Thread: Dead LNB

Thanks

Default Dead LNB

Still new to the forum. I need to replace my old, dead LNB. How much is involve in replacing it, do I need to make some sort of adjustments when I install the new one?
    new LNB is Zinwell ZCF-D21B
    1.8 m mesh disk.
    Everything was working Ok till yesterday, now the box (Powers HD900s)display shows L620 and freezes when I connect the cable from the dish.
    I would appreciate any help, local sat installer charges $180 for labour.
    Thanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to krong For This Useful Post:

irritant (02-12-15)

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by krong View Post
    Still new to the forum. I need to replace my old, dead LNB. How much is involve in replacing it, do I need to make some sort of adjustments when I install the new one?
    new LNB is Zinwell ZCF-D21B
    1.8 m mesh disk.
    Everything was working Ok till yesterday, now the box (Powers HD900s)display shows L620 and freezes when I connect the cable from the dish.
    I would appreciate any help, local sat installer charges $180 for labour.
    Thanks
    Are you sure the LNB is dead? Unless the box is indicating it has lost the signal or LNB shorting/overloading, it could mean something else. And, are you connecting the cable while the box is on? That can damage the box or the LNB, the cable carries a voltage from the box (when it's on) to the LNB to operate it's polarity. It'd be best to first connect the cable, then power on the box, for safe measure.

It looks like a cicular-polarised LNB (R and L), so as far as I know you won't have to set any skew angle.

Just a note, boxes can freeze for many reasons, what does it say when it says L620? (Sorry, I don't know the box.)

• The Following User Says Thank You to irritant For This Useful Post:

krong (02-12-15)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

IF you are receiving a circular-polarised signal, then you use the dielectric plate.

If the signals are either horizontal or vertical polarisation, then you need to align the LNBF SKEW.

To do this, you need to be able to see a signal quality scale from either a sat meter with that function, or from the signal quality screen from your decoder.

If the output connector is in the same position on the new LNBF as the old one, that's a good starting point for SKEW setting.

You may also need to adjust the focal length (distance of the LNBF from the dish surface).

As above, it would be a good idea to check cabling, connections and voltage output from the decoder to ensure the fault is actually the LNBF itself first.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

irritant (02-12-15),krong (02-12-15)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

An unusal event that could cause the LNB to fail, although usually not without warning or that fast is HEAT and Sydney has just had a couple of Scorchers last week.
    I know Ku LNB's have failed when the Sun is directly behind the LNB when that happens twice a year because they are fixed in place but I dont know if a C Band LNB can suffer from heat or not.

Another thing is to check the inside of the LNB if you havent already done so to ensure you have no unathorised 'squatters' setting up house there.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 02-12-15 at 11:12 AM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    IF you are receiving a circular-polarised signal, then you use the dielectric plate.

If the signals are either horizontal or vertical polarisation, then you need to align the LNBF SKEW.

To do this, you need to be able to see a signal quality scale from either a sat meter with that function, or from the signal quality screen from your decoder.

If the output connector is in the same position on the new LNBF as the old one, that's a good starting point for SKEW setting.

You may also need to adjust the focal length (distance of the LNBF from the dish surface).

As above, it would be a good idea to check cabling, connections and voltage output from the decoder to ensure the fault is actually the LNBF itself first.
    Update of what I have done, tested voltage out of the box, no load, reads 22v
    Took box to local Sat shop, when connecting their cable, box works ok, could change channels. also it shows on monitor names of channels. We didn't get picture of satellite as I was told they needed the remote to do it. I guess their dish was pointing to different satellite and not Asia sat as it was in the box.
    Their opinion was faulty receiver, no enough power to the LMB, either mother board or power supply faulty, offered new receiver.
    As still I have the new LNB in the box, turned off receiver and connected a cable to it, Receiver on, displays names of channels on monitor then it tells me no signal.
    Using my dish the receiver displays: Loading, Run (I can see made in Korea in the monitor) one second of picture of channel then receiver shows L620 and nothing else works.
    Not receiving a circular-polarised signal only V and H
    Last edited by krong; 02-12-15 at 12:34 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to krong For This Useful Post:

irritant (02-12-15)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Even if you didnt have the decoder connected to an LNB, the channel memory will still display what ever has been saved to it and after a moment or two, it will say NO SIGNAL.
    Depending on how friendly your Sat Shop is, I woud take the Decoder and the remote back to them and they should be able to enter into your decoder, whatever settings they have on their satellite to see if it is indeed working satisfactorily.
    If they do that, what ever you have currently set wont be affected by entering more and you could always delete them after.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I will try them again tomorrow, this time with the remote.
    Still the question remains, why do I get L620 and freezes once I connect the cable to the dish?

• The Following User Says Thank You to krong For This Useful Post:

irritant (02-12-15)

Administrator
    Thanks

Perhaps it's not an LNB issue.

This thread may be of interest.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianR View Post
    ...It looks like a cicular-polarised LNB (R and L), s)o as far as I know you won't have to set any skew angle...
    No!! The Zinwell ZCF-D21B is a linear polarised LNB(F), therefore the LNB must be installed with the correct skew for the satellite and installation location involved.

Quote Originally Posted by krong View Post
    Update of what I have done, tested voltage out of the box, no load, reads 22v
    The DC voltage at the F connector (LNB In) at the rear of the receiver should be approx. 13 VDC for vertical polarity and approx. 18 VDC for horizontal polarity.

...Using my dish the receiver displays: Loading, Run (I can see made in Korea in the monitor) one second of picture of channel then receiver shows L620 and nothing else works....
    The thread which MTV has linked to in his later post refers to "Loader Version:L6.20", so possibly the L620 you refer to is not an error code, but a reference to the Loader version, which the receiver has installed. This normally appears at boot up.
    I have never seen a satellite receiver error code of L620.

Perhaps you should follow the advice offered in the thread referred to in post #8 and try to reload appropriate software, as the existing software could be corrupted.

There could also be a receiver hardware fault as has been suggested by those at the satellite shop where you sought advice.

Try the software approach first (as it is by far the less-expensive option and the OP in the thread mentioned succeeded in restoring HD900 to working order). You have nothing to lose.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    No!! The Zinwell ZCF-D21B is a linear polarised LNB(F), therefore the LNB must be installed with the correct skew for the satellite and installation location involved.
    Aaahh, thank you. Sorry, I do apologize.

The DC voltage at the F connector (LNB In) at the rear of the receiver should be approx. 13 VDC for vertical polarity and approx. 18 VDC for horizontal polarity.
    Yes, that 22V sounded a bit odd.

The thread which MTV has linked to in his later post refers to "Loader Version:L6.20", so possibly the L620 you refer to is not an error code, but a reference to the Loader version, which the receiver has installed. This normally appears at boot up.
    I have never seen a satellite receiver error code of L620.
    Yes, I have to agree. Normally error codes will be indicated by an "E" in front of them and some of them appear on the LED display on the front of the box where channel numbers appear if not as a message on the actual TV screen itself. Usually those that appear on the front panel LED display are hardware-related errors and stops the box from running or scanning channels all together. A message on-screen is usually an "E" error message.

What is puzzling though is that the on-screen "message" just says L620 with no explanation or message to accompany it.

krong (02-12-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    An unusal event that could cause the LNB to fail, although usually not without warning or that fast is HEAT and Sydney has just had a couple of Scorchers last week.
    I know Ku LNB's have failed when the Sun is directly behind the LNB when that happens twice a year because they are fixed in place but I dont know if a C Band LNB can suffer from heat or not.

Another thing is to check the inside of the LNB if you havent already done so to ensure you have no unathorised 'squatters' setting up house there.
    Yes, that is totally possible. I've read somewhere that in direct sunlight, in very hot areas, LNBs can reach temperatures of 80 or even 90 °C. That's hot! Hopefully, that would solve the "squatter" problem though, through a "slow-roasting" process.

krong (02-12-15)

Thanks

The L620 only shows on the LEDs in front of the box, not on the monitor.
    It shows 22vdc without a load, dodgy voltage regulator.
    I'll take the box where i bought it for a proper test and if possible flush the software and reinstall it. If everything fails, I will buy another box, any opinion on Powers M408 for $150?

Administrator
    Thanks

The 22vdc is a definite box problem.

The LNB wouldn't be happy with that.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

krong (03-12-15)

Thanks

Thumbs up

Update: I did try the software rather than driving 1.5 Hrs to Sat shop.
    Using a different meter, this time I got 17.1 vdc.so far so good.
    Downloaded the software, installed in a thumb drive followed the instructions provided by you guys, flushed/reinstalled drivers.
    Then
    Everything is working ok, back to what it was before.
    I would like to thank all of you for the BIG HELP in bringing this box back to life.
    Henri

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krong For This Useful Post:

irritant (03-12-15),mtv (03-12-15)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Thanks for the update.

It's good to know that re-loading the receiver software cured the problems you encountered.

This frustrating experience should have taught you a number of things which should be filed way for future reference.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

krong (03-12-15)

Thanks

I couldn't have done it without your help, keeping record of conversations and software back up on a thumb drive.
    Thank you again

Administrator
    Thanks

Pleased you got it sorted, relatively simply.

Thanks for posting how you solved your issue, as threads like this help others who may experience a similar problem at some time.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

gulliver (03-12-15),irritant (03-12-15),krong (05-12-15)

Thanks

Great!

That's still a good box at least which can still be salvaged. My experience with UEC boxes for example has been that once they start displaying stuff on the front, they are pretty much done for.
    Last edited by irritant; 03-12-15 at 06:38 PM.

krong (05-12-15)