Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: New Channel coming soon to 7 in Melbourne Dec 2015

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Escape_from_Oz View Post
    The info that is public knowledge is 7HD before AFL season proper kick off date and that Kerry Stokes himself said it will be HD for all consumers not just those with MPEG4 decoders
    7HD before the 2016 AFL season kickoff is nothing more than conjecture. Just like the tennis before that.

And the only words out of Stokes mouth have been as part of the AFL rights deal that starts next year in 2017. And to think that "HD for all" comments means Kerry is promising MPEG-2 HD broadcasts rather than referring to the HD vs SD divide (7Mate vs 7, Foxtel vs 7) is laughable.

Thanks

Seven & Nine wont sell there shares in Sky News Australia.

Foxtel wont have the ability to start there own version of "Fox News" and Ten simply do not have the resources and also Telstra are not in the news business.
    Yes they will. It's just a matter of the price:

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

What ever 7 are doing, they are wasting a lot of opportunity this summer.
    How long have they been broadcasting that "New Channel Coming" crap for now? Just wasting spectrum.

Perth Open
    Brisbane Open
    and now Australian Open all could have used another channel for extra matches or at least a HD version.

I have also noticed picture degradation in the 7 Melbourne channel, it now pixelates like a poor internet stream, much like 7 Mate does when they broadcast the American NFL.
    Noticed it during Sunrise yesterday, pretty poor form considering it was one of their flagship products.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 26-01-16 at 09:52 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieSecGuy View Post
    Yes they will. It's just a matter of the price:
    Its being reported in a News Corp paper ... nuff said ...

Get independent verification from the likes of Fairfax or one of the 3rd party minor groups.

Seven and Nine won't be selling there shares in Sky News and Foxtel would again not be able to launch there own channel against it, they simply do not have the resources, Ten is very limited and Telstra again are not in the news business.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SteveBuscemi View Post
    7HD before the 2016 AFL season kickoff is nothing more than conjecture. Just like the tennis before that.

And the only words out of Stokes mouth have been as part of the AFL rights deal that starts next year in 2017. And to think that "HD for all" comments means Kerry is promising MPEG-2 HD broadcasts rather than referring to the HD vs SD divide (7Mate vs 7, Foxtel vs 7) is laughable.
    Not at all, go back on watch the AFL announcement, Stokes said about the 2015 GF that Seven were working out the technical details to have Seven in VIC, TAS, SA, NT and WA have 7Mate (NSW/QLD/ACT feed) be fed to those states, they did that as the 2015 AFL GF was HD for all viewers via there terrestrial network, note the key word terrestrial. Via VAST or pay TV retransmission that is something they could not offer as they don't control the broadcast transmission aspect of those feeds, Prime and the Southern Cross 7 (Spencer Gulf and Broken Hill and Central) and also WIN (where WIN is the supplementary broadcaster for 7 and 10 in regions like MIA Griffifh and Mildura)

He also said that the 2016 season that Seven would go all HD for all viewers via there network, note "HD for all viewers", now also factor in that Malcolm while he was Communications Minister approved the changes to terrestrial broadcast from January 1 2016 the primary channel can now be in HD format, remember Nine jumped early for the Day Night Cricket Test match in November and are now stuck with a HD channel that only to be fair 50% of the metro population can view so even though they are no longer required to broadcast primary in full time SD they have to because they would be in so much crap with advertisers and the general public bashing them as they don't have the MPEG4 equipment to view the primary channel.

Look at Nine for a moment:
    9 SD (MPEG2 primary)
    9 HD (MPEG4 simulcast)
    Go SD (MPEG2 multi-channel)
    Gem SD (MPEG2 multi channel)
    9Life SD (MPEG2 multi-channel)
    Extra SD (MPEG2 multi-channel)

They are stuck with that line up for at least next 2 years.

Seven then throws a monkey wrench into the mix with the "CH 76" coming soon and making it SD MPEG4, most were saying its 7HD, NOPE.
    Seven also have the following MPEG4 SD channels, 4ME (supplied by Prime to Seven), Racing.Com (which the VRC pay Seven (and Prime) for air-time and now CH 76.

So for Seven to make Seven HD a primary channel and be viewed by all (including Prime and as explained above by the other regional broadcasters) via Terrestrial Broadcast Networks the simple and most effective way is for
    7Mate to revert back to MPEG2 SD (as Nine did with Gem) and for Seven to take over the MPEG2 HD slot and they can then stop 7SD as it won't be needed as over 98% of the population have access to MPEG2 HD equipment, this then sets up Seven with the following line up

7 HD (MPEG2 primary)
    7TWO SD (MPEG2 multi-channel)
    7Mate SD (MPEG2 multi-channel)
    CH 76 SD (MPEG4 multi-channel - at this stage the leaked info suggests a lifestyle / movie channel geared for female viewers like 9Life is)
    4ME SD (MPEG4 multi-channel supplied by Prime)
    Racing.Com SD (MPEG4)

That would be the limit of bandwidth if they keep 7mate and 7two as MPEG2, but as most of you will say hang on Nine offers more just remember that 9HD is MPEG4 and 7HD would be continued as MPEG2 so the extra 3 to 4Mbits needed for for 7HD means they cant offer any more SD channels in MPEG2 where as Nine offer 9SD (which Nine recently gave more bandwidth too as many people were complaining that it started looking like Extra because Nine was giving more bitrate to 9HD, they have now turned down 9HD bit rate and given 9SD more to make it look bette) and 9Life (which is at the limit of low end bitrate specs)

If Seven were to switch 7TWO and 7MATE to SD MPEG4 they would be then able to fit the other 2 SD MPEG4 channel I mentioned (7World and 7Family), it will be tight but h264 MPEG4 in SD resolution be be fine if the they use 2Mbits for each channel.
    Last edited by Escape_from_Oz; 26-01-16 at 10:38 AM.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    What ever 7 are doing, they are wasting a lot of opportunity this summer.
    How long have they been broadcasting that "New Channel Coming" crap for now? Just wasting spectrum.

Perth Open
    Brisbane Open
    and now Australian Open all could have used another channel for extra matches or at least a HD version.

I have also noticed picture degradation in the 7 Melbourne channel, it now pixelates like a poor internet stream, much like 7 Mate does when they broadcast the American NFL.
    Noticed it during Sunrise yesterday, pretty poor form considering it was one of their flagship products.
    between 96kbps to 112kbps for audio using HE-AAC variable bit rate & on the video side its 720x576i h264 (MPEG4) around 1.5Mbits.
    Which explains why 7mate has lost its sharp viewing, as for Seven primary channel being starved of bit rate, up here in Sydney its been fine, but last week when I was down SOuth Coast NSW viewing via Prime7 it was pretty bad but that could of been due to a very old MPEG2 SD Digitech (and wow was that a trip at having no 7Mate, GEM, ONE, ABC News 24, SBS HD and none of the MPEG4 channels from Prime (4ME and Racing.Com), it felt like old school analogue back in the day) STU feeding a CRT analogue TV via RF on VHF channel 1 via an indoor antenna that was at best only giving 30% signal quality, all that STU provided was ABC, Prime, WIN, SC10, 11, TVSN, ABC2, ABC3, SBS, SBS2, FOOD, NITV, 7TWO, GO, Gold and Extra.

I know what your saying but look at from Seven view point:
    - They are in a no ratings period, they sold advertising packages based on SD/HD sports (mainly Tennis but also golf and there US sports namely NFL) and movies and are in a holding pattern for general entertainment till Feb 1
    This is typical Seven, always late to the party but first to make changes once they get to that party.

Ten did the same thing with BBL but no one is complaining that BBL was not live on ONE (well into the Eastern States).

Someone just messaged me and said 76 could potentially be "&$# @#$&"

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

You show me any business or organisation that has more than a dozen employee's and you get Gossip, Speculation and Rumor.
    Add more employee's and that increases the level exponentially.
    Business buy and sell each other out as they see fit based on the possibility of 'Making a Buck' !!

As for Telstra 'Not being in the News Business', it wont be the first time a Business has bought into another in a completely different field to what was considered their 'Core Industry'.
    Not that I could see Telstra doing that as I think they have enough hassles handling what is their 'Core Business' now, communications !!
    The problem with many of the stories about who is or will be doing what comes from Journalists who only half hear and even less understand some of the information they report.

The other part is that the information really only applies to the Metro Channels and not the Regionals because being 'Stand alone enterties' dont have to follow the 'Majors' unless there is some contractual requirement between them to do so.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 26-01-16 at 12:08 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Banned
    Thanks

Just remember Telstra got out of news channel with the stopped the white lable version of Bigpond News which was made for them by Sky News Australia.

Telstra still have Sports Fan House channel but even that is slowly being dropped just like T-Box is ending and Telstra is pushing Telstra TV and the streaming services instead of which they get a cut from to deliver the content to customers via there hardware platform. So again Telstra are not in the business to he in news or sports content ownership, unlike Optus which has to in order to sell mobile subs.

Every business has codes they work by, having worked for Big T in the past I know that they only think it's them and no other mobile provider and with good reason they have the best possible network on offer, having been an Optus customer I know that I can push there retention staff hard to get a better deal and I have on mobile and broadband cable, having been a new car salesperson (years ago for Holden dealership back in the good ol days of the VT Commodore which were easy to sell) it was easy to get the customer pay or accept the trade in price because the Commodores were selling like hotcakes back then (not so much today) ... What it comes down to is knowing the product and what each customer is willing accept.

In the Nine case they jumped early, its backfired on them, Seven have waited (as they always do) but will make the correct changes when it's time (as they have always done) and Ten sadly is inna major holding pattern while Foxtel tries to buy out the rest of the ownership group which is a diverse group of Packer Jnr, Murdoch Jnr, Gordon ((WIN)), Rineheart and now Foxtel + all the other major and minor shareholders, that takes time to work out but at the moment 10 is a dead duck.

Banned
    Thanks

Some more info, launch date is Feb 14 which is a Sunday this year at 7:00pm

So that should again tell people what type of content this channel will have and who its geared towards in the market place.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Escape_from_Oz For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (28-01-16),pheggie (27-01-16)

Premium Member

Thanks

Some more info, launch date is Feb 14 which is a Sunday this year at 7:00pm

So that should again tell people what type of content this channel will have and who its geared towards in the market place.
    Sorry, but I am so confused with all the comings, goings and speculations, just what is supposed to happen on that date?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Banned
    Thanks

Its how you interpret the info.

Premium Member

Thanks

Its how you interpret the info.
    Not exactly the answer I was expecting so rather than asking again, I will simply wait until that date and let what ever happens apart from the Sunrise, come as a BIG surprise.............like the Chorus Girl said when she saw the tenting of the Bishop's surplice.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

The cryptic clue is... what is typically celebrated on 14 Feb?

And no, it's not the change to decimal currency in 1966.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (28-01-16)

Premium Member

Thanks

February 14th? isnt that another Yank moronic excuse to waste money buying gifts, this time its Chocolates, Greeting Cards and Long Stem Roses at exorbitant prices??

March the 17th or April the 1st would be more appropriate dates to me.

Its bad enough having Hot Cross Buns for sale in stores the week following New Years Day as it is.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    February 14th? isnt that another Yank moronic excuse to waste money buying gifts, this time its Chocolates, Greeting Cards and Long Stem Roses at exorbitant prices??
    That would be the one.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,871 Times in 886 Posts

ols on DTVforum

says
    "They have advertised it" (76?) "on 7Two I believe
    Family channel"

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pheggie For This Useful Post:

mtv (28-01-16),OSIRUS (28-01-16)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pheggie View Post
    ols on DTVforum

says
    Family channel"
    Ha! so they changed there plans did they?

7Family

Let's rules out what is it could be:
    Sky News Australia
    7Documentaries
    7Nine
    7One
    7MTV
    7NBC

Just rule all those out will you all please rule them out.

Seven have seen the success of 9Life in generation of as money from the most valuable segment, female 25 to 59 ... That is too good a market segment to let NEC to have to themselves in the FTA market, the problem is evening content so to supplement that you program older movies like romcom's and sensitive movies I.e. the opposition of MATE, NEC could not do that.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Escape_from_Oz For This Useful Post:

pheggie (28-01-16)

Banned

Thanks

ols on DTVforum

says
    Family channel"
    7 have been promoting FTA TV ads for Plus7 on the internet like 7 Kids what ols has seen might possibly have been a plus7 promo ad

Banned
    Thanks

7 have been promoting FTA TV ads for Plus7 on the internet like 7 Kids what ols has seen might possibly have been a plus7 promo ad
    If its been changed to 7Kids/Family then the bait and switch effect worked

The membership is correct and carried by all who have equipment that can allow viewing.

On the PLUS side if you know how to view then you will see the system is up and running to iron out the bugs.

Seven are on the right track, Ten not so much.

Banned

Thanks

Noticed Seven don't have any catchup on Plus7 for Disney shows maybe they don't have internet rights.

• Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast