Thread: Commander system to VOIP?

Thanks

Default Commander system to VOIP?

At work we have 3 phone lines coming in, a fax line (which the adsl is connected to), and 2 voice lines. If one voice line is busy, the call is diverted to the other. You probably can tell that I'm not an expert in how commander/pabx/whatever systems work. I want to change our voice lines to voip to save money. We have a Linksys WAG200G as our modem, which AFAIK, does QOS. What else do I need as far as hardware goes, to get this all working. It's important that I can use hold and transfer features working too. Music on hold is important, and I'd really like to be able to get some kind of "out of hours" message going, but it's not a priority at the moment.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by therufus View Post
    At work we have 3 phone lines coming in, a fax line (which the adsl is connected to), and 2 voice lines. If one voice line is busy, the call is diverted to the other. You probably can tell that I'm not an expert in how commander/pabx/whatever systems work. I want to change our voice lines to voip to save money. We have a Linksys WAG200G as our modem, which AFAIK, does QOS. What else do I need as far as hardware goes, to get this all working. It's important that I can use hold and transfer features working too. Music on hold is important, and I'd really like to be able to get some kind of "out of hours" message going, but it's not a priority at the moment.
    A friend has an almost identical setup to the one you have.

He had to get the company who installed the Commander system to provide additional cabling, analogue telephone adaptor (VOIP device) and (importantly) to reprogram the Commander system so that this could be accomplished.
    They also arranged a VOIP providor.

Thanks

From experience I have found the best and cheapest way to accomplish VoIP in your scenario is to simply use either a couple of ATA's for your Voip lines or something like the Linksys SPA-400.

Most good phone techs can hook these up to your current system for you, plenty of which hang out here.

The only other recommendation I would make is to have a dedicated ADSL for the Voip if you will be making alot of calls and using alot of internet simultaniously. I've always found QoS on the entry level routers to be a bit hit and miss.

Thanks

how many calls do you get in at a time and how many are outbound
    What is the nature of inbound calls , eg loosing 1 call, will it cost you more then you save? Most commanders have 4 pstn lines, so you may put an apa device on the last line, run non crucial calls over it, have the fax on the phone system , and use that for out bound calls, if need be

What type of commander is it?

Thanks

suggest you have a read of this

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by therufus View Post
    At work we have 3 phone lines coming in, a fax line (which the adsl is connected to), and 2 voice lines........
    Exact same situation see ...

In this recession you need to cut back wherever possible.

Solutions:

1. One Telstra PSDN line. ($40 per month.) You need it if you want to keep your advertised number. You also set the line( #24...*) to divert when busy to the first Voip line. Optus is cheaper but they don’t have “divert when busy” feature.

Alternatively you can pay Telstra $120 per year to maintain a recorded massage “ the new number for ….Pty Ltd . is 8…..…… You have not been charged for this call”

The new business number would be a Voip number.

2. Get Engin on the $20 plan. Will give you 2 Voip lines set so that when the first is busy it’ll divert to the 2nd voip line.

For $25 (12 months contract) Engin will deliver one Voice box (Linksys SPA2102) fully configured and ready to connect. The thing is about the size of a packet of smokes.

Simply connect the Voice box to the broadband (router) and the 2 outputs connect (replace) the PSDN lines 2 and 3 inputs going to the PABX. If your wiring is on a patch panel it’s easy as unplugging the PSDN’s and plugging the 2 viop lines.

Your PABX features and behavior won’t change. Except for the voip dial tones everything is same as before the change.

3. Broadband +Fax you need a 2nd PSDN line. Best deal is Optus $57 PSDN+5GB Broadband ADSL-2 If you don’t visit youtube that often it’s more then enough.

Alternatively, if you can do a deal with the business next door. Run a cat5 cable and share the broadband. The Fax machine can be put out to pasture we hardly use it and mostly get junk Faxes anyway. Nowadays you simply print to PDF and email save the trees. ()

Telstra PSDN $40.00
    Engin $20.00
    Optus PSDN + ADSL $57.00
    ------------------------------------------
    Monthly fixed costs $117.00 for 4 lines + ADSL 2 Excluding call costs

If you can share the ADSL with next door business and allowing for the ADSL contribution you could save another $35.00. If you can do away with your advertised number and have Telstra recorded massage advising of new number you save another $30.00

Telstra massage $ 10.
    Engin 3 lines $ 30
    ADSL say $ 30 contribution
    ---------------------------------------------
    Monthly fixed cost $70 for 3 voip + adsl

Call charges would be about a 3rd of what you’d be paying through PSDN lines. Engin is good, you get a slight stutter occasionally but other then that the voice is clear.

PS. Eftpost machine won’t work on a voip line,
    Last edited by B52; 26-04-09 at 12:20 AM.

Thanks

not the best setup you should have QOS this is why you go for a bilion router or something with a good QOS you will have troble if you do short cuts ,, spend a few $$$ get it right also get a 1300# have all calls deverted to a voip # then you never have to change a # again as the 1300 # is yours for ever

dont ever do this (The new business number would be a Voip number.) you never want a voip # to be a advertized # get a 1300 #

Thanks

Agree with what B52 has posted, except if you're going to use engin DO NOT touch the BYO service, I've moved more than enough people away from this after they've complained on poor call quality, constant dropouts etc.

Using the standard service with engin supplied hardware seems to work OK.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nic55 View Post
    Agree with what B52 has posted, except if you're going to use engin DO NOT touch the BYO service, I've moved more than enough people away from this after they've complained on poor call quality, constant dropouts etc.

Using the standard service with engin supplied hardware seems to work OK.
    standard service with engin supplied hardware seems to work

Have to agree 100%

Thanks

Wake up, engin if for newbies anyone who has used voip for more than a week
    know there is HEAPS better providers out there
    I aint going to sugest one as both have there ups and downs
    the one i use suits me as it is very iphone friendly

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by martymoose View Post
    Wake up, engin if for newbies anyone who has used voip for more than a week
    know there is HEAPS better providers out there
    I aint going to sugest one as both have there ups and downs
    the one i use suits me as it is very iphone friendly
    I have the same idea with you. Great! Thanks for sharing.
    Glad to hear you're using this: I plan to keep it much more aggressively up-to-date than has been the case in the past, but don't hesitate to let me know if you find errors or need clarifications.