Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cloud Storage and Photos - Options and reviews

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default Cloud Storage and Photos - Options and reviews

I thought it might be time for a bit of a mini review on this topic as many people are still unaware of the benefits of cloud storage.

I have mentioned in a couple of threads that I no longer buy stand alone cameras. The digital camera has been a fantastic invention, allowing us to take photos, review and keep or discard, store and for the first few years, lose valuable photos.

Mobile phone camera technology is now absolutely fantastic. I recently upgraded from a Samsung Galaxy S5 to a Samsung Galaxy Note 5. The difference has been noticeable, low light is no longer a problem and images are much sharper with lovely colour. Here are a couple of examples I recently took.

The advantage of using a quality phone camera is having direct cloud storage. As soon as I take a photo, it is automatically upload to my cloud account (dependant on settings). If I dropped my phone in the ocean at the end of the day, I wouldn't lose the photos that I took. I would lose the copies on the phone of course, but a copy has already gone up to my cloud account.

I have recently had a good play with the 4 most popular cloud storage offerings and have reviewed them for members below.

Google have done a pretty good job with their offering. Previously, you had to subscribe to Google Plus to use Google Photos but Google obviously took on board the complaints (most from people like me that didnt want to be forced to use a social media tool like Plus) and came back with an even better offering.

If you already have a Gmail account, you already have Google Photos. With a Google Account you receive 15 gig of storage space. This is shared by Google Drive (used to store anything from images to documents), Google Photos and Gmail. If you go over 15 gig, you can purchase extra storage from Google - (Prices in USD) $1.99 a month - 100 gig, $9.99 a month - 1 TB, $99.99 a month - 10 TB.

Google offers a unique option with Google Photos - they will store your photos for free at what they call "High Quality" using adavnced compression techinques or if you wish to store your photos at the exact same quality that you took them, then they are counted against your quota. I personally prefer to keep mine at their original quality, but I must say that I cant see any visible difference on photos they have compressed. That makes Google Photos a great free backup option for many. From what I have read, they start compressing at around 16 MP.

The Google Photos App is excellent. Easy to use and full of features. It was already on my phone when I bought it (like most brand name android phones) so all I had to do was log in and change settings to suit what I want. When I take a photo, its backed up to my cloud account based on my settings. I have mine mainly set to "wifi only", so photos only upload when I am connected to wireless to avoid mobile data charges.

Photos can be displayed in a number of different formats such as standard view, month view, and year view as shown in listed in order below :

Automatic face and place recognition is excellent. The App will scan your photos (if you let it) and will identify individual people and group them together. All you then have to add is add a label (ie name).
    It will do the same with places and even with everyday items, ie, dogs, cats, churchs, cars etc etc. It works amazingly well and is very accurate, though you will get the odd item in the wrong group which is easily removed. But all up, its great and works well. If for example you wanted to show a friend a photo from when you went camping in 2012, you can easily find it simply by using Year View , or by Places.

With many people using Gmail these days, its a must have. One other thing I will mention is that when you click on and view a photo with Google Photos, its allows you full zooming if you want to zone in on something. None of its competitors have zooming on this scale which is disappointing. A lot of the time you will look at a photo and think (for example) what written on that guys shirt and want to zoom in. Its great in this app.

I will review Dropbox next when I have time (in this same thread) followed by Amazon Photos and then Microsoft OneDrive. Comments, questions are welcome.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

freakee1 (06-12-15),LeroyPatrol (07-12-15),ol' boy (16-12-15)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I have had a lot of customers that have lost important photos from their "phones" and I recommended cloud storage as an automatic thing to do for their device. Its a fantastic idea that can remove a massive amount of stress when they realise that their touch screen no longer works (for whatever reason) and they can't access their photos.

Customers tell me that they don't give a rats about the phone, but really want the photos............ and sometimes they are on the device, never to come off.............

Awesome post admin - definitely worth a look for those that don't currently have something on their multi media mapping communications memories device that can take calls (I think "phone" doesn't quite cut it these days)

f
    有段者

• The Following User Says Thank You to freakee1 For This Useful Post:

admin (06-12-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Use Flickr here:
    - 1TB of free storage (can create multiple accounts and link them if you need even more).
    - full size images permitted (does not auto resize to a smaller quality or compress images like others).
    - good apps for all phones (as well as PC's and Mac's).
    - allows auto updates from all apps.
    - a good user changeable catalog and album layout.

Administrator
    Thanks

Dropbox is one of the most popular services and ironically, one of the most expensive. Its not just for photos, its for files of all kinds.

I cant seem to find the claim (I have read it somewhere), but Dropbox claims to be substantially faster at uploading than any other provider. After testing the 4 services mentioned in my original post, I believe their claims are true. My photos were up in my account much faster than any of the others.

Dropbox has a seperate app, but up until a couple of says ago, they were encouraging you to use their app called Carousel to view your photos. They have now sent out an email saying that they are going to be removing the Carousel app.

I found Carousel to be generally pretty good from a user perspective. One feature I enjoyed ( and will miss a lot) is called Flashback. You get an alert on your phone that their are "flashbacks" - photos from the same day years ago. You can then see what photos you have from (example) 11 December back through the years. Its quite scary really, looking at some thinking, 'wow , was that 5 years ago ?". The only other service with an app that does this is Amazon photos.

I dont know if its still worth posting the Carousel screenshots ( as it will soon be removed), but here they are. I would post some actual Dropbox app shots, but my wife is sucking the guts out of my internet connection streaming a movie at the moment.

I am a bit of a believer in the saying you get what you pay for. Dropbox is a Premium product and you pay accordingly. Some products which I havent reviewed will display adds on free offerings. None of the reviewed products display adds.

The base offering for a starting account is tiny. Dropbox Basic gives you a whopping 2 gig which of course gets you no where. But with a little bit of ingenuity, you can soon boost that much higher.
    You are offered extra space for referrals and for installing the app amongst other things, but your best option is to go to and get some expert help for $5. They can either boost your existing account up to about 22gig with bogus referrals or create a new account for you with a 1 TB limit. It all works well

Dropbox basically want you to move up to Dropbox Pro with its 1Tb limit for AUD $12.99 a month, but I have found that on Dropbox Basic you can move to Dropbox Basic + and add 25 gig for AUD $3.99 a month (they dont seem to advertise this.....I found it by accident) So with that, and my referrals, I have around 65 gig for $3.99 a month which I am reasonably happy with.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by freakee1 View Post
    I have had a lot of customers that have lost important photos from their "phones" and I recommended cloud storage as an automatic thing to do for their device. Its a fantastic idea that can remove a massive amount of stress when they realise that their touch screen no longer works (for whatever reason) and they can't access their photos.

Customers tell me that they don't give a rats about the phone, but really want the photos............ and sometimes they are on the device, never to come off.............

Awesome post admin - definitely worth a look for those that don't currently have something on their multi media mapping communications memories device that can take calls (I think "phone" doesn't quite cut it these days)

f
    I think with most people having either a Google or Microsoft account these days (gmail or hotmail), there really is no reason not to back up to one or the other. As mentioned, you can replace a phone, but you cant replace photos. It is quite amusing though watching "anti cloud" people struggling with their backup solutions because "clouds" are not safe from hackers. Its no less safe than any other part of the internet and I think anyone that is worried about having their photos stolen perhaps must have an "interesting" collection of photos

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    Use Flickr here:
    - 1TB of free storage (can create multiple accounts and link them if you need even more).
    - full size images permitted (does not auto resize to a smaller quality or compress images like others).
    - good apps for all phones (as well as PC's and Mac's).
    - allows auto updates from all apps.
    - a good user changeable catalog and album layout.
    Flickr havent hit it big in overall popularity in this sector because I think they are at the moment struggling to work out exactly what they want to be.

For years they have been a photo sharing and image hosting site with the main focus being on not a lot of privacy. Now they are trying to move to private storage via phone camera upload (only as of May), yet people dont associate them much with privacy.

They are owned by Yahoo and I believe this is their current offering:

Flickr offers three types of account: Free, Ad Free and Doublr. The free option includes one terabyte of storage limited to 200 MB per photo and 1 GB per video with maximum length 3 minutes. The Ad Free option allows subscribers to avoid advertisements for an annual fee. The Doublr account includes twice the storage of a free account.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

There is also a number of "Personal Home Cloud" storage options now, for those that don't like the idea of leaving their personal stuff with someone else.
    1, 2, 3 and 4TB Personal NAS with Cloud type storage for all your portable devices.

Save photos from your Smartphones, Tablets etc wirelessly when you are home or out and about, Just as Drop Box or Google works.

I have just purchased a Seagate 2TB NAS with Cloud thingy, personally i don't like it.
    Too many external programs and software etc

Im old school, just back up your phone photos from time to time and keep them on a portable storage device.
    You can connect a portable HHD direct to you Smartphone with no need for a PC and just transfer them over.

The other thing i find about Photos these days, is when do you ever go back to look at them?
    They seem to be valid for a few months, then you will never look at them again, unless you are going through some old files, and find them by accident.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 11-12-15 at 06:07 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Im old school, just back up your phone photos from time to time
    And thats where the problem lies. People dont do it from time to time. They say they will and then they dont do it. People in general are lazy and I reckon Australians are pretty much top of the tree.
    They dont do it then they come asking "Is there anyway to get the photos of this phone I dropped in the bay ?"

Phone camera technology just gets better and better and there is little need to lug a separate camera around these days. You can take a photo and its auto uploaded and you dont have to do a thing. For what is now minute quality difference, you can have a quality smart phone camera with you all the time and not miss a photo opportunity rather than spending a fortune on a dedicated camera thats only with you not even half the time.

In regards to standalone cameras, all you have to do is unload the photos in your cloud storage folder on your desktop of your PC, you then have a local copy on your PC and a copy in your cloud account.

What do you do when your home storage HD blows up ? Or do you buy a second to backup the first ? I can see why people might have one, in that case your smart second option is cloud storage. You already have all your email in it, why not photos ? Its no more or less secure than anything else. You are more likely to have someone break in to your house than crack/hack a random 8 digit plus password.

The other thing i find about Photos these days, is when do you ever go back to look at them?
    I regularly get a Flashback notification and look back at photos. It regularly happens when I am with friends and if they are in them, they are also interested to see what they were doing and what they looked like at the time. It creates plenty of discussion.

With friends
    Flashback notification on phone.
    Look at Flashback photos
    Say to mate "haha, look at this pic of you drunk with your leg on fire !"
    No way he says, when was that ?
    Lake Eildon February 2003
    Wow, and you have that on your phone ?
    No, its in my Google Photos/Dropbox/Amazon Photos/Microsoft Onedrive account
    Whats a Google Photos/Dropbox/Amazon Photos/Microsoft Onedrive account ?
    Explain the above.
    Wow, can you just pull up photos from any date or time ?
    Yep.
    "Can you set that up on my phone ?"
    Groans but thinks how good it will be when I dont have to try and recover his lost photos in the future.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (11-12-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks

That sounds pretty good.
    Especially handy if you are at someones house and need to retrieve a photo you have at home.

The other thing about these Personal NAS / Cloud storage
    Is you can set them up just like Dropbox of Google, so when you take a photo, it uploads it to your NAS/Cloud at home.
    (obviously you will need an internet connection at home)

You can also look up and retrieve your photos and other files while anywhere in the world.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Question admin: When do you upload the photos to the cloud?
    Straight after they are taken, hence using your 3G/4G connection if you are out and about.
    Or do you have it set to upload once in a WiFi connection?

My partner needs a Mobile Photo solution and its only come to the fore when her sister dropped her iPhone in the water on a recent holiday.

My concern is, my partner already runs out of Mobile Data before the month is out.
    She doesn't have WiFi at home either.

So i got her a OTG cable so she can save them to a USB stick.
    I've also purchased a Person Cloud Storage NAS, but we haven't started to use that yet.

Banned

Thanks

I still use a camera, yet to find a phone that can take photos like a good digital SLA camera. the camera on my phone is great as are the apps for editing, but they don't have the ability or quality for really good photography.

Shots I take with my phone, can be uploaded to my home server, which runs 24/7 for the security systems and so far have only taken 4 photos on my phone. The SLA goes in the car and it's the same with movies, still have an analogue video camera, it produces such excellent quality, just can't change. Even though do have a digital video camera, which is rarely used.

As for using the could, heard to many problems with it and do know a pro photographer, who used the cloud and discovered some of his shots elsewhere. But everyone to their own and I'm one of those who like to have full control over my things and not give that responsibility to others. Especially when they charge you for a useless just for profit growth service. If the clouds collapses or the they broke, goodbye data. The photographer found out he had no claim for his work when using the cloud, as you give your rights over to the cloud owner and they could do what they want with his data. No different to microsoft and apple, who can take your data and use it from your computer with impunity.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    I still use a camera, yet to find a phone that can take photos like a good digital SLA camera. the camera on my phone is great as are the apps for editing, but they don't have the ability or quality for really good photography.

Shots I take with my phone, can be uploaded to my home server, which runs 24/7 for the security systems and so far have only taken 4 photos on my phone. The SLA goes in the car and it's the same with movies, still have an analogue video camera, it produces such excellent quality, just can't change. Even though do have a digital video camera, which is rarely used.

As for using the could, heard to many problems with it and do know a pro photographer, who used the cloud and discovered some of his shots elsewhere. But everyone to their own and I'm one of those who like to have full control over my things and not give that responsibility to others. Especially when they charge you for a useless just for profit growth service. If the clouds collapses or the they broke, goodbye data. The photographer found out he had no claim for his work when using the cloud, as you give your rights over to the cloud owner and they could do what they want with his data. No different to microsoft and apple, who can take your data and use it from your computer with impunity.
    I agree with most of what you wrote.
    Problem is today's mentality: if you don't share you must have something to hide. We are being brainwashed to think that the wish for privacy is associated with crime.

I have had two people(girls with jealous boy friends) come to me for advice about what to do about their hacked iCloud accounts.
    I could only tell them that they have to reset their phone to factory and create a new Apple ID. This means they loose everything including purchases.
    There is software available to track all iCloud transfers and also have access to messages, etc. This is apparently legal if it is used by parents to track the online activity of their children, but what stops anybody else from using it to steal your identity. It usually requires access to the phone to install but there is also cloud tracking software that does not need access to the device.

The way things are going, I expect in a few years or less that all photos and videos on phones will by law have to be automatically uploaded to a Cloud anyway, to stop terrorism.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 12-12-15 at 03:29 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Administrator
    Thanks

Question admin: When do you upload the photos to the cloud?
    Straight after they are taken, hence using your 3G/4G connection if you are out and about.
    Or do you have it set to upload once in a WiFi connection?
    The choice is yours.

Due to our relatively high cost of mobile data, you can set to "wifi only" so that as soon as you connect to wifi, it will upload. Or you can have it auto upload via 3G/4G immediately.

With 4G and its super fast uploads, your photo is in your account literally immediately. If you only take the odd snap, its probably the best and easiest option. If you take a few and dont want to gobble up your mobile data, set to wifi.

My partner needs a Mobile Photo solution and its only come to the fore when her sister dropped her iPhone in the water on a recent holiday.

My concern is, my partner already runs out of Mobile Data before the month is out.
    She doesn't have WiFi at home either.

So i got her a OTG cable so she can save them to a USB stick.
    I've also purchased a Person Cloud Storage NAS, but we haven't started to use that yet.
    Yeah, thats a bit of a problem.

Depending on how many pics she takes, she might want to look at a new mobile plan with a bit more data. There are some pretty competitive plans at the moment across the big 3 networks and even resellers (MVNO's).

Premium Member
    Thanks

I think that is a problem with me, my partner and other friends.
    Is we take so many photos during the day, of meaningless things, or pics we take just to send to show something instead of explaining it.
    So really, these pics only have a relative life span of 1 day or perhaps an hour even.

Is there a way to filter out all your day to day photos from the quality pics you want to store?

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    Try Samsung's Note 5 and S6/Edge. A National Geographic photographer recently completed his assignment for the magazine with a Nokia Lumia. No one believed he took the shots on a mobile until it was proven.

As for using the could, heard to many problems with it and do know a pro photographer, who used the cloud and discovered some of his shots elsewhere.
    First mistake - "hearing" things from others. Try things for yourself before making judgement. I call utter crap on this story. People seem to be under some sort of misguided illusion that a "cloud" account (seemingly because of the name) is somehow less secure than any other account. You seem to be a relatively intelligent bloke, yet you are telling "spook" stories. The perceived negativity with cloud accounts comes from some Apple users and their "icloud" accounts because of guessable passwords.

