Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fun with Drones - Gatwick Airport

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    It sure was all over the news ;-)

They been quitly waiting for an event like Gatwick to unleash thier planned introduction of Rego and other rules.
    But who is going to enforce it?
    Exactly the reason this being a " Manufactured" incident would be more than creditable.

Are all the parts of these drones gfoing to have to be purchased against a Licenses as well. Don't know anything about drones but I have seen parts for sale on the net so if I want a radio or a motor or battery pack, are they going to have to be purchased with a license or can I just go buy the parts and make my own like I have seen so many do particularly with larger machines?

I was surfing YT last night and came across a vid on a flying wing type model plane made by a drone manufacturer that flew 20 Miles round trip. I was thinking what the hell is the difference between those things and a drone? I could up scale one to drop a bomb just as easy ( probably easier) as I could a drone or do anything else with ill intent. If I want to take out an airport I could probably just fly some kites around the area.
    If you want to cause or commit an act of terror or disruptive protest, don't even need all this High tech, go steal truck if you want to do some damage and registration and licensing of cars and trucks hasn't stopped terrorist attacks has it?

Again, Just a money grab by gubbermints riding on the back of a Noble excuse. Terror and security is the scape goat for all sorts of big brother and revenue raising schemes now.
    This is all part of a bigger agenda in fun Policing. Getting so you can't do or enjoy anything these days without some sort of additional cost and turning innocent activity into something suspect and socially questionable.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Agreed, I got a 4 page letter from my bank asking if I was a terrorist.
    Then asking me to give them more info or they will close my accounts...

All based on some Terrorist Act
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    I was surfing YT last night and came across a vid on a flying wing type model plane made by a drone manufacturer that flew 20 Miles round trip. I was thinking what the hell is the difference between those things and a drone? I could up scale one to drop a bomb just as easy ( probably easier) as I could a drone or do anything else with ill intent.
    No difference, it is a Remotely Piloted Aircraft, therefore the same rules apply as a Remote controlled multirotor aircraft, which have been given the nickname drone.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Member
    Thanks

Speaking of drones
    Is it possible to go to the beach anymore without having to endure the "Flies in a Bottle" constant noise of a drone flying around you?
    Just walked off a beach for that reason....
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Speaking of drones
    Is it possible to go to the beach anymore without having to endure the "Flies in a Bottle" constant noise of a drone flying around you?
    Just walked off a beach for that reason....
    The current rules;
    You must not fly over or above people.This could include beaches, parks, events, or sport ovals where there is a game in progress.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    No difference, it is a Remotely Piloted Aircraft,
    So if licencing comes in for drones, will this also include traditional type model aircraft as well?

Makes me want to go get a Truck and some gas Cylinders and close down an airport by releasing clouds of helium ballons to see if they will want to protect the public and bring in licensing for kiddies party balloons to protect us all from terrorists. Wonder if I can get them all in pink?

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

So if licencing comes in for drones, will this also include traditional type model aircraft as well?
    Yes.
    Cheers, Tiny

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Then asking me to give them more info or they will close my accounts...
    Its probably because the new Aquaman movie is out and your username is Oceanboy

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (29-12-18),ol' boy (28-12-18)

Thanks

at it again but heathrow this time

Thanks

Seems all you have to do now is say you saw a drone at an airport and they will close it down.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Seems all you have to do now is say you saw a drone at an airport and they will close it down.
    Therein lies the problem. Do you shut down on the "hint" of a drone, or take the risk that there is nothing to avoid. Certainly anyone who does report a drone must be held to account if none is found, and if there is a drone, the operators should be charged with offences in the same manner as discharging a firearm in the local cop shop!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

tristen (09-01-19)

Thanks

To me this is starting to smell more like a setup all the time.

Have they found anyone responsible for the last incident? If not then I find it hard to believe there was anyone behind it.
    If they do get someone odd on says it's a couple of teenage brat kids not some terrorist group because they would have been aiming at planes on take off at a bare minimum.

As much as it will upset the pedantic saftey sissys and do gooders, I can honestly say I would barely give a 2nd thought to being in a plane where a drone was flying. Unless the thing is a custom built unusally large thing, the chance of it even hitting a plane much less being sucked into an engine or doing any damage at all are about the same as a lotto win. I saw some stupid vid with teh gat wick thing showing what drone could do to a planes wing. What a lot of Bullshit!
    Yes, it may tear it if you are flying in a fabric covered Tiger moth but a modern airliner..... Get effing real! I know how aircraft are made these days and Ally and composites would bounce a drone off with barely a scratch.

Even if one went through an engine, Not going to bring the plane down even on takeoff. You would be in much more danger of a decent size bird going through and they are designed to withstand that anyway. In any case, how many birds go through engine in the thousands of flights every day but people would get hysterical about a drone being able to hit a plane in a couple of sqM area when the plane is moving and would leave the drone behind in 10-15 Sec after it starts it's roll out?
    Not a hope in hell. Hit on the windscreen or anywhere else that is basicaly armoured to take a several Kg bird strike at cruise speed when teh plane would not even be doing 1/3rd of that in and out an airport.

Hysteria is always going to blow things out of all proportion but the facts are such I'd be more than happy to sit on a plane with 10 Drones buzzing round because they will be more danger to taking one another out than a jet aircraft.

What also makes me think this smells of a put up job is the very fact it's a drone. Why a drone now when in all these years it could have been just a model plane? Would have caused the same situation, could have bought a similar size aircraft cheaper. seems a convenient way to demonize the things in order to give Gubbermints a convenient way to get support for more fun policing.

The other thing was there any real proof of a drone? If someone saw it I believe someone would have filmed it. If it was away from the terminals, no one would have seen it in the first place.

I'm not into model aircraft but I watch a YT Chanel called " Flite Test". It's a bunch of enthusiasts that build all sorts of weird and wacky and BIG model aircraft out of cheap and easy to get materials. It illustrates what you can get to fly and if you had sinister intentions, what is possible with little skill, cost or effort.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

As much as it will upset the pedantic saftey sissys and do gooders, I can honestly say I would barely give a 2nd thought to being in a plane where a drone was flying. Unless the thing is a custom built unusally large thing, the chance of it even hitting a plane much less being sucked into an engine or doing any damage at all are about the same as a lotto win. I saw some stupid vid with teh gat wick thing showing what drone could do to a planes wing. What a lot of Bullshit!
    Yes, it may tear it if you are flying in a fabric covered Tiger moth but a modern airliner..... Get effing real! I know how aircraft are made these days and Ally and composites would bounce a drone off with barely a scratch.

Even if one went through an engine, Not going to bring the plane down even on takeoff. You would be in much more danger of a decent size bird going through and they are designed to withstand that anyway. In any case, how many birds go through engine in the thousands of flights every day but people would get hysterical about a drone being able to hit a plane in a couple of sqM area when the plane is moving and would leave the drone behind in 10-15 Sec after it starts it's roll out?
    Not a hope in hell. Hit on the windscreen or anywhere else that is basicaly armoured to take a several Kg bird strike at cruise speed when teh plane would not even be doing 1/3rd of that in and out an airport.

Well george it can happen.
    Lucky for this 737 that it only ripped thru the nose cone! Bit more than a scratch.

Cheers, Tiny

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

tristen (10-01-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I wouldn't worry about george, he lives in his own reality, very different to the one the rest of us live in.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (10-01-19),Tiny (10-01-19),tristen (10-01-19)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    at it again but heathrow this time

Starting to remind me of the 'Needle in Strawberry' syndrome.

A lot of people might just want to make themselves feel important because they don't get enough 'likes' on social media.
    The big problem here is that anybody could claim they saw the drone and then it flew out of sight before somebody else could confirm it ...or was it a bird.

Any drone that would cause damage like shown in Tiny's post would be quite sizeable and therefore easy to spot and not some little plastic toy under 250g.

I think it would be safe enough for airports to only accept drone warnings when somebody can provide a photo/video of it showing also the vicinity of the airport by panning the camera.
    EVERYBODY who travels these days would have at least a mobile phone with a FHD video camera.
    I carry a Panasonic micro four thirds including a tele-zoom lens in my cabin baggage, not a fan of phone cameras. So if you tell me you spotted a drone big enough to damage an aircraft, I will tell you brand, model and how many Ah the battery has if it was DIY.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 10-01-19 at 03:04 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (10-01-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Well george it can happen.
    Lucky for this 737 that it only ripped thru the nose cone! Bit more than a scratch.

Possible Midair Drone Hit
    “The exact cause is still being investigated,”

The potential drone strike stoked fears

Yep, no media beat up or fearmongering in that article ....
    Much.
    Don't know what hit the plane but lets call it a Drone.

Thanks

As much as it will upset the pedantic saftey sissys and do gooders,
    oceanboy: I wouldn't worry about george, he lives in his own reality, very different to the one the rest of us live in.
    Yep, called it. Dependable as sunrise and about as miserable and as a dose of the Flu.

Thanks

Commercial Pilot not worried about hitting drones.

• Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123