Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: New Channel coming soon to 7 in Melbourne Dec 2015

Banned
    Thanks

Thanks for stepping in, clearly those who work for Seven don't want it to be known.

I always put a disclaimer that until it's made official nothing is official, someone has failed to comprehend what that means.

The same thing was said about 7flix and how they were going to do it, well they did it the way that it was done but with a different name at the absolute last second that they could possibly do it within the there allocated time frame.

One needs to look at how GSM is different to WCDMA which again is different to LTE ... The same applies to h.262 MPEG2 to h.263 MPEG4 and h.264 MPEG4 and now h.265, if you use different decoders which are more efficient then power consumption is reduced, the technical side of there ops at Docklands (which is where they do head end transmission) has already shown different levels when they load balance the networks.

Thanks

Well it looks like 4ME has ceased broadcasting, with 7 airing a placeholder graphic informing viewers that the channel is unavailable. The wording is very vague though. Odd that it happened mid week.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Yeah, i noticed that about TV4ME yesterday.
    Was going to ask here.... Thanks datalore
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks

I have information that 7 may be taking over 4ME, and it may return to both Metro and regional, possibly within days. Will wait and see.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Because its one of these 'Infomercial' channels, I'll bet they'll put more effort into getting it back on air than most other types of programming.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

You could be right. It does have a broad cross section of programming, not just the infomercial and shopping segments like the other "shopping" channels.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Can still watch it here

When the stream is running
    Last edited by ol' boy; 20-05-16 at 12:44 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks

UPDATE: heard that the deal with 7 fell through. Oh well...

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by datalore777 View Post
    UPDATE: heard that the deal with 7 fell through. Oh well...
    Doesnt mean it still wont happen unless there was never any intent on either side to complete the deal.

This could be a ploy by either side to get a better deal, to be able to say 'We tried honest we did', or 'Lets do Lunch (later) and charge it as a Tax deduction'....................
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Banned
    Thanks

Not gonna happen, that said I'm surprised that Seven pulled it as many said to various people that they were paid up till the end of the month.

• 20-05-16, 09:19 PM

Reason
    Troll - banned

Thanks

As an update, 74 no longer exists in the multiplex.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

Australian DVB-T broadcasting remains mired in the past. The evacuation of 74ME has given the backward looking folk at Seven the opportunity to regress to MPEG2.
    Progress, who cares when there may be an extra pair of eyes cast upon programs from thirty years ago via an STB viewed on a CRT TV. Another chance to sell funeral plans.
    Broadcast TV in this country is moribund. I shall dance on its clay-footed grave!

"The Seven Network has this morning changed 7flix from MPEG4 video with HEAACv2 audio to MPEG2 video with MPEG1 layer 2 audio.

The recent closure of TV4ME has released bitrate which has enabled this change to be implemented without degrading video or audio quality.

Some receivers may need to be changed to another channel and back to restore the 7flix service. A few may need to be re-scanned.

The horror, the horror!

"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

• The Following User Says Thank You to TVguy For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (04-06-16)

Premium Member

Thanks

So maybe living in the 'Boonies' may have been an advantage as some off the Wondrously Glorious, Fantasmagorical changes never made it futher than the drip line of the transmitter shed roof.
    LCN64 is still part of the line here showing IshopTV in tandem with LCN65.
    You know your getting an absolute bargain when they show the same unsalable rubbish twice!!!

Yesterday morning I spoke to one of the few local Servicemen for the first time since MPEG4 was introduced and I asked how well had the changeover to MPEG4 been received and he said it didnt go over well at all and he wished he had a means to do a simple adjustment available to convert Tuners to receive MPEG4 because he would have made heaps from doing so.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 04-06-16 at 12:40 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TVguy View Post
    The horror, the horror!
    Horror it may be, but it does nicely demonstrate what I've said many a times, even if certain people haven't liked me saying it. If they think it'll reduce the potential audience count the commercial broadcasters won't do it.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpankedHam View Post
    Horror it may be, but it does nicely demonstrate what I've said many a times, even if certain people haven't liked me saying it. If they think it'll reduce the potential audience count the commercial broadcasters won't do it.
    I made mention of this fact in another .
    When I queried an industry insider at a "Free TV Australia" function about the appalling inertia in broadcasting, he quite frankly pointed out that the loss of a single viewer matters to advertisers.
    So we will be left with the worst quality DVB-T broadcasting in the world for many years to come.
    Thankfully I don't watch anything on FTA TV. I have fond memories of "I dream of Jeanie" and "Bewitched", but I don't need to see these shows on TV in 2016.
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

Premium Member

Thanks

There is no doubt the Broadcasters do put some faith in the Viewer Polls (Politicians do the same) or they wouldnt pay a company to run them, the same applies to letters sent in the Channel but they also follow their own thoughts on a shows popularity and rely on the 'Ratings' to prove them right or wrong.

There is also the attitude that people WILL watch just about anything including a well presented Test Pattern so they will 'run' with something even if it doesnt appear popular hoping no doubt it will 'grow' on the audience as its happened before.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    There is also the attitude that people WILL watch just about anything including a well presented Test Pattern...
    I would watch the test card all day at work, but sadly Gordon, "Test Card G" disappeared from our screens long ago.
    Back in the late 1980s and early 1990s SBS would broadcast "Test Card G" during the day which was a huge benefit for those in the TV/VCR repair business.
    Everything you could ever want is embedded in the Philips PM5544 pattern.
    When they stopped broadcasting the test card and began using a rolling weather radar image, I rang them up to request the return of the Test Card.
    They unceremoniously dismissed me as an annoying fool and said that it would never return. It did not.

Last edited by TVguy; 05-06-16 at 09:06 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to TVguy For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (05-06-16)

• Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112