Thread: Ku lnb

Thanks

Default Ku lnb

Merry Xmas, All
    Looking for a KU Band LNB for a 2.3M mesh dish.
    One where I can take the old one out , n the new fits straight in
    Any shop sell this item?
    Thanks for a reply.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

A 2.3m mesh dish is normally used for C-band reception, not Ku-band reception, so perhaps you mean a C-band LNB?

As there are many different types of LNB's, each with their own mounting arrangements, it is not possible to answer your question with any confidence.

Look at the LNB's illustrated on an on-line satellite equipment supplier's website such as , , etc. to see if you can identify what is currently installed on your dish.

Also, not knowing where you live makes it difficult for members to recommend a local supplier.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

mtv (23-12-15),Tiny (23-12-15)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

+1 for what tristen said.

Also a picture (of the current dish & LNBf) is worth a thousand words.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

mtv (23-12-15),tristen (23-12-15)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Please clarify that it is actually a Ku-Band LNB you want, not C-Band.

Mesh dishes are generally poor performers on Ku-Band as a lot of signal can go through the mesh, even Ku-rated mesh does not perform as well as a much smaller solid dish.

Eg: you'll likely get better results with an 85cm solid offset dish and offset Ku LNBF than you would with a Ku prime focus LNBF on a 2.3m mesh dish.

Mesh dishes require prime focus LNBF's which are available for Ku-Band, but intended for use on solid prime focus dishes.

There are some cheap dual-band LNBF's around, but they are also comparably poor performers.

Commercial quality prime focus Ku LNB's with separate feedhorns work well, but one again, intended for prime focus dishes.

As mentioned, perhaps some more info from you will help, such as is your dish mesh Ku-rated? Where you are located? What is it you wish to achieve? etc.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

tristen (23-12-15)

Thanks

it is the common Strong 2.3 M dish.
    I have 2 rotating ones at my workshop, live in Gippsland Vic.
    But I want to get a KU LNB for a simular dish sat on Asia2 to be moved to Intelsat 19 for "My Star"
    I remember years ago I bought a couple of Combo KU-C band LNB's in Ban Moo, Bangkok for a song.
    Stupidly I gave them away to my mates, but I know you could buy the single ones in the past here.
    Not worried about some losses, Should achieve at least 14db c/n , I be happy.
    Focusing and alignment could be a bit touchy, but I can give it a go.

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hansron View Post
    ...Looking for a KU Band LNB for a 2.3M mesh dish.
    One where I can take the old one out , n the new fits straight in...
    If, as the wording of your question suggests, you mean to simply remove the existing C-band LNB from its scalar ring assembly and "slide in" a Ku-band LNB, the difficulty you face is that the physical diameters of C-band and Ku-band LNB's are different.

However, there is a post at which describes a method to achieve this.

There is also a product available at ! and another at .

Neither method is advisable as the results obtained will not be optimum (and you are already contemplating using a C-band mesh dish for Ku-band reception, which is going to be very inefficient, as mtv has stated in his reply).

You can obtain and install either a dual C-band/Ku-band LNB as you had before, such as at (remembering that a dual unit is a compromise and therefore not as efficient as dedicated single band units) or a Ku-band LNB c/w feed for a prime focus dish.

If the latter, make sure that the LNB is dual polarity (if you require BOTH vertical and horizontal transponders), otherwise a single polarity unit will do (by simply rotating the LNB to the polarity desired).

In any case it must come with a prime focus feed (horn). (Offset dishes require the use of offset feeds and prime focus dishes, such as you contemplate using, require the use of prime-focus feeds). MTV has already stated this.

Check the links I posted previously to see if those Australian suppliers have what you need, or alternatively, look for one on eBay or elsewhere.

...Focusing and alignment could be a bit touchy, but I can give it a go.
    Yes. You will have many images (focal points) due to the poor surface integrity of the mesh dish at Ku-band frequencies. The trick is to pick the strongest.

Taking all of of the foregoing into consideration, I feel (as MTV has pointed out) that you will be better off if you use a 85-90cm offset dish fitted with the appropriate KU-band LNB(F).

Incidentally, which channels do you mean when you say, "Intelsat 19 for "My Star"".
    Last edited by tristen; 25-12-15 at 11:36 PM.

mtv (26-12-15),Tiny (26-12-15)

Administrator
    Thanks

An 85/90cm solid offset dish on an horizon/horizon motor will enable the use of any cheap offset Ku LNBF and will most likely outperform a 2.3m mesh dish.

Combination C/Ku LNBF's are available and you said you've had them previously, but gave them away, but you didn't say how well they worked for you or your mates.

If they worked well enough for you and provided dual polarity, then that's the cheapest way for you to go.

The alternative is a prime focus feedhorn with two separate Ku LNB's on a Ku Coupler.

