Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NBN Changeovers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Guiseppe View Post
    That is the plan. I will have to discuss with the cabler how the other rooms will be reconnected.
    If you dont take your number with you to your new rsp then it will
    still remain active as per normal with who ever you are connected to
    and be billed by them for it.

But

If you take your number with you to your new rsp then it will be voip
    and the asus dsl-ac68u does not have voip ports

even if you do not take your number with you it will be cut of after about 12 months
    of the nbn being activated in your area and then you will have no choice about
    using voip for the home phone.

also i found out that if you are with telstra once you are up and running make sure
    you ring them to advise that you have switched to nbn and want a disconnection
    from adsl otherwise they continue billing you as i just found out today.
    Last edited by fandtm666; 19-12-17 at 07:28 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (21-12-17),xapi (19-12-17)

Thanks

My change over went smoothly we were given a date and on the day TPG came around installed the new fiber modem a the battery backup unit and was up and working within two hours with same ph number, getting 95/50 had no problems with internet from day one.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    If you dont take your number with you to your new rsp then it will
    still remain active as per normal with who ever you are connected to
    and be billed by them for it.

But

If you take your number with you to your new rsp then it will be voip
    and the asus dsl-ac68u does not have voip ports

even if you do not take your number with you it will be cut of after about 12 months
    of the nbn being activated in your area and then you will have no choice about
    using voip for the home phone.

also i found out that if you are with telstra once you are up and running make sure
    you ring them to advise that you have switched to nbn and want a disconnection
    from adsl otherwise they continue billing you as i just found out today.
    Are you sure about that ? Presumably a disconnection from ADSL to NBN involves disconnection from the copper network (apart from the section from your home to the cabinet - I am referring to FTTN).

I did not wish to keep my phone and Telstra has already sent me a "why did you disconnect your phone, can we do better?" email, and checking my Telstra account my phone is definitely disconnected. I did not request disconnection of my phone, it happened automatically.

Seems you are right on ADSL, I got on Live Chat (best way to deal with Telstra.....you keep the log as proof of conversation) and asked, there was no explanation about phone, so I just cancelled ADSL as thats all that was left on the account.
    As always with Telstra, its worth checking and live chat makes it easy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Are you sure about that ? Presumably a disconnection from ADSL to NBN involves disconnection from the copper network (apart from the section from your home to the cabinet - I am referring to FTTN).

I did not wish to keep my phone and Telstra has already sent me a "why did you disconnect your phone, can we do better?" email, and checking my Telstra account my phone is definitely disconnected. I did not request disconnection of my phone, it happened automatically.
    Yep mine was still as if connected and phone still active 2 weeks
    after switching to ABB. Maybe yours went through ok because you went with the
    telstra owned RSP.

All i know i had to dance through hoops to get it resolved and no charge.

Administrator
    Thanks

One of those mysteries no doubt......I would recommend anyone just check to be on the safe side.

Live Chat just asked if there was anything else and I said "you could offer me the $99 bundle with a free premium speed upgrade for free" and she seems to be ignoring me

Administrator
    Thanks

Or maybe she is asking someone
    I am actually now a new customer, so would qualify for the snazzy Frontier modem with 4G (not that I want it, but could trade it back in return for the speed)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 835 Posts

I was charged for two months for adsl after the nbn switched on, westnet/iinet refunded me when I complained about it. It is the protocol to keep it on until you actually cancel it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mkhannah For This Useful Post:

fandtm666 (21-12-17)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 835 Posts

On a side note I see providers like iinet are offering everyone on 25/5 a free speed upgrade to 50. I think this has to do with people signing up to speeds that cannot be achieved.

Thanks

Telephoned the person I thought was the cabler this morning. After explaining what I wanted he said that he did not do that work and gave me another couple of contacts.

He also said that it was not necessary to disconnect the cables to the other outlets - just ensure nothing was connected to them. I have opted to go this route in the short term. If I am getting RS speeds then I will go down the disconnect path.

I have contacted ABB and my connection date/time is 5th Jan, 2018 between 07:00 and 14:00. The countdown begins ...

Query. Why do I have to have cookies enabled to access the modem?
    Last edited by Guiseppe; 21-12-17 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Rephrased the query
    If Australia is a democracy why, then, is voting compulsory?

"What has changed between the arrival of the First Fleet and today?"
    "Wearing leg irons is now not required."

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

He also said that it was not necessary to disconnect the cables to the other outlets - just ensure nothing was connected to them.
    That's correct, however, if your lead-in cable is being connected directly to the socket your modem is plugged into (which it should be) and if you don't require any other devices to be connected to any other existing cables, then it's dead simple to isolate the rest of the premises cabling.

Can you say exactly what cabling work you want done?

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (21-12-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    then it's dead simple to isolate the rest of the premises cabling.

Can you say exactly what cabling work you want done?
    The following is speculation:

The lead in from the pit in the street comes to the outlet currently used by the ADSL modem/router.

From this outlet cables run, somehow, to an outlet in the master bedroom - currently unused - and another outlet in the lounge - currently used for the copper line phone.

I am simply going by what I have read. Prior to the comments posted above about not needing to disconnect the other outlets I planned to have the cable from the street connect directly to the outlet used by the ADSL modem/router.

Another socket on the faceplate to have a connection to the other outlets - or leave them disconnected. I am ignorant of what needs to be done if, at some later stage, the outlets are required.

