Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stop The Boats

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,079 Times in 9,094 Posts

Default Stop The Boats

Bwahahahahaha....how the tables have turned. Oh my f*ckin god!! (god...ooops....sorry trash)

I vividly recall all the Abbott haters lambasting this three word slogan....I can't wait to read their rationalisation for this. F*ck me, Shorten is an empty keg....

Federal Opposition Leader Bill Shorten has declared a Labor Government would "stop the boats" and strongly indicated there will be no change in the party's border protection policy.
    How many actually believe him.......

The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (28-05-18)

Look Here ->

Thanks

What's your point enf?

They are reiterating a policy they made 3 years ago. It's the Coalition that are inventing BS about ALP open borders.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PZ. View Post
    What's your point enf?

They are reiterating a policy they made 3 years ago.
    The point is clearly in the post. With Abbott (and don't get me wrong, I can't stand the man) it was all laughter and abuse at his "three word slogan" especially on Austech. Except, he actually DID stop the boats and the drownings ceased or were at least severely curtailed.

Now Shorten is using the same slogan, but it seems it's OK now.

It's the Coalition that are inventing BS about ALP open borders.
    Perhaps they are. But the ALPs track record would suggest otherwise, and as they are certain to win the next election (IMO anyway. I'd be stunned if they don't) and will probably AGAIN be beholden to the greens, you actually believe them? Good luck with that one....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks

I didn't say I believe him - that's your invention. And the answer to your next comment is... no, I don't like him either.

Look through the smoke and mirrors. When Shorten endorsed the boat turn backs it split the Labor left from the right - they even lost a seat over it at the election. Clearly there's been another shit fight in the ALP fueled by Govt BS and Shorten is reiterating the policy - lefties can take it or leave it. It's called leadership. Not an empty keg. An empty keg is an attention seeking loudmouth with NFI. You can call Shorten that if you like, but in this context it's an erroneous rant, really.

And for the record, I reckon the TB Govt could easily win the next election from this point.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

What's your point enf?

They are reiterating a policy they made 3 years ago. It's the Coalition that are inventing BS about ALP open borders.
    This completely ignores the question of what the policy will almost certainly become once they take government. I think there are very few who really believe that the floodgates will not open. Then we'll be hearing again straight out lies about push factors and extraordinary events causing the problems.

I have little but contempt for Malcolm Turnbull and those MP's who support him. But do you seriously believe that Labor will continue with this policy once in Government. There is far too much open dissent from some of their MP's who can't even keep their mouths shut until after the election, even if it costs them Government. And it might. Most recently Ged Kearney and Linda Burney were not particularly helpful to their party on this issue, the former deliberately, the latter unwillingly.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DB44 View Post
    This completely ignores the question of what the policy will almost certainly become once they take government. I think there are very few who really believe that the floodgates will not open. Then we'll be hearing again straight out lies about push factors and extraordinary events causing the problems.
    Well let's see.... the Gillard Govt tried to close the floodgates (opened by Rudd) with their so called Malaysia solution which failed. Rudd himself then took on the PNG solution - which failed.

So I don't believe a conspiracy theory that after two unsuccessful attempts to close the borders an ALP Govt would ditch a successful one which they publicly endorsed. It's not just a political promise, they changed their whole platform on the thing 3 years ago.

The borders will remain closed no matter who wins the election.

If you want to open the floodgates, get rid of Shorten and put Albo in instead.
    Last edited by exited; 28-05-18 at 10:26 AM.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

According to this mornings papers, that's a possibility as he's clearly overtaken Shorten in the polls.

Although, didn't the consummate narcissist Rudd make a leadership spillover MUCH more difficult after his brief resurrection? I seem to remember something of the sort.

Thanks

Let them all put their money where their mouths are & put this issue beyond doubt.
    Both of the majors to give bipartisin support & enact legislation that goes something like :-

1/ Any person who arrives without a visa either directly from, or by passing through any country with Australian consular presence is deemed to be an illegal arrival.
    Only persons arriving directly from their home country (no other countries in between) & who are genuinely in fear of their life & liberty shall be exempted from the above provision.

2/ Any illegal arrivals shall NEVER be considered for citizenship under any circumstances.

3/ All illegal arrivals shall be detained indefinitely until they either return to either there home country, their last country of departure or another country willing to take them.

4/ Any person deemed to be an illegal arrival shall be forever denied entry into Australia for any reason.

5/ If any person accepted as a genuine refugee returns to their homeland for any reason shall have their refugee status revoked and be denied further re entry into Australia until normal visa provisions / requirements are met.

6/ Any person who breaks their visa conditions shall be automatically deported to their home country. Any person so deported shall be denied re entry for a minimum of 5 years.

7/ Any person who arrives on a valid visa & subsequently attempts to claim refugee status shall be denied unless there is a major & significant change to the environment of their home country. Leaving immediate family behind implies that their home country is a safe environment.

8/ To repeal or amend this legislation a vote of at least 70% of both houses is required.

• The Following User Says Thank You to madtech For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (28-05-18)

Thanks

Well let's see.... the Gillard Govt tried to close the floodgates (opened by Rudd) with their so called Malaysia solution which failed. Rudd himself then took on the PNG solution - which failed.

So I don't believe a conspiracy theory that after two unsuccessful attempts to close the borders an ALP Govt would ditch a successful one which they publicly endorsed. It's not just a political promise, they changed their whole platform on the thing 3 years ago.

The borders will remain closed no matter who wins the election.

That's going to happen anyway. The ALP could even lose to Turnbull if they keep Shorten.

If you truly believe the floodgates will not open under an ALP government then I have a nice bridge I would like to sell you. Going really cheap. Looks a little like a coathanger.

And by the way, if we do have an ALP government, as seems very likely, I very much hope to be proven wrong. But I doubt it.
    Last edited by DB44; 28-05-18 at 11:53 AM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I support most of madtech's proposal but not part 2 & 3 as there can be circumstances that need to taken into account before making a final decision but once its found the persons were simply 'Queue Jumpers', BYE BYE !!!
    I totally support the 'STOP the BOATS' and would make the strongest protest possible to the Government of the Country where they sailed from that they firstly do everything possible to prevent their Nationals from engaging in this activity and assist in returning back to their shores, those detected at sea.

I have NO problem in accepting Refugees who are forced to flee their Homeland but not those who leave the nearest safe refuge.
    And those who seem to have 'Papers' to get to an embarkation place but suddenly seem to loose them get turned back by Gunboat Diplomacy if needs be !!

Stupid Labor aided by those dim witted Greens thought by politically opposing the Abbott/LNP Government would gain 'Brownie' points by doing so really made a serious judgement of the public opinion at the time and have paid for it ever since.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

DB44 (28-05-18),enf (28-05-18)

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

I thought it was about about shorten himself, who who will “Stop the Votes”........for labour!!!
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to porkop For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (28-05-18),DB44 (28-05-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I support most of madtech's proposal but not part 2 & 3 as there can be circumstances that need to taken into account before making a final decision but once its found the persons were simply 'Queue Jumpers', BYE BYE !!!
    Valid point, I assume you are talking about someone who slips through the net at the O'seas airport & arrives without a visa? If so then treat them as they are treated now.

If you don't agree with 3 what do you propose, let the illegal arrival 'win' & put them into the community?

I have NO problem in accepting Refugees who are forced to flee their Homeland but not those who leave the nearest safe refuge.
    And those who seem to have 'Papers' to get to an embarkation place but suddenly seem to loose them get turned back by Gunboat Diplomacy if needs be !!
    Good point - if papers needed for departure then assume an illegal arrival & treat accordingly

Thanks

This really is a potential election loser for the ALP. Even Turnbull, as terrible as his judgement usually is, has held his nose and reluctantly stayed with the policies that succeeded in stopping the boats, even though it goes against his principles. Enough of the ALP's factions have recognised that it will be difficult or even impossible for them to be elected if they are soft on border control, and enough of them have held their noses for it to become current ALP policy, though major players attempt to change this regularly. This pragmatism may get them elected, after which I don't expect it will take very long for many of them to suddenly re-discover their buried consciences and misguided principles and change this policy.

There is a huge gap between the views of many MP's, no matter what party they represent, and the bulk of Australians. From what I can see this is a very important issue to most ordinary Australians, who want to see firm border controls. If the Coalition, as bad as they are, can run a scare campaign even a fraction as well as Labor ran Mediscare this single issue could get them home. But, unlike Mediscare, there is a very real basis here to be afraid. Labor needs to do more to put this one to bed than assurances from Power Bill. At a minimum it needs to shut up these "compassionate" MP's until after the election, though even this may not be enough to save them. Sadly Turnbull's election strategy is likely to be 8 weeks of campaigning during which his entire front bench will tour the country shouting "jobs and growth".
    Last edited by DB44; 28-05-18 at 01:29 PM.

Thanks

The boats never stopped , well ok , most did ,

Gov changed the policy regarding classification of border operations, so that the end result would be the media not being told anything related to the ongoing ‘operation’ ,

But yes I agree , come here illegally and you have no chance of citizenship.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    According to this mornings papers, that's a possibility as he's clearly overtaken Shorten in the polls.

Although, didn't the consummate narcissist Rudd make a leadership spillover MUCH more difficult after his brief resurrection? I seem to remember something of the sort.
    Yeppers. Funny thing is Albo actually won the leadership based on that system. Just didn't get the prize.

IMO Albo just isn't an election winning proposition - which is probably so many want him to be the leader

Quote Originally Posted by DB44 View Post
    That's going to happen anyway. The ALP could even lose to Turnbull if they keep Shorten.

If you truly believe the floodgates will not open under an ALP government then I have a nice bridge I would like to sell you. Going really cheap. Looks a little like a coathanger.

And by the way, if we do have an ALP government, as seems very likely, I very much hope to be proven wrong. But I doubt it.
    If you are proven right, the ALP will be a 1 term Govt. Just can't see them taking that path.

So I'll respectfully agree to disagree on that one

• The Following User Says Thank You to exited For This Useful Post:

DB44 (28-05-18)

Premium Member

Thanks

I would NOT allow anyone to land on Australian soil who has come by illegal means such as by Boat or using fake papers ie Visa/Passport if by Air.
    All processing would be done OFF Shore as it is now.

I misread proposal three due to a problem with my vision and thought it was similar to proposal 2, my apologies for my error and I support the concept entirely.

At one time I had an idea based on a rescue that happened in the Indian Ocean where a container ship picked up some Boat People when their boat sank.
    My idea was to have one, two or three container ships set up with accommodation cruising between Sri Lanka and east of Cape York along with some small support craft who would intercept anyone trying to sail to Australia and give them the option of turning back or being basically Interned on one of the Container ships while they were being processed.
    They would be fed,clothed and have medical treatment available which many probably have never had before but it would be no Home from Home.
    I cant see my idea costing any more than what its costing us now with those camps currently in use and being at Sea, no problems dealing with anyone.
    I would publish this program World Wide to show what those trying to enter illegally what to, expect.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 28-05-18 at 03:18 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I would NOT allow anyone to land on Australian soil who has come by illegal means such as by Boat or using fake papers ie Visa/Passport if by Air.
    All processing would be done OFF Shore as it is now.

I misread proposal three due to a problem with my vision and thought it was similar to proposal 2, my apologies for my error and I support the concept entirely.

At one time I had an idea based on a rescue that happened in the Indian Ocean where a container ship picked up some Boat People when their boat sank.
    My idea was to have one, two or three container ships set up with accommodation cruising between Sri Lanka and east of Cape York along with some small support craft who would intercept anyone trying to sail to Australia and give them the option of turning back or being basically Interned on one of the Container ships while they were being processed.
    They would be fed,clothed and have medical treatment available which many probably have never had before but it would be no Home from Home.
    I cant see my idea costing any more than what its costing us now with those camps currently in use and being at Sea, no problems dealing with anyone.
    I would publish this program World Wide to show what those trying to enter illegally what to, expect.
    Good idea, but I think there would be huge changes needed to law. Perhaps it would be enough if they stayed in International waters. I dunno. A ship of Australian registry just might give the bleeding hearts and simpering appeals tribunals an excuse for these people to come in and live anywhere we put them. Excepting the backyard of the tribunal members themselves of course.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Good idea, but I think there would be huge changes needed to law. Perhaps it would be enough if they stayed in International waters. I dunno. A ship of Australian registry just might give the bleeding hearts and simpering appeals tribunals an excuse for these people to come in and live anywhere we put them. Excepting the backyard of the tribunal members themselves of course.
    This is why we need simple, clear & unequivocal laws as listed above. There should be no wriggle room at all. Our country, our borders, our rules.

At least I am not as harsh as a mate, he is of the attitude no visa = no invitation = invader = call out the troops, with live ammunition, to defend us from invasion. If a boat crosses our territorial limit give them one chance to turn around, then sink it.

Premium Member

Thanks

Dont need any new or altered Laws as the Boat People would be picked up in International waters on a ship registered to a 'Flag of Convenience' with a hired Crew.

Most of the Boats used by the People smugglers were reportedly in less than good condition to be at Sea and with limited Food and Water on Board, all that would be needed is to keep them in sight and wait for them to call for help.

The whole concept was to make this look as unpleasant as possible and the perceived threat that once on board, those would be there 'for ever' because of the deliberate lack of interest in resolving their status any time soon.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Dont need any new or altered Laws as the Boat People would be picked up in International waters on a ship registered to a 'Flag of Convenience' with a hired Crew.

Most of the Boats used by the People smugglers were reportedly in less than good condition to be at Sea and with limited Food and Water on Board, all that would be needed is to keep them in sight and wait for them to call for help.

The whole concept was to make this look as unpleasant as possible and the perceived threat that once on board, those would be there 'for ever' because of the deliberate lack of interest in resolving their status any time soon.
    Yeah...OK. Then we will have to cope with the whining of the UN. From a bunch of committees that come from countries that don't actually take refugees.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast