Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Future of Foxtel

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 958 Posts

Default Future of Foxtel

Is this just the ABC's spin on it or could Foxtel disappear ?

Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OSIRUS For This Useful Post:

Johnno (06-05-20),Mr 672A (06-05-20),mtv (06-05-20)

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

If the weren't so damn greedy with the prices they charge... plus the amount of commercials viewers have to endure, it's really no wonder why people are going elsewhere.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (06-05-20),OSIRUS (06-05-20),wotnot (06-05-20)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OSIRUS View Post
    Is this just the ABC's spin on it or could Foxtel disappear ?

Yeah!!! When that happens I will Ring Foxtel and I will say, Remember Galaxy, remember TARBS, Now its your turn. Again like in Cardinal Pells case all the Dirty tricks was used to Convict Pell, Now when it Comes to Galaxy and TARBS all Murdock and Co dirty tricks were used to get rid of competition.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

DB44 (06-05-20),OSIRUS (06-05-20)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    plus the amount of commercials viewers have to endure,
    All the People that I know the Number 1 complaint is THE ADDS!!!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    If the weren't so damn greedy with the prices they charge... plus the amount of commercials viewers have to endure, it's really no wonder why people are going elsewhere.
    Exactly why I never have nor will even subscribe to media delivery services like this...who on earth would actually -pay- for advertisements to be shoved in their face?

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

DB44 (06-05-20)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

I have had Foxtel for years. Every time I talk about ditching it (because it's f*cking useless) the wife and daughter make my life hell.

If it disappeared up it's own arse I wouldn't care one iota. Other services cover anything I might need and do it cheaper.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

DB44 (06-05-20),Johnno (06-05-20),SS Dave (06-05-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

I can assure you the ads are just as bad on every other pay service worldwide...

Iptv is definately the way to go now, assuming yku have nbn..

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    I have had Foxtel for years. Every time I talk about ditching it (because it's f*cking useless) the wife and daughter make my life hell.

If it disappeared up it's own arse I wouldn't care one iota. Other services cover anything I might need and do it cheaper.

I had Galaxy first then migrated over to Fox Satellite (when they took over) and have never left.. Mainly because of the wife & kids also nagged me.

Of course I pay for a sub.. LOL /shrug /wink kinda lol

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    I can assure you the ads are just as bad on every other pay service worldwide...

Iptv is definately the way to go now, assuming yku have nbn..

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk
    It is a shame as they have so much potential for those that enjoy sports or have terrible internet and data plans where streaming options are not viable.
    But, due to not being allowed the choice to package channels of own choosing, the outrageous and excessive pricing, and growing invasion of advertising, their subscribers are just not there.

For those that have decent internet, streaming is definitely the choice to suit most people.
    The downside is Australian sport content, where unless you can source non-endorsed IPTV feeds, local Australian sport will not be achievable via streaming.
    You may locate a few feeds, but, to have all games or choose a certain game is really only achieved via foxtel; not streaming.
    Can't rely on FTA as usually there are 3 x NRL and 4 x AFL games per round; so for local sport, Foxtel are still the winner (outside coronavirus days).

• The Following User Says Thank You to Xplorer For This Useful Post:

Tiny (06-05-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnno View Post
    I had Galaxy first then migrated over to Fox Satellite (when they took over
    More likely shafted by Foxtel because Galaxy had the right for the First 20 Channels and they were the Main Channels that Foxtel needed. Also FOX Sports was ALL STARS SPORTS in the Galaxy Days and when Foxtel started they had to pay Galaxy royalties for those 20 channels and what the best things to do to get out of this contract, find a way to make Galaxy to fold.
    Same Shit with TARBS, As Soon a Mick Boulos (TARBS) started to English Channels on his platform FOXTEL resented this and because Boulos had NON pre-enptive Transponders (Cheaper) than pre-enptive transponders as Soon a Sky on New Zealand had a issue (Murdoch) with one of there Transponder that gave them the right to take over that AUS and NZ Beam from TARBS. Over Night TARBS Failed a lot of people that I know lost there houses and cars and other and FOXTEL was laughing.
    Pity the People in Management in Foxtel that I knew are long gone because I would have pleasure of ring them up and say SUCK EGGS

Edit got this spelt wrong.
    NON pre-enptive Transponders (Cheaper) than pre-enptive transponders
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 06-05-20 at 02:57 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

Johnno (06-05-20),OSIRUS (06-05-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post
    But, due to not being allowed the choice to package channels of own choosing,
    This is there biggest Failure. You should be allowed to pick a 20 Channel package with your selection of 20 channels not have the good channels spread in 4 different packages

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Had poxhell and ditched it because of lack of decent programming and ads. For less than the cost of their package, I've now got Netflix and a couple of others.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

SS Dave (06-05-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

It is a shame as they have so much potential for those that enjoy sports or have terrible internet and data plans where streaming options are not viable.
    But, due to not being allowed the choice to package channels of own choosing, the outrageous and excessive pricing, and growing invasion of advertising, their subscribers are just not there.

For those that have decent internet, streaming is definitely the choice to suit most people.
    The downside is Australian sport content, where unless you can source non-endorsed IPTV feeds, local Australian sport will not be achievable via streaming.
    You may locate a few feeds, but, to have all games or choose a certain game is really only achieved via foxtel; not streaming.
    Can't rely on FTA as usually there are 3 x NRL and 4 x AFL games per round; so for local sport, Foxtel are still the winner (outside coronavirus days).
    all foxtel channels are available via iptv streaming, along with channels from every major country....

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (06-05-20),RedXT (07-05-20),Tiny (06-05-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Had poxhell and ditched it because of lack of decent programming and ads. For less than the cost of their package, I've now got Netflix and a couple of others.
    Same here.

I couldn't give a shit if all television disappeared. I rarely watch it. The Mrs and daughter who do also complained that it cost a fortune for all the channels to get the programs they wanted to watch and then they had to put up with minutes and minutes of ads at ones. They flicked it and got netflix.

I prefer Youtube because I can choose exactly what I want to watch. WWII Docos on Fighter planes, Car shows, look up how to do or fix something, Knife and Gun Channels, Landscaping and gardening, Steam trains and old engines... it's all there when every you want it and what ever you want. No waiting for it to come on, it's there when you are ready and it's always as up to date info as you can get.

I haven't watched TV much since the days of the old Optus Box. I found and looked after a lost Kid once and got him back to the parents. Father had these hacked cards and brought one round and put it in our box so we got all the channels. That was really good till they stopped the boxes.

One thing that shits me to tears with TV is I like to watch it in low Light. The cheap arse retarded remotes have black buttons on a black housing with tiny and fking illegible characters so you can't see the damn things. Why no propeller head came up with some sort of backlit or LCD controller for the sets that you can actually see in low light is beyond me. When I do sit down to watch the box, that alone shit me enough to nearly drive the fking remote right through the stupid set and be done with it.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

hca (07-05-20),VroomVroom (07-05-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    Now when it Comes to Galaxy and TARBS all Murdock and Co dirty tricks were used to get rid of competition.
    Austar was also taken over by Foxtel

Murdock was always about squeezing out the competition .... and or taking them over ... because in the past he was to big to fight against (with Lawyers and Accountants trying to maximize every dollar) .... but not any more

He recently did a big deal to sell off a lot of his pay TV companies (to Disney I think ? could be wrong on that) in other parts of the word .... basically putting up a white flag saying he could not compete against the likes of Google, Apple, Netflix etc...

He kept Fox News because Donald trump was reported to have asked Murdock not to sell it in the US

And he Kept Foxtel in Australia (not sure if he still has Sky UK etc ... or not)

He may cash in his chips in Australia too if he cannot win against the competition ....

Satellite Pay TV delivery is very expensive compared to Internet Pay TV delivery .... but there are still a lot of people who would still need Satellite delivery because internet is not good enough in their area

Question is can Foxtel subscriptions pay to keep the satellite delivery and still make a profit ...
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 06-05-20 at 06:01 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OSIRUS For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (07-05-20),Tiny (07-05-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

The fact is that services such as Foxtel are obsolete, and hanging on essentially through Sport. Foxtel can survive, but it is going to have to adapt. There may be an opportunity for it in the current fragmentation of streaming services. If it is able to do deals with a number of the services they may be able to offer better value than multiple direct subscriptions. They are competing not only with much cheaper services but also with other media and activities.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

enf (06-05-20),Johnno (06-05-20),LeroyPatrol (06-05-20),Mr 672A (07-05-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    Same here.

I couldn't give a shit if all television disappeared. I rarely watch it. The Mrs and daughter who do also complained that it cost a fortune for all the channels to get the programs they wanted to watch and then they had to put up with minutes and minutes of ads at ones. They flicked it and got netflix.

I prefer Youtube because I can choose exactly what I want to watch. WWII Docos on Fighter planes, Car shows, look up how to do or fix something, Knife and Gun Channels, Landscaping and gardening, Steam trains and old engines... it's all there when every you want it and what ever you want. No waiting for it to come on, it's there when you are ready and it's always as up to date info as you can get.

I haven't watched TV much since the days of the old Optus Box. I found and looked after a lost Kid once and got him back to the parents. Father had these hacked cards and brought one round and put it in our box so we got all the channels. That was really good till they stopped the boxes.

One thing that shits me to tears with TV is I like to watch it in low Light. The cheap arse retarded remotes have black buttons on a black housing with tiny and fking illegible characters so you can't see the damn things. Why no propeller head came up with some sort of backlit or LCD controller for the sets that you can actually see in low light is beyond me. When I do sit down to watch the box, that alone shit me enough to nearly drive the fking remote right through the stupid set and be done with it.

I have to agree 100%, there is no pleasure in it any more.
    I saw discovery and history channel repeat their repertoires when I was plugging eeproms into an Austar box years ago. After that there has been nothing left to watch. More enjoyment in hacking it than watching it.

Since HDMI has been common on PCs and Tvs, the decoders were just unplugged to make way for tiny PCs and hard disks because the TV was a bigger cheaper monitor complete with sound, in subsequent clean ups the STBs ended up out in the shed cupboards where they have been for years.

I think internet really means the end for broadcasters, only BB keeps it alive to retain control over the minions and serfs until they get the full control of the remaining 10% of the internet.

Here only the C band boxes remained operational on the little TV in the shed for the occasional time I feel like messing about with them or seeing what up in the world, else there's heaps of good programing out on Youtube these days on all sorts of interesting subjects, and plenty of better live news channels.

But life's better without TV, better without the indoctrination, all the negative shit and carry on, there is no point worrying about what you have no solution for, so there nothing to be gained from knowing about it in the first place. And did I mention the never ending repeating FFFFFing adds!

After 4 years I pulled out the vast box to keep an eye on the covid issue, but a day of it working again is enough, blood is pressure up already!

And remotes I agree too , always upside down, too small, lost in the bed or the wrong bloody one. I just want switches back! Fortunately using a computer you don't need the remote very often.

Thanks

I have a streaming service that has all the fox sports channels and the espn aussie channels plus more, so much better

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by efab View Post
    I have a streaming service that has all the fox sports channels and the espn aussie channels plus more, so much better
    Yup, plenty of Free Android Apps provide all of the above and it is in HD (well its better than Foxtel SD anyway)
    Last edited by ol' boy; 07-05-20 at 09:54 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks

only reason i still have it is for the sports and the boss's crime shows

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast