Thread: Garmin Lifetime Maps

Banned
    Thanks

Default Garmin Lifetime Maps

A couple of years back I purchased a Garmin Nuvi 2460 that came with Lifetime Maps as present.

When I got the GPS home I went onto the Garmin website and activated the maps and registered the product. It was then wrapped up and given as the present.

A couple of months back the new owner said they were unable to do map updates - in fact it was the first time they had tried to do updates in all of their time of ownership. I immediately assumed that the issue was that the activation process etc was done via my login etc so I went an but the maps would not update but they were happy to sell me updates for about $95.

I contacted Garmin with and they advised that the activation process I went through only activated the maps already in the GPS and not the lifetime maps which was a separate process which we were not aware off - apparently the lifetime maps have to be activated within a set period after the internal maps are activated and then maps must be updated once per year or the Lifetime Maps lapse even though they have been paid for. This requirement was not explained on not covered in the instructions relevant to the GPS but in a supplement document that was missed. Garmin basically said not their problem.

Now while Garmin might say we did not follow their instructions (which we were not made aware of) the Consumer Law may view things differently as in if you pay for a product you should receive it, irrespective of what the makers has determined.

I reported the matter to the ACCC but they have advised that they have not direct powers to enforce consumer law (they have to take an offender to court) so are unable to adjudicate. They suggested I lodge a complaint with my local consumer affairs office. I could do so but really the effort and stress in this case is really not worth it.

So - other than paying Garmin their $95 at least once or twice a year for their map updates, which we are not going to do are there any other options to get the maps updated. I am assuming there are no other options but I thought I would ask here first.

My own Garmin is getting on and I have issue updating the maps on it (the map/lifetime map activation was all one process for this Garmin) but it does need replacing soon - due to my current unpleasant experience the new purchase will not be a Garmin.

Thanks

Garry

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I have the very same model gps as you and for about the same length of time. To qualify for the lifetime map option I had to supply a copy of the receipt, a photo of the barcode on the gps & box to a special email address supplied on the paperwork that came with the unit. My brother scanned the invoice into a PDF file and I cut the barcode out of the box and sat on the back of the gps and photographed it and the unit barcode as one photo and sent all to the supplied email address. If I remember correctly the supplied paperwork stated to allow 60 days for the process to be completed and a notification to be sent back saying if you had qualified. From memory I had my confirmation back in about 3 weeks. Telling you all this I know is now no help to you now but that was the process.
    Last edited by Ralfo; 15-11-15 at 01:52 AM.
    ..........Austech Member since 2002
    If ALL else fails read the bl**dy instructions.
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/5203214335.png

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,649 Posts

I never went thru any of that rigmarole, seems weird to me.

When I purchased my Nuvi 2597lmt, all I did was go to the Garmin website & registered the device.

Since then all maps have been free no problems, the Garmin map software scans the device & locates the lifetime map authentication file, then downloads & installs the map. I can do it on any of my 3 computers.

Now there are 2 different Automatic Map Installing programs,1 is Garmin Express; which does Firmware & LM Maps at same time, (this program is buggy & can brick your unit) see my thread.

2nd is Garmin Map Updater, this only does Lifetime Maps.
    So for Firmware Updates you need Garmin Web Updater as well.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Banned
    Thanks

Ralfo - exactly but we were not aware of that at the time. We just "assumed" that registering the product and activating the maps was the process and at no stage did we appreciate there was a different additional process.

Tiny the process you describe is what I did for my own personal GPS (not the present) and is the process now but was different back then.

Australian Consumer Law would say that it is not appropriate that if you buy lifetime maps that you then only have a short period to activate, you should be able to activate them when you choose. However like many things related to the Consumer Law enforcing your rights normally means an individual taking court action and it is just not worth the grief and hassle for something like this.

Garmin will just miss out on future sales from my household.

Thanks for the comments

Garry

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Are you sure you bought the Lifetime maps version or the New Map Guarantee version?
    The later only gives you a new map within 30 days of registration; then zero.
    The former will have LM in the model code, like mine is a 2597lmt, lmt stands for lifetime maps & traffic.

Now to help you out, if you have another Garmin that has lifetime maps; you can copy them off that device & unlock them using third party unlocking software & then use the map on your other Nuvi's.
    If not unlocked maps are available at many locations, like & .

You can use my tutorial to work out how to use them.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Banned
    Thanks

Thanks for that information I will follow up your suggestions and links.

When I bought the GPS and registered the product and maps this information popped up on my Garmin website (under my login) - this is not the Garmin Express site. (may need to click and zoom in to read)

I then received this from Garmin which indicated to me that I was registered for Lifetime Maps

Garmin claim the second doc only refers to activating the inbuild maps rather than activating Lifetime Maps even the document does indicate entry details to Lifetime Maps - anyway

I am a person that does not like bypassing the system but when companies blatantly rip you off well - all bets are off.

Thanks

Garry

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by garrycol View Post
    Garmin claim the second doc only refers to activating the inbuild maps rather than activating Lifetime Maps even the document does indicate entry details to Lifetime Maps - anyway

I am a person that does not like bypassing the system but when companies blatantly rip you off well - all bets are off.

Thanks

Garry
    Well mate, at first I thought as per the Model number 2460LT that means lifetime traffic not maps, however after viewing that second document, I feel that you were definitely lead to believe that you were given a Bonus Lifetime map update certificate & I don't see any eligibility criteria on that certificate that would make it null.
    You have been mislead/ripped off.
    EDIT: unless it was a competition/lottery draw for the Bonus as it says Entry Details? Hmm.

Anyway if you need help with acquiring or installing maps, just ask.
    Last edited by Tiny; 17-11-15 at 07:01 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny

Banned
    Thanks

Yes - it was before the days when Lifetime maps were part of the LM package. The unit supposedly did come with Lifetime Traffic (has never been updated) but at the time you could buy LM but for an additional $189 but Garmin were offering them as a promotion for free (but the price was a little higher than normal). As you can see I did get the LM package.

I sure I would get a positive outcome through the consumer affair organizations but my costs would be higher the the cost of the maps.

My computer has just crashed and am typing this on old spare - when it is back up I might take you offer and discuss further.

Thanks

garry

Thanks

That's an unpleasant experience, but Garmin really does have themselves covered legally if not morally. This is the source of the problem:
    A couple of months back the new owner said they were unable to do map updates - in fact it was the first time they had tried to do updates in all of their time of ownership.
    By your pic's the LM gift subscription was correctly activated ~4 years back, but that's only part of the requirement as you've already been told correctly by Garmin: It must be then USED, and subsequently used reasonably frequently and also [technically] you're not supposed to transfer ownership of the subscription. Have a look at the 'get-out-off-jail-free-cards' attached to Garmin's Lifetime Maps:
    Code:
    http://www.garmin.com/us/maps/us/numaps_lifetime

So, you're boned And legally boned. Your only chance is to ask for it to be re-instated but if you've already tried to hit them with the big 'i know my consumer rights' stick by mentioning ACCC or your intention of complaining to your State Consumer Affairs Office you may as well give up right now i feel.

In my experience, Garmin AU has been pretty liberal in the past about LM subs for both devices with it as OEM and subsequently purchased LM subs for the factory-loaded mapping data and they have allowed transfer of the sub provided the first owner unregisters the device on their site. They may not be so forgiving when (i) You got it for nothing as a bonus 'gift' (ii) you transferred ownership of the device; and (iii) especially if you've bashed 'em up a bit. Try saying 'sorry' a lot and throw yourself on their mercy 'cos that sub can be re-instated with a few keystrokes from the right person.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Surething For This Useful Post:

Tiny (25-11-15)

Banned
    Thanks

I don't disagree with what you say as far as Garmin's requirements are stated - noting this was never brought to my attention. However there is nothing in manufacturers documentation that takes away your rights under the Consumer Law - basically if you paid for something you are entitled no matter what the manufacturer says - even manufacturers warranty is meaningless if an item fails and if consumer law says it should still work.

The issue is enforcing your Consumer Law rights - not really possible for low cost items as it is not cost effective.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 570 Posts

I don't disagree with what you say as far as Garmin's requirements are stated - noting this was never brought to my attention. However there is nothing in manufacturers documentation that takes away your rights under the Consumer Law - basically if you paid for something you are entitled no matter what the manufacturer says - even manufacturers warranty is meaningless if an item fails and if consumer law says it should still work.
    I would agree in principle, however a 'reasonable consumer test' applies to Australian Consumer Law.

Expecting a software licence, that has been passed to another owner, that the new owner hasn't used in 4 years, to still be available for use - despite reasonable conditions provided by the manufacturer giving you 2 years to use the licence and preventing the transfer of that licence to another - wouldn't pass that 'reasonable consumer test'.

The issue is enforcing your Consumer Law rights - not really possible for low cost items as it is not cost effective.
    As a side note, I have had plenty of success in making reasonable complaints to Fair Trading in NSW under ACL via their website when retailers won't replace/refund items that fail. Had everything from $6000 TV's down to $99 desktop printers replaced, some well outside their manufacturers warranty period (ie the TV was just on 5 years old - replaced for free with a new model). I have found, in general, if a retailer or manufacturer are willing to provide an 'extended warranty' at an additional cost for an item, then the time covered by that extended warranty is taken to be the expected life of the item and Fair Trading NSW will make submissions for the item be repaired/replaced - even if you never purchased that extended warranty.

It costs nothing apart from a bit of your time to send some emails to the retailers then Fair Trading (or whoever does the same if you are not in NSW). If it is reasonable they will come to the party.

• The Following User Says Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

Surething (05-12-15)

Thanks

I'm sorry but I don't agree with that. By Garmin providing a prominent link it is deemed brought to your attention. You have an obligation to click on the link.

As well as manufacturer's sales conditions required to be accessible, as brief as possible but still clear enough for a layman to understand, there is a reciprocal obligation which assumes that the consumer has actually read the conditions. If you really believe that you have a winnable case despite transferring to another person and the service not being used within the 2 years as Peter rightly points out, then go for it take out a civil suit and claim for your costs as well as for specific performance of the contract - because it's a legal contract with all the requirements of that satisfied. Garmin offered you LM maps on certain conditions, you accepted their offer [offer and acceptance is the very essence of any contract]. If you entered that contract either [1] justifiably mistaken as to it's conditions content, or [2] were intentionally mislead, then for sure you'll win. But it seems to me the reason you were mistaken is because you either didn't read or didn't understand the conditions even though imo they're clearly stated without legalese mumbo-jumbo.

So it is of no consequent what your costs may be if you're sure you're right, you can be compensated for your reasonable costs - but only if you win. Good luck.

Banned
    Thanks

Just an update on this.

Today I bought a Garmin Nuvi 65LMT to fit in the dash cubby of my car. I registered etc through Garmin and didn't have any issues. In view I of my experiences outlined above I rang the Garmin help desk to confirm that with this new model there was only one registration process and that lifetime updates would apply - again all good and no issues.

As part of the process I indicated that I was ringing because of my previous experience - the consultant asked if I minded him having a look at their records on the subject. Of course I didn't and he clearly had everything there including an activation code and he indicated that the old GPS only needed to have the Life Time updates activated. I explained I had already been through the process with a code I was given at the time - he indicated he was not sure what had happened but the code was on his system waiting to be used.

He explained the process and sent me an email confirming everything - the code he sent me was a Gift Code and just so happened to be the one I was sent years ago and was told by the consultant I spoke to last year that was just to activate the GPS not lifetime maps.

So I followed the instructions and now the old GPS has current maps and Lifetime Map updates activated.

It just goes to show what can happen when you get some customer focussed consultant who takes the time to properly look at issues. I didn't ring them to fix this and didn't ask the consultant to fix it - he took it on his own bat to do it and I am thankful for that.

Thanks for all the input on this forum as well.

Cheers

Garry

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to garrycol For This Useful Post:

enf (29-07-16),mtv (23-01-16),Tiny (23-01-16)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,043 Times in 6,759 Posts

These stories annoy me.

Not the stories themselves, but how simple the fix is if customer support staff would just do their job.

Clearly in your case you were entitled to lifetime maps and yet only one staff member could see that.

Pleased to hear you finally received the assistance you should have received on your first call.

Banned
    Thanks

I agree - and looking at it a little more, the whole issue might have been sort of been my actual fault. On the Garmin activation page there are two menu items - one to activate maps and one to use the gift code. Not understanding it was a Gift Code (afterall I was just activating maps) but I bet I went into the activate maps section (as you would) using the code I had and so it bounced. At no stage until yesterday did I understand the code I was given was a gift code.

I have been in contact with Garmin three times over the years on this issue and it was only the last guy (Ilce Nikolovski) at Garmin who took the time to look at it and he was not even asked too.

Cheers

Garry

• The Following User Says Thank You to garrycol For This Useful Post:

Tiny (23-01-16)

Thanks

I guess you should have followed this advice earlier then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Surething View Post
    In my experience, Garmin AU has been pretty liberal in the past about LM subs for both devices with it as OEM and subsequently purchased LM subs for the factory-loaded mapping data and they have allowed transfer of the sub provided the first owner unregisters the device on their site. They may not be so forgiving when (i) You got it for nothing as a bonus 'gift' (ii) you transferred ownership of the device; and (iii) especially if you've bashed 'em up a bit. Try saying 'sorry' a lot and throw yourself on their mercy 'cos that sub can be re-instated with a few keystrokes from the right person.
    Emphasis added. I'm very pleased you've sorted it out finally. Garmin support worldwide cops a lot of criticism but for different reasons, e.g. US are arrogant 'rule-sticklers' and generally unhelpful with the kind of problem you've had; UK don't answer emails at all but are brilliant with phone support; AU seem consistently quite good with email support but rarely attend to phone calls quickly but i've always found them to be consistently helpful and sympathetic with re-instating and transferring Lifetime Maps as i said. Glad you got the right person even if it was by almost by accident and it's good of you to take the time to report your reversal of experience with them.

Thanks

You’re not alone there. I bought a Nuvi of some sort, and one for my Brother in Law at the same time.
    They both had “Lifetime Map Updates” or some such thing in bold star across the front of the box,
    but if you just start using them and forget about any fine print, there’s no updates at all.

Neither of us bothered to sort it out legitimately.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    You’re not alone there. I bought a Nuvi of some sort, and one for my Brother in Law at the same time.
    They both had “Lifetime Map Updates” or some such thing in bold star across the front of the box,
    but if you just start using them and forget about any fine print, there’s no updates at all.

Neither of us bothered to sort it out legitimately.
    Well really, that's like not registering for a warranty, sure why should you have to, but that's how it was back then.

I have 2 Nuvis of the era of “Lifetime Map Updates”, one has LTM & one doesn't, but both remind me if a map is older than 1 year, which = 2 years as they date their updates ~1 year ahead.

At least if correctly done the updates are still accessible, I read on the TomTom forum that lifetime map updates expire after a certain amount of years, cause the unit is out of date, therefor out of it's lifetime & not supported.
    Last edited by Tiny; 06-09-18 at 08:29 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

Hi, Yeah I’ve had that one just this week. The words were more like “due to the age of the device”. lol, but fair enough, that was about a StreetPilot III.
    Getting it going again is partially for my own amusement, but it might not be, and at least I was serious about buying maps in whatever format.
    Now that i pay for that kind of thing, I’ll have to buy an SD card that won’t work with it, and use two hack programs to get a current Garmin map on it.