My photos go in to my Google account, the same account I have been using for email for the last 8 years. Number of hackings : Zero. Why ? Because I dont have a password that is ABC123 or similar.
    Do you use internet banking ? Is that more secure because it is a bank, even though it of course works on the same username and password scenario ? For even the most paranoid, Dropbox offers 2 step verification if you want it.

If the clouds collapses or the they broke, goodbye data.
    And if you are silly enough to only have one single backup, of course you would lose your data. Which is why people backup to MORE THAN ONE place, be it multiple cloud or home based storage.
    You do realise of course that if your house burnt down, your data would be gone as well in your above scenario dont you ? Some of these arguments to be honest are like they are out of the Amazon basin when villagers first saw an aeroplane.

The photographer found out he had no claim for his work when using the cloud, as you give your rights over to the cloud owner and they could do what they want with his data. No different to microsoft and apple, who can take your data and use it from your computer with impunity.
    \
    <cough><bullshit>

You would make a good village witch doctor

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    I have had two people(girls with jealous boy friends) come to me for advice about what to do about their hacked iCloud accounts.
    Its not very hard to give them advice is it ?

1. Dont give people your passwords.
    2. Dont choose any passwords that people can guess, ie, ABC123.

Accounts dont get hacked. They get guessed.

Administrator
    Thanks

I think that is a problem with me, my partner and other friends.
    Is we take so many photos during the day, of meaningless things, or pics we take just to send to show something instead of explaining it.
    So really, these pics only have a relative life span of 1 day or perhaps an hour even.

Is there a way to filter out all your day to day photos from the quality pics you want to store?
    You could leave upload turned off until you get home and then delete the crap you dont want to keep, then turn upload back on.

Edit : Just looking at photos in my phone gallery, you can touch any photo, select share and then select upload to <insert whatever your storage service is>
    Eg, I can touch a photo, touch share, touch "upload to Dropbox".

The same option is there for all storage services installed on the phone, ie, Dropbox, Google Photos, Google Drive, Amazon Photos (todays review), Microsoft OneDrive.

ol' boy (16-12-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Yeah, good point.
    I have Dropbox, i used it 2 years ago for a little bit, but now i have completely forgotten i have it (a worry in itself)

Yes i see i can push any photo to Dropbox in the selection menu

Administrator
    Thanks

Ok, today we will be talking Amazon Storage. Amazon offers 2 very well priced options. Although Amazon isnt big in Australia, they are massive overseas and own some pretty big server locations.

If just photos is what you need, Unlimited Storage for $11.99 is pretty hard to beat. You even get 5 gig for videos and files if you need to throw the odd one in there as well. Its smart marketing, because once you do it a few times and get used to it, you will need to upgrade to Unlimited Everything, though realistically its still a pretty good deal.

From the screenshots above, the first is the basic viewing page when you open the app, showing your photos. The second shot shows the menu , you can sea a link for "This Day". This option is the same as Dropbox's "Flashback" (which they are amazingly removing with their revamp, despite its popularity). You select it , and if it finds a photo from the same day in the past, it send you a link to "look back".

I think its great, as I have scanned a lot of our old film photos and have changed the file "photo taken" dates to correspond with the real time they were taken. So I can get links to "this day" in 1977 for example.Funny shit looking at yourself when you were 10 and wondering where it all went wrong

The last 2 images are from the settings page, just the usual options in regard to wifi, mobile date etc.

All up, Amazon offer a pretty good package for the price in my opinion. My only gripe is that I found it a little slow on upload.......but nothing was as fast as Dropbox. All up, I would give it a thumbs up for anyone looking for a well priced offer with unlimited storage.

ol' boy (16-12-15)

Administrator
    Thanks

Something I should probably have mentioned earlier in regards to backing up data.

When you have a cloud account and also have the program installed on your PC, you also have a local copy of your photos on your computer. So you have 2 copies - one in your online account and a local copy on your computer.

I should probably have cleared that up in regards to the "if the internet crashes you lose all your data". Though I am pretty sure places like Microsoft, Google, Amazon and Dropbox do actually mirror your data at multiple data centers

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast