Thread: Trina solar panels manufacturing fault

Thanks

Default Trina solar panels manufacturing fault

Is anyone else having problems with their 3 year old Trina panels?

I have a 5 kW system with an Aurora inverter - I initially had 3 kW installed and then had another 2 kW added later. In early November I checked the inverter one morning and noticed an error message Low Riso on the display. I contacted my installer who advised me that this was a known issue and gave me a number for Trina Solar. Now I know that I should have insisted that they contact them, after all I bought the panels from them, not Trina. Anyway after much tooing and froing with Trina, in early December the panels were finally inspected but I am yet to receive any results - last contact with Trina was 14/12/15.

The panels are now working (32 kWh the other day), albeit with a low resistance, anywhere from 1.5 to 8 M Ohms (pretty sure it should be up to 20 M Ohms), although they have stopped again now, but I think that this is due to recent rains - as the panels dry out the resistance rises and the inverter will connect. Now I realise that it is Christmas and most likely most places have shutdown but I wonder whether I am being too patient - I don't want to push too hard as my contact at Trina mentioned that they may be replacing all panels rather than just the ones that they find as faulty - this is really the solution I want, I'd hate to have to go through this again in a couple of years time.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Trina were the ants pants that all the solar guys were pushing a few years ago. Have you had a good look at the panels for corrosion ?
    I dont know if these are of interest, but I thought I would post them just in case you had not come across them.

(some bagging of trina quality control)
    (conversation in regards to cheap parellel import trinas that were flooding the market)

Unfortunately Christmas and the proceeding 4 weeks are a nightmare to get an trade related work done by anyone.

Thanks

Thanks, I have seen most of the WP posts - funnily enough their reputation was why I paid extra for them, hmmm. I'll just be patient for a while longer I suppose.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mi_tasol View Post
    Thanks, I have seen most of the WP posts - funnily enough their reputation was why I paid extra for them, hmmm. I'll just be patient for a while longer I suppose.
    Reputation is quite hilarious really when you read some of the Whirlpool stuff. The main core group of installers there will promote a handfull of product names and bag the rest as garbage. Trina was once the "ducks guts" according to them, now you are more likely to read them bagging them than saying anything nice.

Personally I think they are as good a panel as any another panel in the recognised "decent" range. Unfortunately every brand has a failure rate and someone has to be unlucky. Ultimately its how they handle the problem that matters.

Thanks

Yes I question the "neutrality" of WP sometimes. Anyway, we will see how it pans out over the next month.