are there any software programs available to be able to use a laptop as either an analog but preferably digital Field Strength Meter?
I have asked a local installer twice to do a survey around my 1/2 acre block to see if there is a good spot to place a suitable antenna but they dont want to come around here as the reception here is crap.
They will come in droves if I say I want whatever satelitte service they have the franchise for.
Trying to do it with a mast/antenna/power supply/digital TV on your own is now beyond me. I 'BIN der and DUN dat' years ago erecting an 80 foot mast with a dual phased array in a pine tree for reception but digital aint a case of 'Place and Point'.
I dont want all the bells and whistles spectrum analysers as I couldnt read it anyway.
All I want is something like the Sat finder with a scale and 'squealer' to just show best direction.
As you can now buy digital dongles (whatever you call them), plug it into the laptop, pick a frequency and watch the scale.
I took an SD box to a friends in the town where the translator is and set it up there but the scale on it leave a lot to be desired.
Any thoughts???