I have installed several of this type of LNB configurations for commercial applications, but if you're prepared to pay the big $ for something like that, then it would be silly to install them on a mesh dish.

Quote Originally Posted by hansron
    I want to get a KU LNB for a simular dish sat on Asia2 to be moved to Intelsat 19 for "My Star"
    Can you clarify what you're wanting to do?

Did you mean Asiasat 5? (Asiasat 2 is long gone) and AFAIK there is no Ku footprint into Australia from Asiasat 5.

Or did you mean re-point an old dish that was on Asiasat2 to now point to IS19... but not move, as in fixed, not motorised? (If that's the case, certainly the best option is a solid offset 85-90cm dish)

Also, what is "My Star" on IS 19?

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Tiny (26-12-15),tristen (26-12-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

I've been through the exercise of trying to find a dual-out, prime-focus Ku LNB, and I can tell you that they are an endangered species in Australia

Only thing I could find was this, ex-UK:

Scroll down the page to "Invacom Feedhorn with twin Inverto or Invacom C120 LNB"

Converted to A$, with freight, you're looking at around $180.

Couldn't talk Santa into it this year

If you just want a single-output Ku prime-focus, try:

You'll see they've got a Satking and a Zinwell unit - the Zinwell is 11300....if that's suitable for your purposes, they're chucking them out at $25...you'll still need the adaptor bracket that Tristen referenced, though.

Also, both of those LNBs are referred to as being for 1 - 1.2m dishes, so not sure how well they'll go on your 2.3.

I have a 90cm offset fixed on IS19 to receive Euronews, RT, and France 24 on 12286H.

The transponder that I think you’re after (12646H - MySat) is romping in here SS/97 SQ/94.

I think that the advice you’ve been given about using an 80/90cm solid offset dish is the best you’ll get.

All up, offset dish and LNB would set you back around $100 – around the same as what you’re looking at to convert your mesh dish to Ku band....and a much better chance of success.
    Last edited by Thala Dan; 26-12-15 at 08:49 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

mtv (26-12-15)

Thanks

I didn't want to stuff around installing an offset dish.
    My mate used that combo LNB on his friend dish to pick up RAI on I. 19. just recently
    No problem noted so far
    As for Asia 2, yes I meant 5. My sat on 12646H. 28066 intelsat 19
    As for Signal and Q on meters or decoders ,what reference is taken?
    Different items shows different readings
    I always go for db or ber. etc.
    Thanks for the giving me the web addresses, I check them out.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Reference:

SQ/94% on SRT4922A = Bloody big signal.

Yeah...use them a bit myself...but couldn't be bothered digging out the meter in view of a totally acceptable signal level on the receiver.

Premium Member

Thanks

I didn't want to stuff around installing an offset dish.
    If you want to do the job properly, an offset dish is the preferred option. Anything else appears very much like stuffing around to me.

That said, if you are determined to use the existing C-band mesh dish, the link I previously posted () provides the least expensive (but far from ideal) method.

My mate used that combo LNB on his friend dish to pick up RAI on I. 19. just recently
    No problem noted so far
    In that case, if you are satisfied with the results he is getting, go down that path.

As for Asia 2, yes I meant 5. My sat on 12646H. 28066 intelsat 19
    Ah! So that is the bouquet in question.

If you had posted accurate, relevant information in your first post, it would have prevented a lot of confusion and frustration for those attempting to help you - me in particular.

Different items shows different readings
    The indications on receivers cannot be taken as accurate. They are relative only, as they are taken from different places in the signal processing chain.

The only readings which are accurate, however they are expressed, i.e. BER or whatever, are those taken BEFORE any error correction is applied by the receiver hardware. To my knowledge, no domestic-grade receiver does this. Different manufacturers calculate such measurements of signal strength and/or quality from different points in the signal processing chain.

It is my guess that most if not all of the cheap signal quality/alignment meters on the market do exactly the same thing.

Thanks for the giving me the web addresses, I check them out.
    Thank you for the acknowledgement.

I apologise if I appear to be a little terse, but I get rather frustrated with posts which provide scant and inaccurate information.

I liken it to a little how a dentist feels when attempting to pull obstinate teeth.

Happy Festive Season and good luck with your efforts to receive the Mysat bouquet on Intelsat 19.

mtv (26-12-15),Tiny (26-12-15)

Administrator
    Thanks

As per tristen's post, it would have been so much easier for everyone if you had posted what you hoped to receive to begin with.

Also, you do realise the MySat package on IS19 is encrypted and you will need a subscription, together with a decoder and smartcard to receive those channels?

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Tiny (26-12-15),tristen (26-12-15)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Yep, I was right; I reckon it has taken at least a thousand words to get the correct picture.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

mtv (26-12-15),tristen (26-12-15)