Thread: Smart Meters to defer install or not ?

Thanks

Default Smart Meters to defer install or not ?

I just got my 2 letters confirming a date range for my Smart Meter install..

I've heard of ppl deterring their install until the outcome of the libs enquiry into these things..

Just wondering if its worth calling up to defer a install or not?

Im only ever at home between 7pm to 7am if that makes any difference to electricity consumption.. (offpeak/onpeak)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I have deferred my smart meter install with my Electricity Supplier. With my habits and my current Retailer I will paying 25% more for my power at 'peak times' - no good.

Check what rates your Retailer will be charging you before and after smart meter - if you are a night owl you may be better off with the smart meter as the off peaks rates will be cheaper.

Either way, my Electricity Supplier says that I (along with everyone else!) WILL be getting a smart meter eventually...I reckon I've only delayed it max of 12 months.
    Last edited by Mgoldbe1; 04-10-11 at 12:20 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

These things are the future and its going to cost us a lot.
    I made a posting regarding a story of how these Smart Meters would be capable of reading your mail, making Tea and Toast and reading your Heart Rate after a bit of Horizontal Tango-ing etc to actualy seeing a bit of a Promo presentation by an advocate for them of what these meters could do from the Suppliers (Generator/Distributor) point of view.
    When all the paint and and flash was trimmed off, the basic intent is to find YOUR peak useage and CHARGE. There was a comment about fridges that defrost using a heating device and the comment was that if the consumer 'Didnt Care' when this occured, you soon would when you saw the next Bill.
    At the moment Sydney Water are whinging that they arent earning enough as people have economised as per recent threats and promotions so Sydney Water isnt earning as much which means they will have to increase their prices.
    This 'Dog Eat Tail' mentality will pemeate into everything that we buy when we stop paying for what an Item is Worth and start paying what those selling it want it to be Worth.
    Basicaly its back to Charging what the Traffic will bear.
    Once the power/water etc are completely and fully 'Privitised' and the Government 'walks away' from any over riding management, I can see many many increases as the privitised companies aim for maximising their bottom line with your money !!
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 04-10-11 at 01:47 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Softek2 (03-03-12)

Thanks

Ok sounds like I should try the Madmax lifestyle and go offgrid for electric and water....... Ahhh only if electric wasn't so expensive to go totally off grid!

Premium Member

Thanks

Some councils in Victoria I have been told have 'rated' people with water tanks and charging them for the water their not using via the mains so theres no saving financialy or envioromently there.
    Dare I suggest a future cost metherd is to 'Deem' your usage of services, foods you eat and 'entertainment' and be be billed according......................

In other words, they just give you back anything thats left at the end of each week,fortnight or month but dont hold your breath there will be.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 04-10-11 at 08:02 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Some councils in Victoria I have been told have 'rated' people with water tanks and charging them for the water their not using via the mains so theres no saving financialy or envioromently there.

Exactly why when I got new tanks"no rebate for me thankyou". Not interested in the gumbyment having a documented record of how much rain I can store just in case.
    If I want too,I can, I will

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    These things are the future and its going to cost us a lot.
    I made a posting regarding a story of how these Smart Meters would be capable of reading your mail, making Tea and Toast and reading your Heart Rate after a bit of Horizontal Tango-ing etc to actualy seeing a bit of a Promo presentation by an advocate for them of what these meters could do from the Suppliers (Generator/Distributor) point of view.
    When all the paint and and flash was trimmed off, the basic intent is to find YOUR peak useage and CHARGE. There was a comment about fridges that defrost using a heating device and the comment was that if the consumer 'Didnt Care' when this occured, you soon would when you saw the next Bill.
    At the moment Sydney Water are whinging that they arent earning enough as people have economised as per recent threats and promotions so Sydney Water isnt earning as much which means they will have to increase their prices.
    This 'Dog Eat Tail' mentality will pemeate into everything that we buy when we stop paying for what an Item is Worth and start paying what those selling it want it to be Worth.
    Basicaly its back to Charging what the Traffic will bear.
    Once the power/water etc are completely and fully 'Privitised' and the Government 'walks away' from any over riding management, I can see many many increases as the privitised companies aim for maximising their bottom line with your money !!
    I thaught the main reason was they are hoping to eventually have the power to charge whatever they like when they like. So you can bet the bastards will charge $$$$$ when it is in the middle of a heat wave.

Instead of buying a new car, going for a holiday put your money towards stand alone power. Electricity is fast becoming a luxary item and not a basic right.
    If I want too,I can, I will

Thanks

I have a sign i my meter box , No Smart Meter

And with the push towards so called "Green power" and less coal fired elctricity will become harder to get.
    Green power as in "Hydo" is being reduced to allow more water to flow in the Snowy etc.

Im all for the new clean coalpower stations (HRL)

Bazzle

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

You should defer installation until they find out why fires are starting in meter boxes!

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bazzle01 View Post
    I have a sign i my meter box , No Smart Meter

And with the push towards so called "Green power" and less coal fired elctricity will become harder to get.
    Green power as in "Hydo" is being reduced to allow more water to flow in the Snowy etc.

Im all for the new clean coalpower stations (HRL)

Bazzle
    Unless I seriously misunderstand power generation by any means, a 'Generator' must spin at an optimum RPM to produce electricity and that requires a flow of water as in hydro past the turbine blades.
    You simply cannot reduce the flow and expect the same output of power nor could you have a generator running at half RPM to remain connected to the Grid so their either Online of Off.
    As for the joke that Hydro/Solar/Wind power somehow manages to travel all the way from its generation point to Sydney to power Clover Moore's Electric Car Charging outlet is beyond belief.
    Like it or not, there is only one viable alternative to Coal for 24/7 continuous generation and that is Nuclear with all its difficulties and dangers.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Tradesman (09-11-11)

Banned
    Thanks

Hi
    I think bazzle01 said reduce output, this means flow can be reduced and the turbines still run in phase with the grid. Just cannot run so many aircons from Snowy power.
    gordonwh40