Administrator
    Thanks

The following is speculation:

The lead in from the pit in the street comes to the outlet currently used by the ADSL modem/router.

From this outlet cables run, somehow, to an outlet in the master bedroom - currently unused - and another outlet in the lounge - currently used for the copper line phone.

I am simply going by what I have read. Prior to the comments posted above about not needing to disconnect the other outlets I planned to have the cable from the street connect directly to the outlet used by the ADSL modem/router.

Another socket on the faceplate to have a connection to the other outlets - or leave them disconnected. I am ignorant of what needs to be done if, at some later stage, the outlets are required.
    If your cabling is as you've described, there will just be two wires to be disconnected at the currently-used ADSL socket to isolate the rest of the cabling.

If you still want to use the phone in the lounge, all that should be required is moving those two wires that were disconnected from the first existing (ADSL) socket, over to a new socket, which can even be on the same faceplate.

The 'phone' output connector on the NBN modem then plugs into that new socket.

It sounds like you have the ideal/simple job to change over.

If only they were all that simple.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (22-12-17)

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mkhannah View Post
    On a side note I see providers like iinet are offering everyone on 25/5 a free speed upgrade to 50. I think this has to do with people signing up to speeds that cannot be achieved.
    The reason is here :

Administrator
    Thanks

My last friends sign up to Telstra was also flawless. He is very happy.

I contacted Telstra on behalf of my first mate to see if I could con a free speed upgrade out of them as they now offer 50 as default and not 25.

They agreed, but I had to sign him up online again and then give the number to the CSR who said he will action it ASAP.

Of course this means my mate gets a free speed upgrade, and another new modem and another Telstra TV box as you cant deselect it at all

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

just put my order in, finally......

isp is saying nbn will need to attend premises.

is that normal ?

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    isp is saying nbn will need to attend premises.

is that normal ?
    Yes, depending on the type of connection... and if the installer is supplying and/or installing the modem, etc.

Thanks

Who is as happy as a pig in ... ?

14:00 hrs came and went and still on ADSL. After 15:00 hrs rang ABB and was told that my connection showed in progress. ABB apparently cannot contact the "tech", "It would make our life so much easier if we could", I was told.

ADSL went down so tried to set up the router. No joy. Rang ABB and was told that I would receive a message when the connection was completed.

Message came, router set up and happy camper.

PS. So far speed is good with the other phone sockets still wired in but nothing connected to them.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

mines 'pending', no adsl as its not available here..........

got modem set up and plugged in....

waiting, waiting for that dsl light to come on....

what a joke, just got a text "your nbn static ip service is estimated to be activated on 11/1/2018 at 16:00"

thats 6 days away.......
    Last edited by hoe; 05-01-18 at 08:07 PM.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Just don't ever be late in paying your bill. Telstra's billing department is very "special" We have a priority service because of my wife's medical needs. She needs to contact me on my mobile if she cannot get my attention any other way. We were a little late paying the last bill and paid it the day before their letter said that our service would be "restricted". Wife rang and advised the payment after we had done so. All she got was some computer asking if the bill was paid. She said "yes", and we thought that was it. Next evening wife tries to ring me and can't get through. We have all of our services with Telstra (mobile, internet , foxhell, and fone) and everything was working except for calls to STD and Mobile. Given that we are in the country, 99% of our calls are STD, including to our Doctor and the nearest useful Hospital. As it was only the mobiles that weren't working I reported it as a fault. The fault tech was brilliant and tested everything before discovering that the billing department had placed a bar on our service. Of course, Billing only works 9-5, or should I say answers the phone. He did not have the authority to fix it so offered to ring back in the morning and put me through to billing to fix it. He duly did. I then get some immigrant clown who would not accept anything other than the account number and bill number as ID before he would even talk to me about my service. I requested on no fewer than 7 occasions to speak to a supervisor and all he did was continue to talk over the top of me asking for information that was not ready to hand. He then hung up on me! NOT HAPPY JAN!!!!!!! Eventually, after I cooled down, a lot, and found my bill, I did get onto another member of the team who was a little more friendly who then proceeded to inform me that my service had been restored at 2AM that morning which the other ****head could have told me if he had listened. All other areas of Telstra I have found to be generally helpful it is only their Billing department that lets them down!!!! About two hours later I get another call from their service department following up on my call from the night before. Again, the bloke was friendly and helpful, most apologetic for the way billing treated me and promised to pass my complaint up the line. I hope that their "call recorded for quality...BS" is actually listened to by someone in power to deal with these numpties in Billing because they are all bloody useless.

For a bit of history, I used to work on the other end of the phone to billing in Darwin. The staff in the 80s were actually all brilliant, helpful and intelligent. I was the bloke they had to call if they wanted the plug pulled on a service or a new one connected.

edit: you would think that restricting a service would get more attention if Foxhell or the Internet were shut down, but barring STD and Mobiles? Who spends all day checking that their phone can call either of those services? It's only when you NEED it that it is a problem. Some people in the big smoke may not notice that sort of barring for a month!!!!
    Last edited by lsemmens; 05-01-18 at 11:25 PM.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    We were a little late paying the last bill
    These are the key words mate unfortunately. It doesn't matter who it is, if you don't pay on time they do have the right to take some form of action. If payment is going to be late and you advise them, they are generally fine with an extension to avoid action and/or late fees.

Realistically we are getting a bit too far off topic on this one.

• Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast