hinekadon (14-09-18)

Look Here ->
    Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

righto go 4 it yummy

• The Following User Says Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (15-09-18)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

It is getting harder to find things that are fixable in a world where everything is becoming replaceable.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (15-09-18),loopyloo (15-09-18)

Banned

Thanks

have to agree there is no techy chat any more just programming stuff makes one wonder where they gone ?????

loopyloo (15-09-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    It is getting harder to find things that are fixable in a world where everything is becoming replaceable.
    Oh yeah ????
    Well I'd still prob have a go at it. lol

Banned

Thanks

Thumbs up perhaps ?

yep every thing is replaceable or binned why not the politicians as well thats what the libs do but back to electronics , i try to fix everything : the last bit of pleasure is bashing it to pieces and going to the bin if nothing works may be some one will tell us about something they have fixed in the real world not in cyberspace lol

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (19-09-18),Skepticist (18-09-18),Uncle Fester (18-09-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I'll have a go at just about anything. What happens is I get something that's ceased functioning then can't resist doing a forensic exam on it which often leads to repairing it so I end up with something no-one wants any longer and I have no real use for so it ends up gathering dust at my place.

But I get a lot of enjoyment out of the success stories and the learning experience

Like a couple of large TV's I fixed up but they were analog CRT (no digital tuner) so ultimately I had to take them to the tip although they worked as good as new - nearly broke myself moving them around.
    Last edited by Skepticist; 18-09-18 at 06:47 PM.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skepticist For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (18-09-18),loopyloo (19-09-18),Uncle Fester (18-09-18)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

I can NEVER throw away any piece of tech, even a bloody fan or lamp without taking it apart to see why it failed and if I can salvage parts.
    Old printers still a good souce of mechanical bits, motors, heatsinks and some have complete power supplies with multiple volages.
    I can't count how many super powerful magnets I got from hard drives.
    I still have plenty of CRT PCB boards and yokes, while I am finally learning to part myself from old PC mobos.

.... and all hoarded in case one day needed to FIX something, although it turns out they are more often needed to build something.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 18-09-18 at 07:12 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (18-09-18),loopyloo (19-09-18),Skepticist (18-09-18)

Banned

Thanks

getting hands dirty from tools not keyboards breaking nails from bolts skinning knuckles spend 2 hrs making a tool to remove one bolt then finding the tool 10 years later and wondering what the hell did i build that for ??? 3 days later you remember why ???? and think to your self dickhead why bother lolol but loopy you better get skepto and nomeat another thing to fix cos we are waiting impatiently .
    i suspect we arent the only ones

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

gulliver (25-09-18),loopyloo (19-09-18),Skepticist (18-09-18),Uncle Fester (24-09-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

Still plenty of scope when thinking a bit more laterally. My move into the HVAC&R industry has provided a wealth of opportunity for getting the hands dirty.
    The complexity of electronics in these products now has left many fridgys lost and bewildered.
    I repair these expensive PCBs to component level and it is both financially rewarding as well as offering an intellectual challenge.
    Mostly through hole components and easily fixed. The circuit below shows a PCB for a modern AC outdoor PCB. Plenty of fun stuff to get the soldering iron onto action.

"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TVguy For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (25-09-18),tristen (24-09-18),Uncle Fester (24-09-18)

Banned

Thanks

now thats the stuff we like !!!!!!!

loopyloo (25-09-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TVguy View Post
    Still plenty of scope when thinking a bit more laterally. My move into the HVAC&R industry has provided a wealth of opportunity for getting the hands dirty.
    The complexity of electronics in these products now has left many fridgys lost and bewildered.
    I repair these expensive PCBs to component level and it is both financially rewarding as well as offering an intellectual challenge.
    Mostly through hole components and easily fixed. The circuit below shows a PCB for a modern AC outdoor PCB. Plenty of fun stuff to get the soldering iron onto action.
    Similar experience when I was repairing welders and plasma cutters. Some of the high end programmable gear had very complex circuitry. The electricians who were working there could only replace boards when they suspected them to be faulty, which meant there were quite a few spare boards laying around, that were unlikely to get used, due to misdiagnosis. Boss was pretty amazed when I repaired a few of their boards, rather than ordering in a new one. On some of the older gear, it was often just electrolytic caps that had dried out, or maybe an opamp or semi dead.

• The Following User Says Thank You to bob_m_54 For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (25-09-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bob_m_54 View Post
    Similar experience when I was repairing welders and plasma cutters. Some of the high end programmable gear had very complex circuitry. The electricians who were working there could only replace boards when they suspected them to be faulty, which meant there were quite a few spare boards laying around, that were unlikely to get used, due to misdiagnosis. Boss was pretty amazed when I repaired a few of their boards, rather than ordering in a new one. On some of the older gear, it was often just electrolytic caps that had dried out, or maybe an opamp or semi dead.
    That is NOT how it is supposed to be done !

As far back as the mid 1970's I started an apprenticeship at Grundig and when I fixed a clock radio by replacing a faulty diode I located, the boss got upset and said I am supposed to replace the whole module.
    When I complained that would cost the owner 2/3 of the new price and the diode only a few "pennies" I was ordered to clean the shelves and floors for a week.

I was so peeved off and gave up this pathetic job after a month and did an internship at a design and prototype Lab for fibre-optical testing equipment where I learned more in that 6 months than later at UNI.

I may have never embraced this fantastic opportunity if it were not for this simple diode !
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 25-09-18 at 11:48 AM.

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

bob_m_54 (25-09-18),gulliver (25-09-18),hinekadon (25-09-18),loopyloo (25-09-18),Skepticist (25-09-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    That is NOT how it is supposed to be done !

As far back as the mid 1970's I started an apprenticeship at Grundig and when I fixed a clock radio by replacing a faulty diode I located, the boss got upset and said I am supposed to replace the whole module.
    When I complained that would cost the owner 2/3 of the new price and the diode only a few "pennies" I was ordered to clean the shelves and floors for a week.

I was so peeved off and gave up this pathetic job after a month and did an internship at a design and prototype Lab for fibre-optical testing equipment where I learned more in that 6 months than later at UNI.

I may have never embraced this fantastic opportunity if it were not for this simple diode !
    Now knowing what that boss was like, he probably charged them as much as what a new board would have cost anyway... But it did get the gear out quicker, which was the biggest priority at the time.

• The Following User Says Thank You to bob_m_54 For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (26-09-18)