Thread: Router/Network help

Thanks

Default Router/Network help

Hello All,

I would like to know if it is possible to share my Windows 7 internet connection thru a Asus RTN66U.

I am trying to setup a couple Media Center boxes.

I have my PC connected to the router via Ethernet cable. I want to share the PC internet connection to to 2 KODI devices for updating.

Both KODI boxes will connect to the router via WiFi no problems however they will not update.

1 Kodi box is Vero 4K the other is a PI 3+ ,both running same OS and work fine just no internet for updates.

I know this is poor way to do it but until I can get all the network cable installed and up and running other than disconnecting the KODI boxes and bringing them back to desktop PC for updates wanted to try the above method if all possible.

My desktop and both KODI boxes have static IP's.

Thanks for any input.

Tim

Look Here ->
    Thanks

ok so at a guess i would assume that the Asus RTN66U is not connected to your modem ???

if you connect that to the modem and make sure that they are on the
    same ip range and subnet then your wireless units will work with out an
    issue on the net.

Asus RTN66U AND PC connected to your modem then the

Asus RTN66U wireless will connect to anything with wireless will get internet
    Last edited by fandtm666; 07-09-20 at 11:57 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

toolman60 (08-09-20)

Thanks

Do you use static or dynamic addressing with your Kodi boxes? By default they are configured as dynamic so your router should have DHCP enabled.
    If the above all true try to change to static and manually configure your kodi boxes network. Make sure you know your router LAN address (probably 192.168.0.1) which also should be used as Gateway and DNS addresses in your Kodi boxes.
    That should give you Internet connectivity.
    Last edited by fromaron; 07-09-20 at 07:52 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to fromaron For This Useful Post:

toolman60 (08-09-20)

Thanks

fandt,fro,

Thanks for trying to help.

My set up:

Windows 7 using a USB 760 Verizon modem internet.

My Win PC has the USB modem attached to USB port. Using Internet sharing set.

PC connected to ASUS via LAN. The PC has a static IP on ASUS.

WiFi is enabled in ASUS Router.

Both KODI boxes is set to static IP and are on the router network map along with the WIN 7 PC.

I guess until my rural area gets broadband internet I will just have to move the boxes to my desktop pc to add new files to libraries.

All we have here is wireless internet that not but 1/2 step above dialup.

Thanks
    Tim

Thanks
    Thanked 1,150 Times in 576 Posts

Can't you simply set the Win PC's static IP address as the "Gateway" address on the other devices?

Andrew
    Last edited by Bigfella237; 08-09-20 at 09:04 AM.

Thanks

Tim, it is much clearer now what you have. I don't have the Asus router to test but according to google your router has 2 USB ports which can be used not only for files sharing. They also suppose to provide 3G/4G sharing to the router connected clients.
    Understanding there is no much information on this functionality but I would try and connect your USB modem to the router instead of PC and play with configuration.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,931 Times in 1,509 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fromaron View Post
    Tim, it is much clearer now what you have. I don't have the Asus router to test but according to google your router has 2 USB ports which can be used not only for files sharing. They also suppose to provide 3G/4G sharing to the router connected clients.
    Understanding there is no much information on this functionality but I would try and connect your USB modem to the router instead of PC and play with configuration.

I just read the asus user manual for this device -- no, the above will not work, the USB ports are just for file sharing ;

Can't you simply set the Win PC's static IP address as the "Gateway" address on the other devices?
    Pretty much this is what the OP needs to do -- the PC's LAN port would go to the router's WAN port in this case (although you could use the router's LAN port instead, *provided* there's no isolation between wifi & LAN)

As I DontDoWindows[tm], someone else not me should be able to guide you through it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    I just read the asus user manual for this device -- no, the above will not work, the USB ports are just for file sharing ;

As I DontDoWindows[tm], someone else not me should be able to guide you through it.
    As I mentioned earlier not a lot of information on the 3G/4G connectivity around. Nevertheless, the router does have this functionality.

and Asus page for OPs router model:

Sure, compatible modem is required. If OP has the modem which is supported then this will be the best most flexible way of accessing internet via cellular network without keeping PC powered.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fromaron View Post
    Sure, compatible modem is required. If OP has the modem which is supported then this will be the best most flexible way of accessing internet via cellular network without keeping PC powered.
    Highlighted is the problem -- I've yet to find USB wifi modem (supplied by optus/telstra) that supports that interface ; this would be a lot easier with a different gateway device =)

edit: *if* it's one of these;

Often what the manufacturer states, is not reflected by which devices the ISPs are providing 'now'
    Last edited by wotnot; 08-09-20 at 12:31 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Highlighted is the problem -- I've yet to find USB wifi modem (supplied by optus/telstra) that supports that interface ; this would be a lot easier with a different gateway device =)
    I understand OP is located in US (not Australia) and we do not know which modem is used or supplied. Different list of compatible modems should be used. Also, even if you do not have modem listed it doesn't mean the modem won't work. It's a matter of testing.

I do not have the router myself so can't test. It sounds like you tested different USB modems supplied by Optus and Telstra with RTN66U so I can't argue or question your statement.
    Last edited by fromaron; 08-09-20 at 12:46 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Yeah, been here before ~ it's a right pita.

You are correct -- just because the device isn't on the list, doesn't mean it won't work ...ie; rebranded device with the same USB/chipset interface ICs.

Strangely enough, the US list of compatible USB modems is even briefer;

No surprise to see the comparative lack of Huawei device support in the US =) -->

Thanks

Thanks guys for all the tips.

Will give them a go in next couple days to see if I missed something when I was trying the last few days. Brain is cabbage at moment from fighting with this stuff.