Thread: Backup Help Needed.

Banned
    Thanks

Default Backup Help Needed.

My laptop is a HP pavilion I5 64bit with Win 7 Home Premium - it has been having some issues for a while such as video driver hickups (driver up to date) and bluetooth is not working. Other little various clitches but it is still running.

Time to to clean install using the HP system that includes the OS. First process was to do a backup - i use the standard WIN backup program - wouldn't work error 0x8007002 or 0x81000037. Looked these up on the Win Website and initiated the recommended repair - either did not work or instructions are nonsense and cannot be followed.

Booted from the Rescue Disk but no difference. I sometimes use Karens replicator so tried that a full disk copy but that did not work - then tried the HP info but that is not working. I have done a full scan full for viruses etc with avg - nothing.

So I am loss how to create a backup?

I have copied my pics, music and other docs to another file so they are safe but I am not sure about my emails (windows live mail) and bookmarks and other information which will be lost if I just wipe the drive. Also if I do not use the HP system to clear th drive I will loose my Win 7 operating system and office so will have to get new licences.

So any ideas on how to clone the hardrive or do a full backup?

thanks

Garry

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

, (my favourite), .

Or take the free Win10 upgrade & all will be migrated to the new OS.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

pics
    docs
    in email, export the account, contacts as cvs
    export emails or backup whole live folder
    firefox bookmarks & ie favs
    format the fuker
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I've had to backup and restore many machines for different people. My only sure way is to copy the data from known storage areas to external media. eg. My Documents et.al. if you are using an email client like Outlook, you will need to find the data files (usually in a hidden folder in your profile) and there are lots of little utilities to extract activation codes from Windoze and Orifice and the like. (I generally use for that.) Don't forget to backup all username/password combos that you use. Not to mention, your bookmarks and other useful tid bits.

What is a good idea, if you have the space, as has been mentioned above, clone the entire drive elsewhere, that way, if you forget something, you can recover it. (You needn't do a byte by byte clone, just copy everything (including hidden files and folders) using m$ file manager.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Banned
    Thanks

Thanks for all the information - non of the backup programs would work so there is something in the system stopping it. I logged in an administrator and was able to copy my entire C drive (folder by folder) to another drive so at least I will have in effect a cloned drive to get a lot of the non "my documents" stuff back when i do the fresh install which I will try tomorrow.

Cheers

Garry

Banned
    Thanks

Computer all up and running now - file transfer systems only half worked but I was able to cut and past from the cloned drive I created.

Banned
    Thanks

Ok some issues have come to light - Win Live Mail is a pain but I think I have got it sorted by reinstalling.

Bluetooth issue has come back.

Previously I had a Bluetooth issue with my HP DV6-6023 laptop - the problem was starting the stack service. Drivers were all up to date but I could never get it to work - even usb bluetooth devices would not work. Couldn't resolve the issue.

After I did the clean install with the HP stuff and Win 7 service pack 1 etc was reloaded. Bluetooth now worked fine both sending and receiving.

Of course Win wants to update from SP 1 and today after 200 updates and 6 hours of updates WIN 7 is now up to date.

The problem is now Bluetooth no longer works with the same issue I had before - issue starting the stack service. Bluetooth worked with Win 7 Service Pack 1 installed but doesnt with the full Win 7 installed so logically there is some sort of conflict with later updates of Win7.

Any ideas before I go back to the Service Pack 1 restore point and then switch off auto updates and review each update as they are offered. I use bluetooth to transfer pics from my phone to computer - says plugging in.

Thanks

Banned
    Thanks

Tried a few different things but nothing worked using Windows Drivers or HP drivers so went to the hardware maker (Broadcom Bluetooth) and downloaded a "package" and Bluetooth Stack Switcher ans this seems to have done the trick - seems to be all OK - yet installed software was not combatible.

It would seem that when Windows searches for latest drivers it only looks in its own database - not the hardware maker.

Garry
    Last edited by garrycol; 24-11-15 at 02:18 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to garrycol For This Useful Post:

Tiny (24-11-15)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

yes Windows quite often has a different idea of the latest, most appropriate, device driver than the Hardware manufacturer.

W10 is the same.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

ill be usefull for a change
    i use this
    its great & free, backup the drivers, put program back on, no exe so even joey would like it
    then theres totally free, great for scheduled backups
    but i normally just go to c\ users, grab docs,pic,music, downloads, favs, & email folder
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68