Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cloud Storage and Photos - Options and reviews

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I wonder how much it costs on mobile data to download 1 TB of files that you already own, or how much you could save a year if you didn't need high data quota packages to constantly access this glorious cloud.
    Then cost of transferring to cloud storage becomes priceless if your phone or SD card with 1TB of photos gets lost/stolen/damaged/corrupted.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

admin (15-02-20),lsemmens (15-02-20)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    Then cost of transferring to cloud storage becomes priceless if your phone or SD card with 1TB of photos gets lost/stolen/damaged/corrupted.
    In this world of "everything connected" it is sad that some people have forgotten what hard drives were good for.
    Ransomware can infect photos stored on the cloud, basically anything that is connected at the time of the attack.
    No matter what they all claim, hackers will eventually find a vulnerability in anything online.
    The more complicated things get the more bugs and vulnerabilities there will be.

A couple of hard drives with all your precious that are stored away, maybe in a fireproof case, now THAT is priceless!
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

enf (23-02-20),hinekadon (08-02-20),lsemmens (15-02-20),Tiny (09-02-20),tristen (08-02-20)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

In this world of "everything connected" it is sad that some people have forgotten what hard drives were good for.
    Ransomware can infect photos stored on the cloud, basically anything that is connected at the time of the attack.
    No matter what they all claim, hackers will eventually find a vulnerability in anything online.
    The more complicated things get the more bugs and vulnerabilities there will be.

A couple of hard drives with all your precious that are stored away, maybe in a fireproof case, now THAT is priceless!
    Totally agree with these sentiments.

I use USB hard drives, such as Toshiba 1TB Canvio Basics Portable Hard Drive Black from a supplier such as Office Works or your local computer store, to store/backup ALL my precious stuff.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (08-02-20),Uncle Fester (09-02-20)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post
    Any further updates admin?
    In 2020 are you using the same products?
    Pretty much mate.

I have the same content on both One Drive and Google Drive and when I take a photo both upload it.

The odds of my backup hard drives failing is far more likely than Microsoft and Googles huge worldwide data centers of raid arrays failing. If they do, its likely the world has ended so I probably wont care.

What can I say ? I can pull up a photo of something in seconds from today, 1860 or anything in between. I have date changed all my historic photos as far back as 1860 to their correct dates or just years if I dont have the info. Its quite interesting getting a "On this day in 1920" notification and click on it and see its your great grandparents 100th wedding anniversary or similar. Or just what you were doing 2, 5, 10, 20, 30 years ago on that day. Its a value that a hard drive in a cupboard does not have.

I was also using Amazon Photos on their smallest plan which was really good value, but they made a huge price hike so I ditched it and will stick to the big 2. Dropbox is far too expensive. It was also handy getting Office 365 for nothing with One Drive.

A bit of topic, but have you noticed that when ever I actually post a tech review related thread, it fills up with people who don't like new technology ? Maybe that's why I stopped posting them. Of course it probably doesn't help the site, but its hard to see why its worth the bother. I suppose I could open a separate "tin foil hat" section for those that don't like and resist all forms of modern technology ? 486's on early Linux routed through 18 firewalls and a 56k modem, woo !

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Hack my random 18 character password then and drop an "infected" photo in my account for me.

No matter what they all claim, hackers will eventually find a vulnerability in anything online
    Shit, you better hang up the 56k, this forum is actually connected online meaning your account is vulnerable !

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (16-02-20)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Hack my random 18 character password then and drop an "infected" photo in my account for me.

Shit, you better hang up the 56k, this forum is actually connected online meaning your account is vulnerable !

Totally missing the point as usual, LOL

If you picked up ransomware and it becomes active(they have time bombs) while you are connected to the cloud, your 18 character password is useless.
    Also bad idea if you are using that same password for all you accounts.

Passwords don't get hacked, they get found through human error, fishing, cloned websites, etc. You can use 8 or 100 characters, that does not matter.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 16-02-20 at 09:32 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123