Thread: Black/Grey water 'Pump Up' systems.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Black/Grey water 'Pump Up' systems.

On TV I have seen an advert for a unit to be installed at the back of the Toilet Pan allowing the Pan to be installed lower than say a Septic Tank.(I see no reason why this wouldnt work on Town Sewer systems)
    This was a problem I had when the Council required Septic's to be installed as the house is on the lower end of the block.
    A 'Pump Out' system using 2 tanks was proposed but even then, I had limited space to allow the Tanks between the House and Boundary of the property so I ended up with a Toilet some 10 metres away outside on the 'High Side'.

This week I received a catalogue from a local pumping business and they advertise a 'Grundfos' Sololift WC3 for this purpose.
    The TV ad showed this and a Hand Basin in use but this catalogue mentions connecting a Shower into it and that has me curious how would you connect a shower as water dont run up hill usually.

Some years ago a Friend lived in a house with some sort of sewer pump and he claimed it was forever bolcking up which turned me off ever considering it until recently.
    Anyone using a system like this and are they happy with it, any thing to be aware of getting one installed?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->

Thanks

I remember seeing something like this about 10 years ago in a B&B in England. A tiny ensuite had been crammed in to a bedroom and evidently the solution to getting the waste out was to use some sort of pump behind the toilet pan. The pipe leading out was tiny - I'd guess 40mm? It's a bit weird to flush the toilet and then hear a tinny little pump start whirring away. The system looked like it had been in place for some years though and I'd guess a toilet in a B&B would cop a fair bit of abuse from people flushing inappropriate items down and so on. I'd guess there would be some abuse of a different kind from eating dodgy curries and the like as well!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

We had our kitchen sink, bathroom Hand Basin, Bath, Shower & laundry washing machine & wash tub water all ruining into a small underground tank (a concrete road water pipe about 2 feet diameter & about 4 feet long installed vertical under ground & a concrete bottom & a concrete removable lid)

a "Grundfos sump pump with a float switch" would sit in the bottom of the tank & then pump this water onto our lawn ..... & in times of drought water the grass & keep it green

It was inspected by council about 5 years ago & the "guy" wanted the Kitchen sink water run into the septic tank lines ..... that was the only change he wanted made ....

We left the septic tank water untouched ..... after it left the septic tank it went into a "gravel trench " to be dissipated into the ground

However not having all the waste water running though the septic tank means less water running though the septic tank now ....

I don't think this is exactly the same set up that you are talking about above ...... I just wanted to tell you the way ours is set up ..... we have had ours setup for over 20 years now .....
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    I remember seeing something like this about 10 years ago in a B&B in England. A tiny ensuite had been crammed in to a bedroom and evidently the solution to getting the waste out was to use some sort of pump behind the toilet pan. The pipe leading out was tiny - I'd guess 40mm? It's a bit weird to flush the toilet and then hear a tinny little pump start whirring away. The system looked like it had been in place for some years though and I'd guess a toilet in a B&B would cop a fair bit of abuse from people flushing inappropriate items down and so on. I'd guess there would be some abuse of a different kind from eating dodgy curries and the like as well!
    Sounds like a macerata pump, which chops up the shit so it can be moved easily through small pipes. They are used on MH, marine and installations that are below the sewer/septic system. I have them on my boat and MH, never get any blockages.

Premium Member

Thanks

Spook, thats what its described as in all the advertising.
    My only concern is if the pipe is 'exposed' to the elements during winter of the contents maybe freezing up or just not flowing.
    If I could put it where I want to, it would need a head of 3 metres and a run of between 15 and 20 metres.
    Thanks for the replies everybody.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Some time back I was contemplating using a macerator pump for a toilet under my house.

One brand that I investigated was Saniflo. Brochures and the range can be found at

I have no experience with them, but certainly an interesting product.

Cheers,
    Mal

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

Macerators are used quite often overseas. Especially retrofitting Older buildings that may be heritage listed.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member

Thanks

The Grundfos Sololift has been around for years. Good solid product most suitable for small lifts through
    small diameter pipes. The pump is a macerator grinder type that conditions soft solids (yeah you know
    what that is) into a material that can be easily pumped away. I have supplied these on numerous occasions
    over the years and don't recall many problems with the units.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gamve For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (21-11-15)

Premium Member

Thanks

gamve, I know I am taking a risk of raising the Ire of all good Tasmanian's by saying this but meant in the 'Nicest Possible Way (a' la Dick Emory) if it will work there (Tasmania) it will work anywhere..............

FMI, does the 'Soil stack' have to be a particular type of pipe, ie Pressure resistive or can any grade of pipe used for it?

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    gamve, I know I am taking a risk of raising the Ire of all good Tasmanian's by saying this but meant in the 'Nicest Possible Way (a' la Dick Emory) if it will work there (Tasmania) it will work anywhere..............

FMI, does the 'Soil stack' have to be a particular type of pipe, ie Pressure resistive or can any grade of pipe used for it?
    Usually 40NB to 50NB polyethylene or PVC is suitable. No need for high pressure rating as the pump is only capable of reasonably low pressure at any rate.
    Keep an eye on the length of the pipe run, as dynamic friction can eat up the lift capability pretty quickly.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gamve For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (22-11-15),Tiny (22-11-15),VroomVroom (22-11-15)

Premium Member

Thanks

2 major 'killers' to any pump is 'Head' and friction as we tend to forget liquids do have friction or tension and as I was amazed to read from a WW2 Army instructional book how weird fluids react to that as well as to both Hot and Cold situations.