Thread: Android password

Banned

Thanks

Default Android password

Just bought a new Mpie 5” smartphone running android 4.4.2 and there are no instructions of worth with it. Had to do a lot of searching to find out about them. Now at the stage of being able to tether it to my laptop (linux mint 17.2) and get to it through the devise manager, but to transfer data between them requires a password it says. But my laptop password doesn't work and I can't find anywhere in the phone to set up a password, even though in settings it mentions passwords, but nowhere I can find to set one up.

Expect it will be easy but this is the first time I've had anything to really do with android, so if anyone can steer me in the right direction to fix this, would be appreciated. Also bought an android Xgody 10” tablet which has the same android version, to see how it goes compared to the phone and laptop. Do a bit of traveling on business and pleasure, once I understand how android works, will migrate either Ubuntu or mint onto the phone and tablet. Then everything will be under my control and not some greedy snooping company and can connect them all together if I want to.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,531 Posts

have you tried default 0000

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Hmm, no password on my 2 android phones (Samsung).
    They just plug in & connect showing up as phone & sd card comes up as Storage device.

If you connect via Bluetooth then the pairing requires you to enter a PIN (of your choice) on both devices, that's standard & I'm pretty sure that is not what you mean.

Anyway some info on tethering in the following links, not sure if it will help you, can't see any mention of passwords except for BlueTooth pairing as I said above.

Lot's of luck.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

tristen (23-11-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    Just bought a new Mpie 5” smartphone running android 4.4.2 and there are no instructions of worth with it. Had to do a lot of searching to find out about them. Now at the stage of being able to tether it to my laptop (linux mint 17.2) and get to it through the devise manager, but to transfer data between them requires a password it says. But my laptop password doesn't work and I can't find anywhere in the phone to set up a password, even though in settings it mentions passwords, but nowhere I can find to set one up.

Expect it will be easy but this is the first time I've had anything to really do with android, so if anyone can steer me in the right direction to fix this, would be appreciated. Also bought an android Xgody 10” tablet which has the same android version, to see how it goes compared to the phone and laptop. Do a bit of traveling on business and pleasure, once I understand how android works, will migrate either Ubuntu or mint onto the phone and tablet. Then everything will be under my control and not some greedy snooping company and can connect them all together if I want to.
    Are you talking about tethering = using your phone as a wifi hotspot? or just connecting via a USB cable, or connecting via bluetooth?
    for a wifi hotspot, your password is set in "portable wifi hotspot settings", using a USB it's just plug and play, haven't tried tranferring files via bluetooth though

I have an android phone, and linux mint 17 cinnamon 32 bit, and am connected via the android as a wifi hotspot now.

Banned

Thanks

Thanks, just connecting via usb, when tethered is comes up as wired connection2 and that's where it asks for a password. When on usb it shows up in computer as linux devise-cd gadget, but can't access or open it at all and there are two of them. Don't want to have to take out the sd card to get to photo's etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

try unlocking the screen while connected to your pc
    my Samsung doesn't show folders until I do that

Banned

Thanks

Thanks, tried that, didn't work. Added a password for the screen unlock, made no difference either way, tethering - un-tethering makes no difference.

Banned
    Thanks

Is it a bad USB connection maybe??