Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Netflix to block proxies and unblocking services

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 3,031 Times in 777 Posts

There's nothing illegal about "Streaming" in the states!

Torrent d/ling yes but not streaming!

There isn't ANYTHING you cant find with an M8 type device. (Including the LATEST episode of ANY TV show now or from 50 years ago!)

Thanks

Getflix dnss no longer working

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fred121 View Post
    Getflix dnss no longer working
    Getflix is working fine for me with US Netflix

• The Following User Says Thank You to mandc For This Useful Post:

fred121 (24-01-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cmangle View Post
    There's nothing illegal about "Streaming" in the states!

Torrent d/ling yes but not streaming!

There isn't ANYTHING you cant find with an M8 type device. (Including the LATEST episode of ANY TV show now or from 50 years ago!)
    I agree that the variety on the M8 etc. is incredible. Our intellectual property legislation is broken, and yours is even worse. To the extent that this legislation is treated with contempt by many and ignored. But please don't bury your head in the sand and pretend that because you stream something rather than download it all copyright issues magically disappear. The plugins you use are ultimately accessing links to unauthorised copies on various file hosting sites. Some plugins even stream torrents. Even worse, some not only stream torrents but seed them from your M8. I'm not telling you to stop. I enjoy your posts and I dislike what our Copyright legislation has become. I particularly deplore the DMCA and the efforts by the US government to spread this cancer worldwide. I'm not sure that "civil disobedience" is not the appropriate answer. After all, Gandhi did it with salt.

Just please don't pretend to yourself that if the Copyright trolls come after your house you can defend yourself by saying "there's nothing illegal about streaming in the states".

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

cmangle (24-01-16),jonc (24-01-16),OSIRUS (23-01-16)

Thanks

Re Getflix the us option has gone from the app now

Thanks

I don't use the app but see Getflix have 4 US options via web interface. Follow their work re recent Netflix fixes on fb

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to th37sk For This Useful Post:

fred121 (24-01-16),OSIRUS (24-01-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

My iphone Getflix app has U1, U2, U3, U4 instead of USA now and I am on U2

• The Following User Says Thank You to mandc For This Useful Post:

fred121 (24-01-16)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 3,031 Times in 777 Posts

DB44 said "Just please don't pretend to yourself that if the Copyright trolls come after your house you can defend yourself by saying "there's nothing illegal about streaming in the states".

I don't seem to be as well versed on the good/bad or legal/illegal status as youDB44, But "STREAMING" devices have been being sold in the US for quite some time, (10 yrs plus? the Roku?) and EVERYONE is jumping on the bandwagon!

Roku, Amazon Fire, AppleTV, Google Nexus Player, Google CromeStick, Amazon Firestick,Various Video games consoles (i.e. PS4),Boxee, Samsung!

Western Digital TV
    Asus O!Play
    Iomega ScreenPlay
    Netgear NeoTV
    simple.tv
    VIZIO CO-STAR
    LG SMART TV Upgrader
    Samsung Smart Hub
    Playstation 3
    Xbox 360
    Nintendo Wii
    NBOX Player
    D-Link Movie Night
    SlingPlayer
    Sony SMP
    TIVO Stream

Seems to me that ALL of these product providers would not be breaking a DCMA law if it were applicable to streaming!!

But I could be wrong here . . .

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 958 Posts

I think there is nothing wrong with a streaming Player that plays legitimate content .... i.e. has the Netflix app, Hulu app, Vudu app, Itunes app ...etc .... & they are legal services in that country ..... (US in this case)
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

• The Following User Says Thank You to OSIRUS For This Useful Post:

DB44 (24-01-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OSIRUS View Post
    I think there is nothing wrong with a streaming Player that plays legitimate content .... i.e. has the Netflix app, Hulu app, Vudu app, Itunes app ...etc .... & they are legal services in that country ..... (US in this case)
    Says it all! Netflix pays "someone" for their content. Subscribers pay Netflix to stream their content.

As long as it is paid for then everyone is happy. So cmangle is 100% correct in EDIT: USA case.
    If Australia is a democracy why, then, is voting compulsory?

"What has changed between the arrival of the First Fleet and today?"
    "Wearing leg irons is now not required."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Guiseppe For This Useful Post:

DB44 (24-01-16)

Thanks

@cmangle. OSIRUS and Guiseppe nailed it. There are many services streaming legal content. And there is no problem with watching legal content on your M8 with an appropriate plugin. But the legal content available is dwarfed by the pirate content. This is one reason the Kodi project limits itself to developing only its media centre. The various plugins providing the bulk of the content are developed by 3rd parties and the project is understandably careful to keep its distance.

Personally I think the large corporate rights-holders are receiving their just reward for their greed, though I cannot of course be seen to condone piracy. We need a rational, balanced system of intellectual property worldwide but I'm not holding my breath.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (25-01-16),OSIRUS (24-01-16)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cmangle View Post
    DB44 said "Just please don't pretend to yourself that if the Copyright trolls come after your house you can defend yourself by saying "there's nothing illegal about streaming in the states".

I don't seem to be as well versed on the good/bad or legal/illegal status as youDB44, But "STREAMING" devices have been being sold in the US for quite some time, (10 yrs plus? the Roku?) and EVERYONE is jumping on the bandwagon!
    As mentioned, you are referring to legal streaming, ie, paying for a service. They were refering to illegal streaming, almost everything on Kodi/XBMC is illegal.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (28-01-16)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

An interesting article from the Australian (pasted due to paywall). It would seem that Netflix has and is making attempts at blocking.

Blocking wars: Netflix strikes back in battle over catalogue access

The war that is raging over our access to Netflix content not licensed to this country has enormous implications. It has the potential to disrupt and destroy the businesses of smaller movie streaming services. It also could destroy any hope of film studios negotiating lucrative movie rights region by region.

Netflix launched in Australia less than 12 months ago, in March last year. And its growth since has been phenomenal. By August it was in 8 per cent of Australian homes, reaching 1.89 million locally, according to Roy Morgan research. By December it was being watched by 2.73 million Australians, equivalent to 13.9 per cent of those aged 14 or over.

But not everyone is happy about the smaller catalogue of movies and TV shows available to Australian Netflix users compared with US subscribers. At launch, it was estimated Netflix Australia had one-sixth the content of Netflix USA. Netflix simply did not have the rights to most of its US collection in the Australian market.

It’s therefore not surprising that many Australian Netflix users want to access the US Netflix catalogue. This need is nothing new because before Netflix launched in Australia, 340,000 Australians already had been accessing Netflix US content. Under pressure to act, Netflix placed some roadblocks to stop you doing this. You couldn’t sign up with an Australian credit card, and the address of your devices accessing Netflix, known as the IP address, had to originate from the US.

Netflix devised these restrictions to appease movie houses and other streaming services that were livid that Netflix otherwise would offer content it did not own to millions outside the US.

But these roadblocks were easily overcome. First, you could buy a Netflix gift card and use it to join the US service without having to declare your Australian credit card.

Secondly, a series of “unblocker services” sprang up online. Some were free. Some would charge up to $5 a month. They offered your internet TV, tablets or phones an internet tunnel into the US that tricked Netflix into thinking you were a genuine US customer. Some such as unblock-us.com had a drop-down menu that let you select which country’s Netflix catalogue you wanted to access.

Netflix didn’t try hard to close the unblocking services. Why go out of your way to anger your customers? The unblockers, meanwhile, were making a small fortune. They offered clear how-to configuration guides that even the less tech savvy among us could follow. Unblocking your Netflix access to US content turned into a global pursuit.

From time to time, Netflix would threaten to crack down on the unblockers, but its efforts seemed half-hearted. That was until this month. At the CES consumer technology show in Las Vegas, Netflix chief executive Reed Hastings announced the service was going global: Netflix would be available in 190 countries. This announcement no doubt sent shivers down the spines of streaming services in countries new to the service.

It also had the potential to enrage the movie studios negotiating sales of its content in each country and geographic region. If everyone could flock to Netflix USA, who would buy the rights in other countries to content owned by Netflix in the US?

Netflix gave the impression of fire in its nostrils. In a blogpost, vice-president of content delivery architecture David Fullagar said the streaming service would move to nullify the unblocking services, thereby restricting viewers to the Netflix content available in their countries.

“Some members use proxies or ‘unblockers’ to access titles available outside their territory,” Fullagar wrote. “In coming weeks, those using proxies and unblockers will only be able to access the service in the country where they currently are. We are confident this change won’t impact members not using proxies.”

Netflix had declared war on the unblocking services and would negate those services’ ability to hide their customers’ non-US identities. Their true locations would be unmasked. By last week, the stage was set for a technology-based war between Netflix and the unblocker services.

On Thursday, some Australian and New Zealand customers — the first to be targeted — seemed to be out of luck. When they tried accessing Netflix, they received notifications that they had to remove their unblocking service, or VPN, which stands for virtual private network. Otherwise there would be no movie access.

Being technically savvy folk, the unblocking services decided to take Netflix on. By the weekend, Melbourne-based unblocking service uFlix.com.au was saying it had put “a fix” in place to negate Netflix’s attempts. If you were a uFlix customer, you were back in business with US content. Earlier this week, uFlix managing director Peter Dujan said the fix was still working. Round one to the unblockers.

It is still early days. When I spoke to the unblockers, they detailed other technical ways that Netflix could enforce its geo-blocking edict. But services such as uFlix believe they have Netflix on the ropes. “Unless some sort of technology comes out that no one’s ever heard of before, pretty much anything implemented can be bypassed. As long as what we’re doing remains legal, there’s no issue,’’ Dujan tells The Australian.

The Toronto-based co-founder of TVUnblock.com, Dave Brown, says he is confident about winning the tech battle against Netflix. Unblock-us.com thinks likewise. This week Mr Brown said Netflix had also started targeting users in some countries in Europe, and the UK in particular, with their notifications.

“I would expect for Canada to follow suit in the coming week or two.,” he said.

It will be fascinating to see what technical measures Netflix introduces and how the unblockers counter them in this complex technical war. If Netflix wins, infuriated consumers may buck the system again rather than sign up with multiple movie streaming services. They might return to using pirated sites and torrents to download the movies and TV shows they want to watch.

If the unblockers win, that means the #regionally based copyright system is effectively unenforceable. Netflix would be con#ceding it cannot technically enforce regional restrictions. A broken #regional system for negotiating copyright would be a disaster for movie houses, which would lose the revenue, and single-country-based streaming services competing against the monolith.

As a result, studios would have to move to negotiating global rights rather than multiple country-by-country rights. The other option is for single-country services to form global alliances with like-minded services in other countries. They could bid collectively for movies and share a common catalogue.

Joint bidding and alliances are already happening. The Wall Street Journal reports that in France, TV stations are getting #together to outbid Netflix for top programs. Viaplay in Denmark had reportedly been in talks with Australia’s Stan while Lightbox in New Zealand has held talks with Netflix US rival Hulu.

Many also want to see a revamped globalised copyright system that understands there are no international boundaries in the modern online world.

With so much money and revenue at stake, and with audience disenchantment a risk, it’s likely the face of movie streaming will change. It’s another example of how technology disrupts industries, for better or for worse.

• The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

cmangle (29-01-16),efab (28-01-16),FTTP (28-01-16),mrfish (29-01-16),OSIRUS (28-01-16),th37sk (29-01-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

My Netflix went down last night, using unblock.us. ...

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Thanks

still working for me with uno

Premium Member
    Thanks

All good. Updated dns addresses and hard reset router.......

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Premium Member

Thanks

Last edited by pete123; 01-03-16 at 11:11 AM.

Thanks

My Getflix finally fell over for the first time, this weekend (US Netflix)

Via Getflix social media, was prescribed the following routing tables (routed to local LAN/dead IP) + selection of US-TEST region to fix:
    IP : 23.246.0.0
    Subnet : 255.255.0.0

IP : 45.57.0.0

IP : 108.175.0.0

IP : 185.2.0.0

IP : 198.38.0.0

IP : 198.45.0.0

IP : 8.8.8.8
    Subnet : 255.255.255.255

IP : 8.8.4.4
    Subnet : 255.255.255.255

Many of you will already be using 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 blocks, etc.

Working well again with the above blocks in place. Don't forget to power cycle your router and device before testing. Cheers

edit: generic instruction for those who don't understand what I've posted above:
    Last edited by th37sk; 29-03-16 at 11:33 AM.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to th37sk For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (29-03-16),hoe (29-03-16),OSIRUS (29-03-16),pheggie (29-03-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks

thanks, just added the new ones to my router to use with unblock-us.....

IP Version Dst IP / Prefix Length Gateway Interface Metric Remove
    4 8.8.8.8/32 172.18.1.1 br0 0
    4 8.8.8.8/32 172.18.1.1 br0 2
    4 8.8.4.4/32 172.18.1.1 br0 2
    4 8.8.4.4/32 172.18.1.1 br0 0
    4 185.2.0.0/32 172.18.1.1 br0 0
    4 23.246.0.0/32 172.18.1.1 br0 0
    4 45.57.0.0/32 172.18.1.1 br0 0
    4 108.175.0.0/32 172.18.1.1 br0 0
    4 198.38.0.0/32 172.18.1.1 br0 0
    4 198.45.0.0/32 172.18.1.1 br0 0
    6 2001:4860:4860::8888/32 ppp0.1 0
    6 2001:4860:4860::8844/32 ppp0.1 0
    4 113.212.168.41/32 0.0.0.0 ppp0.1

Static route table from my billion router.....

Thanks

Uno working fine. Just required a change to region settings. Tiresome. And even in the most unlikely event that they do ultimately succeed all it will do is lose Netflix customers to the Pirates.

• The Following User Says Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (29-03-16)

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast