LOL.
    That was the talk 10 years ago when they were first discussed.

Consumer tech has become boring, with stores like JB-Hifi. An insult even that they call it like that. IMO there is not one speaker in that store that would qualify as HiFi.
    Those poor subwoofers that pump themselves to death on a very narrow low frequency range give me a headache.
    Bose started that crap
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

gulliver (06-11-15),mtv (06-11-15),tristen (07-11-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I'm happy with the 55" 3D Tv I bought from Kogan 4 Years ago,Works perfect,so I'm not changing for a while.I noticed there are not many 3D Tv's advertised anymore.Why?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    I also found this site handy for comparisons of modern flatscreen TVs too:
    that site seems to heavily favour Samsung in just about all categories yet no mention of any Panasonics
    Still happy with the 55" Panasonic plasma in the lounge
    and even the 42" Sanyo (10 year old BigW special) in the bedroom
    like others mentioned, no need to upgrade if there are no broadcasts for it
    4K? long way of, especialy here in oz
    heck, we are only just getting HD now lol
    tried one of those Aldi specials a few months ago because it was so cheap
    once hooked up at home, I could see why it was so cheap
    the menu was slow clunky and just plain horrible so straight back in the box it went and back for a refund
    I'd rather pay double and have something I'm happy with
    as for sound quality, I never rely on the tv's inbuilt speakers
    always hook up to an amp with speakers and sub

Premium Member
    Thanks

Yep, i think you are correct weirdo.

Nothing impressed me in the shops, that i'd want to buy.
    The bigger sets did look nice however.

Can i ask anyone here, whom has a 65" and above, does 1080i TV or 1080p Movies look just as detailed on the bigger screens?
    I cant complain on my 47", just wondered if it starts to lose that fine detail on the bigger screens?
    hoe, you seem happy with the 65" LG UHD screen.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 07-11-15 at 10:14 AM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

I just noticed the Mrs has a Pioneer PDP-507XDA in the lounge, i didn't even realise it was a Plasma.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast