Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do any mobile broadband (3G) providers offer a PUBLIC IP and port access?

Thanks

Default Do any mobile broadband (3G) providers offer a PUBLIC IP and port access?

There has been previous discussion about this topic, but I'm just wondering if there are any mobile broadband 3G/4G SIM providers that currently offer a PUBLIC IP address and access to ports straight out of the box (not a NAT'ed IP) that will make connecting to some cameras and gear remotely etc soooooooo much easier!!!

It looks like EXETEL are no longer providing a public IP?

Have only tried a Telstra SIM at present, and it gives me a NAT'ed 10.x.x.x address and NO access to ports from the outside world.

Anyone know of such a beast?

I'm assuming that it would be more likely to be a post-paid offer?

It is for a business application, so if it is a business only solution, that's OK.

Cheers for any help or advice you can offer........
    Last edited by knight2001dts; 23-12-15 at 03:06 AM.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Further to the above - can anyone confirm if the OPTUS BUSINESS postpaid SIM's (using the apn YESBUSINESS) give a public IP address?

They have 4gb for about $30/month and if it works, that would do nicely!

Thank you!

Thanks

weve had to do this before for a remote camera job. let me chase up the details

Thanks

Telstra Business mobile data allows for it, but by default only the telstra.internet APN is configured. IIRC a quick call to billing to get the codes that allow access to telstra.extranet added to the service, and then setting up that APN in the device itself and you have a public IP address. You can then NAT etc.

If two Telstra mobile data services (business or retail) are terminated on the same equipment, where ever that may be, the traffic is never NATted to the outside world. One device can directly access the private IP assigned to the second, so it can be treated as if it were a public address and inbound port mapping in the router works. I've done this at a few places now.

• The Following User Says Thank You to SpankedHam For This Useful Post:

xapi (03-09-17)

Thanks

@ thestreetsweeper - thank you! I'd be interested to see what you came up with - it looks like BIGPOND might be an option.....and possibly the OPTUS Business post paid....

@ SpankedHam - thank you! WOW..two routers running a prepaid card talking to each other is a brilliant idea! I'll have to try it just to satisfy my curiosity I have my mate (it's for his solution) chasing up the .extranet solution with Telstra at present to see how that pans out - it's a real pain right around Christmas as many places are shutdown or running skeleton staff.....thanks for the heads up!

....anyone else have an OPTUS BUSINESS sim that they can confirm/rule out the public IP??

CHEERS!

Thanks

UPDATE:

Telstra business either no longer or now will not offer the .extranet APN and public IP to standard Telstra business customers - only to Corporate customers with 20+ accounts....unfortunate, but true.

BIGPOND - can anyone please confirm this service on 3G still includes a public IP address, and not a private NAT'ed one?

CHEERS!
    Last edited by knight2001dts; 30-12-15 at 09:08 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks

In Feb 2015 I got a public IP on an Optus Business plan but only on the 3G network. As soon as it hit the 4G network it turned into a Nat'd IP. So you can definitely get a public IP on Optus Business.

Bigpond don't do public IP's at all.

With Telstra, it all depends who you talk to. You can ring 20 times and get 20 different answers. If you get the right person just ask for the code GPTEXB3 to be added. It costs $10 extra/month and you'll get a public IP.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by knight2001dts
    ....and I am using HIKvision cameras, so I need to be able to get to the ports.

CHEERS!
    Happy New Year!

Apologies for the late reply, I don't often check this site. My experience has been that Telstra (whilst reluctant to) will provide extranet APNs, but now charge a premium. This may have changed recently, which would be a tad annoying.

I know Vodafone will provide you with a dynamic (but still public) IP address if you request it when signing up.

The only other option is a VPN capable router, and a server to host your VPN.

I have actually toyed with the idea of offering a service which solves exactly this problem by using a little arduino-like device on-site (or a VPN capable router) to make an outbound connection to an AWS compute node and you just need to point your client devices at the AWS public IP address. But bandwidth costs for proxying video are probably prohibitive. Do you think there'd be a market for such a service? If so, what do you think the acceptable price point would be?

I'm honestly surprised that the manufacturers haven't already done something like this.
    Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who actually do

• The Following User Says Thank You to caffiend For This Useful Post:

xapi (03-09-17)

Thanks

Thanks for the replies!

Have been away for a few days - Happy New Year to all.

Bummer about the Telstra Bigpond having no public IP's I would hate to have to ring up 20 times to "maybe" get a service that offers what I am after - especially if I need to do it more than once.

For metro, this would not be such a big deal as Optus and Telstra are very available, but rural - not so much....and Voda - even less!

Caffiend, would love to talk more about your idea - have emptied my mailbox now

Thanks for the input, and if anyone else knows of a service/provider that makes the Telstra thing easier, I'm all ears!

CHEERS
    Last edited by knight2001dts; 05-01-16 at 01:31 PM.

Thanks

That's a solution but I'm pretty sure they won't sell direct.

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by caffiend View Post
    The only other option is a VPN capable router, and a server to host your VPN.
    I know this is an old thread but I recently required this exact set up and so I worked with someone to write up a step by step tutorial.

It's based on an LTE router that I import but should work on any OpenWRT router. You can choose to either host your own server or setup a free AWS account. I tried both and they work just as well as each other.

If there's still any interest I'll make it forum compatible and post it up.

• The Following User Says Thank You to warbo For This Useful Post:

xapi (03-09-17)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

I think it would be worthwhile, as mobile internet becomes more popular as a NBN solution for many.
    Been using 3G for over 8 years now as my only form of internet, cant complain and its only getting faster.

I'd HATE to be on a fixed line solution, internet in only one location, what a backward ass idea that is
    Last edited by ol' boy; 02-09-17 at 10:05 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    I think it would be worthwhile, as mobile internet becomes more popular as a NBN solution for many.
    Been using 3G for over 8 years now as my only form of internet, cant complain and its only getting faster.

I'd HATE to be on a fixed line solution, internet in only one location, what a backward ass idea that is
    Agreed. But at least here in Australia data is very expensive on these plans, and there are no unlimited options. I think this will change once the NBN becomes the only fixed option. If they don't get their act together on wholesale pricing and reasonable performance I can see Telstra and others actually starting to seriously compete with the NBN and each other by way of wireless plans. Unfortunately there seems to be little competition in wireless data plans at the moment.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DB44 View Post
    there are no unlimited options
    Incorrect
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

xapi (03-09-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

Incorrect
    Thanks. Glad to be corrected. I assume we are talking data sims suitable for use in supported routers and not purely phones? I'd appreciate it if you could post or PM links or details.
    Last edited by DB44; 02-09-17 at 05:19 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

PM sent, as requested

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

DB44 (02-09-17),xapi (03-09-17)

Premium Member

Thanks

PM sent, as requested
    Why not post it here oceanboy?

I agree, 4G data quota's will go up and prices will come down dramatically in the near future. Optus have a $70/month for 140GB deal going at the moment which is eating NBN satellite deals and I think will eventually equal NBN fixed wireless offers.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by warbo View Post
    Why not post it here oceanboy?
    I know this is an old thread but I recently required this exact set up and so I worked with someone to write up a step by step tutorial

This.

Thanks

It's based on an LTE router that I import but should work on any OpenWRT router. You can choose to either host your own server or setup a free AWS account. I tried both and they work just as well as each other.

If you can do it warbo it will be fabulous.
    We have implemented Cloud based service to get data via cellular network. We also looked at the modem with customised firmware but it seems too troublesome.

Thanks

I know this is an old thread but I recently required this exact set up and so I worked with someone to write up a step by step tutorial.

Can you PM me the details please?

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast