Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Music Notes!! A pretty Global language!!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,972 Times in 1,529 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Absolutely! My madness travels very deep =)
    I'll just quote myself ...and follow with.."Compliment and complement are commonly confused terms because they're pronounced alike and originally shared some meanings."

When it comes to music/sound, a lot of the time both or either word can be used to convey meaning...ie; 'The silence in the room complimented the soloist's vocalizations' ..or.. 'The silence in the room complemented the soloist's vocalizations' ...both are valid ; I didn't mention if the room was empty or not. Iirc this goes back to a HS music exam, where the trick question was posed...'When considering "Dueling Banjos", do the instruments complement or compliment each other?'....the correct answer is 'both'. Of course here above, I've grasped onto compliment and played with it...(thankfully fester picked up on the muse =)

I wonder if....oh goodgrief, they're all there...originally I was only thinking about some music notes/sounds that would instantly be recognized for long time inhabitants of the people's republic of Qld....... but now that I think about it, I can encapsulate topic line into a self-reflective thing...this'll take some editing...I'll cut it with ardour first...

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

That looks like a Moog Synth that I was taken to see at Adelaide Uni back in the 70's!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    That looks like a Moog Synth that I was taken to see at Adelaide Uni back in the 70's!
    The 70's were the hey-days of analog synths ; they got better but more digital at the same time...one might draw an analogy to the advert of the electric guitar.

In the comments on that YT vid..."It made me smile to read "I have no idea what this patch will do...it's all generative""....this is so very true for synth patches (hard or soft synth) ~ you have some idea of what direction the music will travel, and what the various 'instruments' (voices') sound like, but absolutely no idea what it's going to do when you set it free running ; in a way, you're forming music out of chaos.

Banned
    Thanks

Sorry if this should be a separate thread!!?? but since I started this post, people have learnt that I am a 'Folkie' musician,
    and was wondering if most people here knew what that meant!! (I'm sure that a lot here DO know though. No offense)...
    Generally, 'Folk' music just means 'people' music, but is a generalized term that mainly incorporates traditional Irish, Scottish,
    English tunes & songs "of old", but can & does incorporate other types, like certain Types of Country music. For example, John
    Denver was considered a 'folk' musician, as well as a 'country' performer... Sometimes, the Boundaries can be a bit indistinct,
    and can be a matter opinion, but the real 'Trad' stuff is not!! Tammy Winnette's "D-I-V-O-R-C-E" is certainly NOT though!! xox

Our general playing includes a vast array of instruments too, from Classical Guitars, Mandolins, Banjos, Accordions, Harps, Flutes,
    Harmonicas, Violins, including specific 'Drum' instruments like the Bodran, pronounced "Bowran". Although specific individuals can
    & do play in small groups on-stage, and plugged-in, for the likes of 'Bush-Dances' etc., the vast majority of us play un-plugged,
    in loose un-staged groups, usually with one or two 'starting' the tune/song, and then everyone else joins in !! A good atmosphere!

We know it is NOT everyone's "cup of tea", but is very family oriented, and makes for a lively interaction in the likes of Beer Gardens
    and other venues. The main theme is to always promote/accept/invite other players to come along & play, as well as for any visitors
    to sing along too if it's a song, and they know it!! We never judge those who are new, or just learning, and help them when we can.
    That includes giving young kids a variety of simple 'instruments', so that they feel they are contributing. It doesn't detract from what
    we are really doing, and hopefully makes a little dent in the minds of the kids who maybe one day take over!!!

Since I left Adelaide, (where I was 'spoilt' with such venues & camaraderie!!), we have not found much in our region of W.A. !!
    Just recently though, I've found & played with an Irish Singer/Player, who knows others, who know others!! that would like to try and
    set up something locally. We (and others!) have now found 30 or so people that may either play, or come along for support. So myself,
    and my 'Missus', have made arrangements with a particular venue, where we are friends with management/owners, to have a trial !!
    I've made an initial 'Flyer' here, (small version), that the owner has also put in 40 accommodation rooms, as well as elsewhere...

Hopefully, we can start a new trend over here, not to mention making myself feel like I can still contribute something while I'm still
    on this Planet!! regardless of my current medical condition & suffering. It will bring back so many good memories too !!!

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

In Germany I came in contact with a lot of 'Folkies'.
    Here in Australia I find things more Country oriented, which I am NOT so fond of, except when some players dare to play instrumental solos on guitar and banjo.

This is an example of the type of Folk music I like (well I consider it Folk), a German band called Faun:

I always liked Medieval and Celtic music, so yes I would listen to Steeleye Span and AC/DC side by side in the 70's as a teenager.
    And of course for me the most definitive form of Folk is Blues.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member
    Thanks

Sorry if this should be a separate thread!!??
    Further - you should perhaps have started such a thread on a different forum, specifically one that entertains a charter for traditional/folk music discussion. That's because.... "Welcome to Austech.info, Australia's most diverse technology forums. Popular topics include TomTom,iGo,Garmin,DVB,DVB-T,DVB-S,,satellite,dreambox,cable,xbox ..." ...which means most all folks locally/globally who visit this site, do so for the purposes of providing or sourcing electronic/technical information - that is the focus of this forum.

That is to say, doing what you propose here in this forum, will largely fall on deaf ears...or more succinctly, won't reach the ears of those you're looking to discuss such with...ie; do followers of folk music come to this forum/site, to discuss that (musical focus) topic? No...they don't.... it's not a forum/site focused on folk/traditional music, and if you start a thread like that, here, you're going to end up with posts wrt 'electro-folk' or 'folktronica' -- this is a technology forum, not a music forum. You will know when you've found such a music focused forum -- most all of the thread sections will be dedicated to music, and in the 'General Chat' section you'll find threads/posts about about technology....maybe...and there likely won't be an automotive discussion thread either =) That is why this thread descended into a technical discussion ~ it's an electronics/technical discussion forum.

I can give you a practical example ~ I don't spend time typing out a technical discussion about the ins & outs of modifying the valvebody of an automatic transmission, to post on a forum like this, because the reading audience isn't there -- nobody here will really appreciate my/that effort...it's not an automotive focused forum...and hardly anyone (in the world) will come here looking for that (automotive) info. As it stands, I have already typed out such a dissertation on another automotive focused forum...and the thread's more than 35pages long, and had over 37,000 views. Likewise I don't start a culinary threads here espousing details of cooking recipes, or the creation of the peanut butter, Milo & ice-cream sandwich (don't knock it! It's reminiscent of eating a Peter's DrumStick =) ...because this is not a foodie forum ; you have to define your audience target. End of the day, you really want to post in the 'Folk' section, of an online forum with a focus on music...that simple. In this way, your written word will be read by others also into folk music ; it is what it is.

It looks like the aussie folk music forum has established itself on FB, but if you google 'online music forum', you'll find a forum like this with the appropriate audience/focus, where your discussion wrt to folk music will be better appreciated/welcomed by the (global) reading audience.

which I am NOT so fond of, except when some players dare to play instrumental solos on guitar and banjo
    LoL....it's about the only 2 genres I have little time for either ... country AND western....but the Wall of Voodoo cover of Johnny Cash's "" is another matter...nice guitar solo 8)

LSemmens
    Thanks

Of course, wotnot, given that this thread has generated 67 replies as of now, there is some interest in music here. Connecting with like minded individuals may well be better done in another forum. but, sometimes, serendipity will allow you to meet others of like mindedness in other contexts.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (15-05-22),wotnot (15-05-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Of course, wotnot, given that this thread has generated 67 replies as of now, there is some interest in music here. Connecting with like minded individuals may well be better done in another forum. but, sometimes, serendipity will allow you to meet others of like mindedness in other contexts.
    True....but horses for courses ; we might talk about motorbikes here, but I'll head over to netrider forums instead if I really want to talk bikes, because it's the premier and largest Australian online motorcycle community...not AusTech =)

But whatever.... lets do some folktronica for good measure before I get intro the electro-folk =)

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (15-05-22)

LSemmens
    Thanks

True....but horses for courses ; we might talk about motorbikes here, but I'll head over to netrider forums instead if I really want to talk bikes, because it's the premier and largest Australian online motorcycle community...not AusTech =)

But whatever.... lets do some folktronica for good measure before I get intro the electro-folk =)

Oh! You are norty! Must resist!!!!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Is this the 'ultimate' expression of the topic line?.... =)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

There is a lot of interest in music here and there exists even a dedicated "Movie and MUSIC discussion" forum located under "Miscellaneous"

While the topic of this thread is about recognising music as a language(connecting people) I find it is equally qualified to be under general chat that does not need to encompass technology.

Folk brings a lot of people together so does rock.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    There is a lot of interest in music here and there exists even a dedicated "Movie and MUSIC discussion" forum located under "Miscellaneous"

While the topic of this thread is about recognising music as a language(connecting people) I find it is equally qualified to be under general chat that does not need to encompass technology.

Respectfully disagree, but then subject to a temporal caveat....ie; topic line is broad and general, no problem with this thread being here at all...however, as can clearly be seen, the OP's intent here has more drifted towards the 'muso', and then to sub category 'folk' music....and wrt to the charter of this -forum-...while keeping topic here fed...it's tantamount to entertaining Peter, Paul & Mary, being the support band for a Def Leppard concert =) I'll respect topic line, just watch me...however I full well know that's likely not what the OP wanted to discuss... verstehe?

However, perhaps my intent in previous post has been misconstrued? Simple English....when I saw the OP write "Hopefully, we can start a new trend over here, not to mention making myself feel like I can still contribute something while I'm still on this Planet!! regardless of my current medical condition & suffering. It will bring back so many good memories too !!!" ...my immediate, 'heart felt' response is one of "well, don't waste your time here in this regard, where the % of ppl really interested in this stuff is so low -- go somewhere where such contributions really matter to the reading audience, and you may contribute in a more meaningful way ; I'm trying to obtrude upon the OP, that what he seeks from an online forum is not really provided by -this- forum....the forum with the 'correct' charter to achieve and maximize OP's personal goals here, looks like this...

I was trying to be charitable, steering the OP towards a venue where he'll get the most 'bang for your buck' from the words and thoughts you're rendering into type. If timing is everything, then venue comes next.

Oh! You are norty! Must resist!!!!
    LoL...cheeky wee bastard (man after my own heart =) Who was it that recently went on a bike ride, and shared some of that experience here in this forum....whilst hoisting the full/whole story on another site, which is more focused on that sort of activity? Tell me...was it here, or there...that you noticed the most reader interest/participation? =)

Now...back to topic.... time for some Celtic electro folk ....

lsemmens (15-05-22)

Thanks

Sounds like stuff I do today when I switch on my computer in the music room. Basically an arp. My favourite VST plugin for arp stuff like that is Avenger Vengeance. You can find it on goaudio.me to 'try out' if you like. I only use Reaper as my DAW since 15 odd years now I guess. Everything just integrates with it very well.
    I never record anything these days as it is the computer doing the music, not me. I just program some arps and the find the right parameters to assign the analog knobs on my controller, press a few keys and away we go, while turning the knobs and pressing a few other keys. It is just for my personal entertainment.

1989 on the other hand, I never touched a sequencer, always played everything by hand.
    I remember doing this with all the dubs and hand entered(dodgy) percussion in 20minutes. What style would you classify this, could this be folk music somewhere?

This is playable without downloading:
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 15-05-22 at 06:24 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

wotnot (16-05-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks

What style would you classify this, could this be folk music somewhere?
    calypso.electronic.ethnic.dance ...you likely gain 'folk' from the Afro.Caribbean roots =)
    Last edited by wotnot; 15-05-22 at 06:55 PM.

Uncle Fester (15-05-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Seeing as they've been in the news of late... some Ukrainian electro folk ...

Uncle Fester (15-05-22)

Thanks

Seeing as they've been in the news of late... some Ukrainian electro folk ...

Definitely hits a nerve.
    Sounds like what I would be singing on a liberation march to hell.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 15-05-22 at 10:17 PM.

wotnot (15-05-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Wrt to the focus of this forum, and carrying forward topic here...once upon a time, these music notes carried a pretty global language...

=)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Banned
    Thanks

Thank you Uncle Fester, for your kind words.
    I've been involved with many 'technical' discussions here on this Forum, but as soon as I say something on a subject, a certain person doesn't
    like, (me talking about), even though in the 'General Chat' area, 'he' seems to delight in spending ages, typing long denigrating & unfriendly responses??
    I must be dumb, as I do not understand the degree of negativity?? There are SO many other topics here, (under General Chat), like...
    Russian War, (Slaughter!!), Covid, Cricketers, Urine bugs, English Law, Passports, Pensions, Daylight Saving, Aircraft, the Foo Fighters, Footy Tipping,
    Mardi Gras, Battle Cries, Need a New Shirt, Tennis, 'Be My Baby' Singer, Snow-Cats, Lightening, Halloween... etc... etc... etc... etc... etc...

It's 'funny' that I 'NEVER' see any negative comments from those 'certain' people about those??? Maybe THEY should have also looked elsewhere for discussions??
    Instead of starting yet another Post, I made a comment in the one that I started!! being about Music as an 'International Language'... I had since then explained,
    what I meant about that, but basically how many people, from all walks of life, can get together & 'make' music together, be it in your 'taste' or not...
    I would 'expect' that someone who opposes what I say, or how/where I am saying it, would simply disagree... But to repeatedly go on for paragraph after paragraph
    to be so generally condescending simply leaves me aghast, and apart from wondering what their 'real' motive is, well they can be 'happy' in knowing that you have
    left me feeling like a piece of Shit! I'm just a 'mere' human, (compared to others!!), who hasn't got long to go, who likes to chat & share knowledge at times.
    I'm so sorry I ruined their day...I wish they could experience mine!!

P.S. (To certain other bullies)... 77 replies, and 1700 views.... Find someone else to pick on for a change, or maybe use a Magnifying Glass on some Ants??
    Last edited by Ah-Those-Old-Days!; 18-05-22 at 10:22 PM.

Thanks

@Ah-Those-Old-Days, to quote somebody who quotes them self:

Absolutely! My madness travels very deep =)
    I am not unsimilarly mad(negating a negated word is proof in the pudding) and I get some of Wotnot's points but I am also biased (because he is in reality a really nice guy) but we all have our moments and want to speak our mind. I also appreciate attention to detail.

I would go so far to see at least some Aspergers there, we can get insulting sometimes without meaning to, just the way we express things we want to say which I see as a true form of freedom of speech.

The crux of the biscuit may not so much be against you but more concern that your efforts about a specialised music topic would be in vain with this crowd here.
    Wotnot and I disagree sometimes but I never feel insulted, unlike some shady members like Al Bundy, who regularly just picks me out to insult me. As an example my sig(in red) below is a quote from a typical response from him but maybe he is right. I don't care.

...and to quote our Master Admin from the past: "Harden the f### up", well I am still working on that but despite my exposure to this forum I am afraid I never will.

Anyhow AH-Those-Old-Days, don't give up on us.
    I think both you and Wotnot are true upgrades here
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 19-05-22 at 12:06 AM.

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (21-05-22)

• Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast