Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: New Channel coming soon to 7 in Melbourne Dec 2015

Banned
    Thanks

The potential channel list for Seven "could" be:

LCN 07/70 - 7HD MPEG2 1080i (General entertainment, news, sport and weather for all viewers)
    *LCN 71 - 7 Family MPEG4 576i (heaps of content from Disney for kids and Warner Bros for family / night time hours)
    LCN 72 - 7 Two MPEG4 576i (General entertainment + British comedy/drama)
    LCN 73 - 7 Mate MPEG4 576i (geared towards males, heavy US sports (NFL, potentially baseball and AFL in non AFL states) and some motorsport like Bathurst 12hr and other motorsport content)
    *#LCN 74 - TV4ME (provided by Prime Media) MPEG4 576i (infotainment + shopping)
    *#*LCN 75 - 7 (WORLD) MPEG4 576i (international based content of news and sport + movies, co-owned with SBS or content supplied to Seven by SBS)
    **##LCN 76 - 7 (lifestyle + movies similar set up to Gem/Life)
    LCN 77 - Racing.Com MPEG4 576i (the deal between VRC and Seven actually is ending soon so who knows how long this channel stays around)

* At the moment its nothing more than just some leaked info, 7 and Disney have output deals and 7 recently got a hold of Warner Bros output content deal, it could be set up similar to Network 10 channel 11.
    *# Prime Media currently supply this channel to 7 in both MPEG2 and MPEG4, however in Prime regions its 100% MPEG4 so I expect Seven will also drop the MPEG2 feed when they make there mux changes.
    *#* At the moment its nothing more than just some leaked info, however Seven and SBS are partners in World Movies (pay TV channel) and Seven would be keen to have a channel like this in there line up.
    **## I have no idea what the channel name will be however as I and others have said it will be set up geared towards females (so the opposite of 7 Mate) so lifestyle content & older movies so a mix of Gem and Life.

The potential issues with doing 1 channel in HD MPEG2 1080i and the rest in SD MPEG4 576i is that some households with older equipment might not get any Seven Network at all due to there equipment
    not having HD MPEG2 let alone MPEG4 decoder abilities.
    The upside is that unlike Nine they can offer a better mix of multi-channels to suit ever possible combination, or in short a FTA version of pay TV, whereas Nine are locked into MPEG2 SD for at least the next 1 to 2 yars.

The other info is something that is really old that dates back to C7 Sport days when they did the original content deal with Optus TV, Seven wanted to do a channel called "Australia ONE" which was supposed to be all Australian content
    from Seven library (old and then new) and some Australian based sport, it never got started but I remember seeing plans for it back in the day from those who were at Optus TV (and Austar).

As for Network 10? The main talk going around is that ONE is going to be AXED, 10 will go HD MPEG4 1080i with a simulcast in MPEG2 576i and a new MPEG2 SD channel will be on the system, what that channel is? who knows.
    but one thing for sure is that 10 under potential Foxtel control means less then what is currently offered.

Thanks

It'll be 7PORK and consist of 24 x 7 advertising for MLA.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,871 Times in 886 Posts

Australian Open starts today and no sign of 7HD maybe 7Sucks is the new channel LOL

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

From what most of you have posted indicated SEVEN was going to 'Do Miracles and (please yourself) Wonders' in early January but now being 'Mid January', its a bit late but then again, they never said what 'YEAR' did they???
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

7HD looks like this in 1920x1080i (this was at break time)

and it also has the tennis live on it in HD too
    Last edited by jonc; 18-01-16 at 01:04 PM.
    It is a hobby so mileage varies
    Loving IPTV with XBMC and android M8
    Join in the XBMCHUB community and visit me at http://tvaddons.ag/

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonc View Post
    7HD looks like this in 1920x1080i (this was at break time)

and it also has the tennis live on it in HD too
    Yes IPTV is the only way to get 7HD so far

Premium Member

Thanks

The potential issues with doing 1 channel in HD MPEG2 1080i and the rest in SD MPEG4 576i is that some households with older equipment might not get any Seven Network at all due to there equipment
    not having HD MPEG2 let alone MPEG4 decoder abilities.
    Its not just 'SOME' householders who have bought TV's that do not have an MPEG4 capable tuner.

My local publican told me none of his TV's can pick the 3 channels and to say he wasnt impressed when I explained to him why and what MAY happen regarding the swapping about of the SD/HD channels and what he may have to do if he wants to receive them.
    Now while he didnt buy top of the range for the PUB, he didnt go cheapy either so trying to say 'he should have known better' when it was never advertised that MPEG4 capability had to be included for future use.
    Like most there is a sticker on the TV saying HD TUNER and thats it!!!

Personaly I think all the channels will have to embark on an intensive advertising campaign to explain to the public what are they doing before just simply ading channels like they did with SEVEN's Race.com etc without notice or they are going to piss off a lot of their audience.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

My two cents is that what ever happens the outcome will be people can continue to watch what ever channels they could today, tomorrow. Perhaps in SD rather than HD but that's it. What do I base this on? Bums on seats. Eyes on screens. The FTAs aren't rolling in cash as it is. Does anyone here seriously believe they'll do something that will directly prevent even 10% of their audience from being able to watch one of their existing channels?

I don't, Nein didn't either which is why GEM can still be viewed by anyone that wants to.

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpankedHam View Post
    My two cents is that what ever happens the outcome will be people can continue to watch what ever channels they could today, tomorrow. Perhaps in SD rather than HD but that's it. What do I base this on? Bums on seats. Eyes on screens. The FTAs aren't rolling in cash as it is. Does anyone here seriously believe they'll do something that will directly prevent even 10% of their audience from being able to watch one of their existing channels?

I don't, Nein didn't either which is why GEM can still be viewed by anyone that wants to.
    I totally agree with you regarding the 'Bums on Seats' and 'Eyes on Screen' but it still bugs me that SEVEN introduced those 3 extra channels without any sort of announcement of their inclusion nor how to receive them if your TV isnt MPEG4 compliant.

I have no idea how much information has been given to those in the Metro area regarding the proposed channel changes but other than what I read here in Austech, there has been nothing said at all in any Media and those I speak too know nothing either.

Banned

Thanks

Official News on 7HD coming in time for March footy season
    To find the proof Google - "what-australian-tv-will-look-like-in-2016 news.com.au"
    Then search "HD" in the news.com.au article

Nine launched its HD channel in November while Seven will do so before the AFL season kicks off in March.

Ten confirmed it is working on giving viewers an HD primary channel but wouldn’t put a time frame on it,
    saying it was working through some technical and rights issues.
    Last edited by pheggie; 18-01-16 at 06:16 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pheggie View Post
    Official News on 7HD coming in time for March footy season
    To find the proof Google - "what-australian-tv-will-look-like-in-2016 news.com.au"
    Then search "HD" in the news.com.au article

Nine launched its HD channel in November while Seven will do so before the AFL season kicks off in March.

Ten confirmed it is working on giving viewers an HD primary channel but wouldn’t put a time frame on it,
    saying it was working through some technical and rights issues.
    Seven executives when they signed the deal with AFL did say that AFL (the games that Seven will broadcast into AFL states) would be broadcast in HD for the new season, what is not known is what version, h264 MPEG4 or h262 MPEG2, at present into NSW and QLD (metro via Seven and regional via Seven owned regional (coastal QLD) and Prime Media) its on 7MATE which is h262 MPEG2.

I still and on the Seven will make 7HD as MPEG2 1080i as they have seen Nine take a brutal beating from every sector about making 9HD a MPEG4 format that only to be fair 50% can view in metro regions only let alone no regional till at least July 1 2016 and even then that might be via Southern Cross 10 frequency, so for Seven it makes sense to have there main channel to be inna format that at least 90+% can view with exitisting consumer equipment.

Now I could be wrong but then again most were saying CH 76 would be 7HD for the Tennis, its not so let's wait till Feb1 when Seven launches its 2016 television year.

Meanwhile Nine have really dropped the bitrate for 9HD because everyone who can't view that channel were complaining 9SD looked worse than Extra.

Ten on the other hand might have turned the corner with the potential sacking of Bolt Report, now to me thay means Ten is going to CIT major costs and get ready for Foxtel to take over via controlling ownership stake so get ready to say good bye to ONE HD.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Escape_from_Oz For This Useful Post:

pheggie (19-01-16)

Premium Member

Thanks

I still and on the Seven will make 7HD as MPEG2 1080i as they have seen Nine take a brutal beating from every sector about making 9HD a MPEG4 format that only to be fair 50% can view in metro regions only let alone no regional till at least July 1 2016 and even then that might be via Southern Cross 10 frequency, so for Seven it makes sense to have there main channel to be inna format that at least 90+% can view with exitisting consumer equipment.
    I can assure you such a deserved beating doesnt emmanate from the regionals as they dont get the 'new' channel at all.

I know Metro and regional are all stand alone business's who have their own needs and requirements to meet their markets but to the general viewing public who havent as clue, wonder why firstly their less than 3 year old TV's cant pick up the new channels and they hear new channels like 9LIFESTYLE isnt available in their areas??
    To put it bluntly they are so involved in trying to outwit each other they are forgetting that if Joe Public cant see the bloody program, then Joe Public wont buy what the sponsor is advertising will they?
    All the channels are crying how hard it is to pay their way and then they go out of their way to annoy the viewing public by introducing formats they havent got and dont tell them how to get them !!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Escape_from_Oz View Post
    SC10 doesn't use stat muxing as, bizarrely, they didn't set up to to it during the last rebuild even though that was the direction that every other broadcaster was moving in and has moved to. In order to try to keep everything looking semi reasonable (and only just barely) they instead have thrown every other trick in the book at the picture - from very variable GOP structures, to 3 consecutive b frames, to overall high levels of picture filtering and, at least last time I looked, an edge modifying algo that more often than not completely fubared and blurred edges randomly.

Even if Nein buys SC they are going to have to up end a large bucket of money into the operation before they can allocate bits to other services, regardless of compression system used.

Banned
    Thanks

Some more info has leaked, that said it could be on purpose false info to keep people guessing as to what the future holds.

CH 76 - 7 Home
    Will be a mix of lifestyle content from the Seven library and NBC Universal library, will have movies from there Warner Bros and Fox and other content providers, also other forms of reality TV content that Seven have access to like The Amazing Race ect, plus scripted drama series from again Seven library.

The channel is aimed towards the same market segment that 9Life is and also Gem.

As for Feb 1 ... That is the launch of the Seven (and Nine with Ten going early from January 31 to try to get the jump on the other 2) 2016 TV year.

As for when 7HD will launch (or relaunch technically), the AFL premeirship season launches March 24 2016, so 7HD taking the 7mate slot which will take over from the 7 Digital (SD MPEG2) should be happening around mid March this year.

Once they have everything working the right way Seven will make the switch of all there SD based channels to MPEG4 which will allow them to also have 2 extra SD MPEG4 channels which I have mentioned what they could possibly be based on.

7 Family
    7 World

Prime Media have been also doing there back end work to keep pace with what Seven are doing as 4ME, iShopTV and Racing.Com are all SD MPEG4 and they are ready to make the changes that Seven will make.

Again nothing is confirmed until its confirmed by those in charge.
    Last edited by Escape_from_Oz; 24-01-16 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Added names of potential channel names

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Escape_from_Oz For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (24-01-16),OSIRUS (24-01-16),pheggie (24-01-16),TVguy (24-01-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

Where did you get this information from? I'm sensing a lot of speculation branching from maybe 1 piece of information heard on a grape vine. Did this source actually mention NBC Universal, Fox and WB being specific partners for this new channel, or are you filling in that gap because Seven has an existing deal with these studios? 7HD's launch date is just a guess. Seven switching everything to MPEG-4 is hopeful, but no information suggests this at all. 7 Family and 7 World are guesses as to brands Seven may choose, but we don't even know if they're going to launch more than 1 channel this year or ever in the future. Prime being ready for any changes is an assumption because they do Racing.com and 4ME in MPEG-4 now. Nothing at all suggests they're ready for a network-wide changeover to MPEG-4.

You're right, nothing is confirmed because these ideas are yours or from other media enthusiast's wish lists. The only certain thing we know is a new channel is coming and HD is supposedly (but not definitely) launching at some point before the AFL season. That's it. I like your posts but the line between insider information and guess work always seems too blurry.

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.

Banned

Thanks

If it is inside information Escape_From_OZ be careful about divulging sources as someone might get the sack

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smacca View Post
    7HD's launch date is just a guess.
    You're right, nothing is confirmed because these ideas are yours or from other media enthusiast's wish lists. The only certain thing we know is a new channel is coming and HD is supposedly (but not definitely) launching at some point before the AFL season. That's it. I like your posts but the line between insider information and guess work always seems too blurry.
    It could be speculation or it could be real, either way we all find out soon enough.

The info that is public knowledge is 7HD before AFL season proper kick off date and that Kerry Stokes himself said it will be HD for all consumers not just those with MPEG4 decoders, and that CH76 is 720x576i MPEG4 with HE-AAC variable bitrate.

The other info is PRIME having 3channels all as MPEG4.

The other stuff could be planted leaks of info trying to blur peoples perception or could be real, Its well known that Seven are keen on MPEG4 spec for there multi-channels and by adopting the proposed formats they would easily be able able to fit all the channels on the MHz spectrum, if they follow Nine's lead then they lock themselves into the same path and that path other than 9Life has proven to so far be a fail.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Escape_from_Oz For This Useful Post:

Smacca (26-01-16)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pheggie View Post
    If it is inside information Escape_From_OZ be careful about divulging sources as someone might get the sack
    It does not help when people take entire posts then repost them in other forums

Very Itchy is wrong about the MPEG4 channels being able to be all in HD ... Even in MPEG4 lets say 1280x720p they would not be able to fit everything and if they were to do what they are doing with there online streaming which is 1024x576p you still need 2.5Mbits per channel otherwise you end up with output errors in the stream as you see with the online stream.

At best the multi-channels once everything is set up the right way they will be SD MPEG4 with 7HD MPEG2 1440x1080i they can be variable bit rate to enhance the HD channel. Which is what Nine were doing until recently, if you look at 9HD they are starving it of bit rate while boosting 9SD because of all the complaint's that 9SD was looking like Extra.

Thanks

On the subject of what channel 10 will do, how about the scenario of Foxtel buying Sky News and then making it available as a new channel on one of Ten's channels?

I understand Sky News have an agreement to be on Foxtel until 2017 but Foxtel are using this as leverage to force a sale at their preferred price by saying they'll start their own news channel if Sky News owners won't cooperate with a sale.

At the moment, Sky News is owned by Seven (a third share), Nine Entertainment (a third share) and Sky News UK (third share).

Banned
    Thanks

Seven & Nine wont sell there shares in Sky News Australia.

Foxtel wont have the ability to start there own version of "Fox News" and Ten simply do not have the resources and also Telstra are not in the news business.

• Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast