Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Life and times of a black hole

Thanks

Quarks have been a hobby of mine for quite some time , The building blocks of what we see around us.
    I used the word in a scrabble game 40 years ago and had to fight like mad to prove it was a valid word .

Now I see they are finally moving into the real reasons quarks slow down in the presence of proton neutron pairs and of course thats exactly whats now being demonstrated from data out of CERN and similar.

I wonder what speed quarks might slow to in the material comprising a black mass ? It would certainly demonstrate the potential for completely new states of matter inside there.

Interesting also because the same basic laws of physics involved in that area may well be involved in the movement of electrons in superconductors. Now if we get some insight into superconductors at warmer temperatures the whole game changes.

Last edited by tytower; 21-02-19 at 05:32 PM.
    My Health , my Family and my Property are not Government business. Governments should do what they were designed to do . Govern the issues that are best done by a central body in the country to protect it from foreign invasion.State Governments and Local Councils should be abolished to stop the duplication and waste of funds.

To defeat corruption in the public service , give them three times the penalty. Have them agree on hiring.

Thanks

Black masses are getting fashionable it seems . There is a bit on the below site that gives an overall explanation of where they think they are now and a TV coverage coming up .

watch Catalyst tonight on ABC TV at 8.30pm AEDT or catch up on .

Last edited by tytower; 26-02-19 at 06:48 AM.
    My Health , my Family and my Property are not Government business. Governments should do what they were designed to do . Govern the issues that are best done by a central body in the country to protect it from foreign invasion.State Governments and Local Councils should be abolished to stop the duplication and waste of funds.

To defeat corruption in the public service , give them three times the penalty. Have them agree on hiring.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Isn't it amusing how they don't support much of what you have said on this page?
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Thanks

Way back at the start of this thread I speculated that a galaxy and indeed the universe ,might be never ending in that it compresses in , explodes out and compresses in again . I speculated that energy and matter were coming out from the poles of black masses and being hurled deep into space before it was becoming even visible .
    This is now being shown to be what is happening again and again by researchers . Here is another one

"We hypothesize that these chimneys are exhaust vents for all the energy released at the center of the galaxy," Morris said.
    Last edited by tytower; 25-03-19 at 03:39 PM.

Thanks

Drum roll folks .......
    Tytower is about to make an announcement of how he predicted tomorrow's news. (after the news is released)

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

Tiny (10-04-19)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    Drum roll folks .......
    Tytower is about to make an announcement of how he predicted tomorrow's news. (after the news is released)
    Hope you don't mind if I steal his funfair.

'Something no human has seen before': The first-ever photograph of a black hole will likely be unveiled next week
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Drum roll, tada!
    Here it is, first ever picture of a black hole.
    Disappointing really.

WASHINGTON, April 10 (Reuters) - An international scientific team on Wednesday announced a milestone in astrophysics - the first-ever photo of a black hole - using a global network of telescopes to gain insight into celestial objects with gravitational fields so strong no matter or light can escape.
    The team's observations of the black hole at the center of Messier 87, a massive galaxy in the nearby Virgo galaxy cluster, lend strong support to the theory of general relativity put forward in 1915 by physicist Albert Einstein to explain the laws of gravity and their relation to other natural forces.
    The research was conducted by the Event Horizon Telescope (EHT) project, an international collaboration begun in 2012 to try to directly observe the immediate environment of a black hole using a global network of Earth-based telescopes. The announcement was made in simultaneous news conferences in Washington, Brussels, Santiago, Shanghai, Taipei and Tokyo.
    "We have achieved something presumed to be impossible just a generation ago," said astrophysicist Sheperd Doeleman, director of the Event Horizon Telescope at the Center for Astrophysics, Harvard & Smithsonian.

This black hole resides about 54 million light-years from Earth. A light year is the distance light travels in a year, 5.9 trillion miles (9.5 trillion km).
    Black holes, phenomenally dense celestial entities, are extraordinarily difficult to observe despite their great mass. A black hole's event horizon is the point of no return beyond which anything - stars, planets, gas, dust and all forms of electromagnetic radiation - gets swallowed into oblivion.
    "This is a huge day in astrophysics," said U.S. National Science Foundation Director France Córdova. "We're seeing the unseeable."

The fact that black holes do not allow light to escape makes viewing them difficult. The scientists look for a ring of light - disrupted matter and radiation circling at tremendous speed at the edge of the event horizon - around a region of darkness representing the actual black hole. This is known as the black hole's shadow or silhouette.
    Astrophysicist Dimitrios Psaltis of the University of Arizona, the EHT project scientist, said, "The size and shape of the shadow matches the precise predictions of Einstein’s general theory of relativity, increasing our confidence in this century-old theory."
    "Imaging a black hole is just the beginning of our effort to develop new tools that will enable us to interpret the massively complex data that nature gives us," Psaltis added.
    The project's researchers obtained the first data in April 2017 using telescopes in the U.S. states of Arizona and Hawaii as well as in Mexico, Chile, Spain and Antarctica. Since then, telescopes in France and Greenland have been added to the global network. The global network of telescopes has essentially created a planet-sized observational dish.

source & article:
    Last edited by Tiny; 11-04-19 at 10:08 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

When is Trump going to visit one?
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    When is Trump going to visit one?
    He doesn't need to, there is one in his head.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

JJJ's DrKarl is talking about this lastest break through currently for those interested.
    On his weekly 1 hour science segment

Available on podcast too I guess
    Last edited by ol' boy; 11-04-19 at 03:04 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

So now we have found this Black Hole.....
    How do we get our Politicians to closely inspect it?
    Last edited by ol' boy; 11-04-19 at 12:56 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

Default handshakes

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    So now we have found this Black Hole.....
    How do we get our Politicians to closely inspect it?
    convince them theres a mill$ for every one who shakes anothers hand in front of it with a photo ,,lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Disappointing really.
    It is a little bit underwhelming.
    But maybe something interesting will develop from it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (12-04-19)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

An explanation why we see the photo of the Black Hole for Dummies like me
    Go to the Explanation at the bottom of the article
    Last edited by allover; 12-04-19 at 09:30 AM.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

• The Following User Says Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

Tiny (12-04-19)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

These videos give some easily understandable explanation of how all this was achieved.

Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

Clearly you guys are all losers . You didn't start the thread . I did in 2008. 11 years ago.
    You didn't follow it through despite the crap being thrown . Just knocked all the way through .
    I made speculations based on what I could see . Not the rubbish beliefs that you lot seem to refuse to scrutinise .

Well go get on with it .
    Its there for every reader to see that what i have speculated is being born out and that will continue to happen into the future .

For any reader who wishes to review it in the future simply block the posts of the knockers first ,read through then consider what I have said.
    Its a very interesting subject and that interest is on the increase so more of the truth will come out .Keep in mind as interest swings to this so will the university handout seekers and a lot of bullshit will be thrown in by them in an endevour to secure finance.

The fact remains though that we will never see one .
    Last edited by tytower; 02-05-19 at 08:05 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tytower View Post
    Clearly you guys are all losers.
    Now there's a dummy spit that NORAD is now tracking.

Last edited by trash; 02-05-19 at 08:29 PM.

Thanks

This black hole weighs a staggering 2.25 billion solar masses. Can you imagine that? And we'll likely be there in a few hundred Million years or so .
    We should be able to see (or should that be not see) it ourselves up close if our genes can survive that long.

Last edited by tytower; 13-08-19 at 06:22 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tytower View Post
    And we'll likely be there in a few hundred Million years or so .
    We should be able to see (or should that be not see) it ourselves up close.
    No.

Not ever.

This demonstrates a profound misunderstanding of how big space is and how far away NGC3258 is.
    130 Million light years is so far away that nothing from this galaxy will ever go there. (except photons)
    Even if the Star Trek technology was magically possible tomorrow, nobody is leaving this Galaxy.

With the expansion of the universe, this Galaxy is moving away from us at about 3000km every second.
    I know people who have not traveled that far in the entire life.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

Tiny (14-08-19),tristen (13-08-19)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    No.

Not ever.

This demonstrates a profound misunderstanding of how big space is and how far away NGC3258 is.
    130 Million light years is so far away that nothing from this galaxy will ever go there. (except photons)
    Even if the Star Trek technology was magically possible tomorrow, nobody is leaving this Galaxy.

With the expansion of the universe, this Galaxy is moving away from us at about 3000km every second.
    I know people who have not traveled that far in the entire life.
    The most annoying thing of my life will be that I won't live long enough to have the technology available to send me to the massive back hole in the centre of OUR galaxy and enter it at a very fast orbit, basically matching it's orbit so I can gradually decend.

... and I WILL survive, you can all watch, but I won't tell you what's inside
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 31-08-19 at 12:20 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (31-08-19),irritant (02-09-19)

• Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast