Thread: Anyone really knowledgeable about OneDrive around ?

Thanks

Default Anyone really knowledgeable about OneDrive around ?

The bloke who used to be my (remote) IT Support left me with some weird problems after I let him go.
    I'm not a fan of The Cloud because (a) I don't need it and (b) it uses a frightening amount of power. But he, having supplied me with a new laptop, decided off his own bat to "back up" (as he told me later) my data to it simply because my Microsoft account provides me with uncountable free space therein. I had neither asked nor wanted him to do this.
    It transpired that while he was doing this I was thrown off-line. On two successive days, because after I'd shut down on the first and opened up again on the second I was back on-line. Until he started "backing up" again. When I said I found the coincidence of being thrown off the Internet on both occasions of his "back-ups" very strange he was astonishingly rude, told me to call my provider and broke the connection.
    So I tried pausing the backup and, scarcely surprisingly I thought, was back on-line !
    So not only was I having my small and unimpressive to the world amount of data backed up to The Cloud when I didn't want it there, but the process was problematic and taking forever. I stopped the upload and so was able to remain online.
    But I was a total dickhead and tried to get my data back from The Cloud.
    Turns out that rather than its having been backed up there, it had become entrenched forever and my original data files were now the backup ! - because I think I've lost my data forever.
    The really weird thing is that SOME of my photos are still accessible .. I've really no idea what I've done - other than that it was stupid beyond description.
    So. With apologies for the length of this: can anyone offer me anything constructive about my situation ? Is what's gone, gone forever ?
    I'll tell thee everything I can: there's little to relate ...

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks

see if you have a recovery point at a time before the problem occurred

Premium Member
    Thanks

do a search for this on google "recovery from the cloud"

• The Following User Says Thank You to dai For This Useful Post:

M-R (18-05-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dai View Post

do a search for this on google "recovery from the cloud"
    I had fleetingly thought of this, somewhere along the line, but not a lot sticks in the ancient brain.
    Much gratitude: you give me some reason to hope (in a minor kind of way) !

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I can only commiserate, M-R I have NO experience with the cloud at all. IF it ain't on one of my computers or external drives I haven't got it backed up!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

wotnot (18-05-22)

Thanks

Talking

Lee Semmens, your commiseration is definitely worth having.
    However, I will confess to having seen you there and instantly started wondering whether I first addressed you as 'Leigh' and you corrected me, or the other way 'round ..
    If you get my drift.
    See how old I have become ? [grin]

Premium Member
    Thanks

i stopped trouble shooting 14 years ago when i started having problems remembering things i have the cloud but have never tied to access it i do backups to a external h/d
    check this

• The Following User Says Thank You to dai For This Useful Post:

M-R (18-05-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I can only commiserate, M-R I have NO experience with the cloud at all. IF it ain't on one of my computers or external drives I haven't got it backed up!

Yeah... the only cloud service I use is gphotos ; it's the only thing I need a backup for (and seeing as you only get 15gb for free, one can periodically archive a year or 2 of images and just download to USB stick or external drive to free up gphoto storage space. With windows, ppl tend to back up the entire system (in linux, separate drive mountpoint for /home you don't care about boot/system drive at all 8)

I found this ....that's either archaic or stupid ...ie; cloud or not, a 'backup' should never delete/modify existing original source files ; I mean, I won't go near windows anyway and never knew about that onedrive behaviour wrt the cloud storage I found, but now that I know, I appreciate more why I'll never use windows =)

That said, I think I can see what's gone on ~ the cloud backup process choked the inet connection (at a guess) ; the backup...what's there at least...is very likely incomplete, out of sync (with local machine), and going to be a pita that some windows technician is going to make some $$$ from to sort out...if possible....even if it isn't possible, you'll be paying for that news as well. IMHO...it's a rort, pure and simple (at least for the average home user) ; in business/enterprise environments it may have some worth....but I'm with you -- if it's not local to you and backed-up on another storage device kept in a metal box, you don't have a backup...that simple. In this case, M$ has your backup....eeeww...

Wrt 'personal computing' and a windows laptop, the only backup strategy that 'makes sense' to me, is hope the lappy has a (micro)sdcard slot, buy the best quality class10 or better sdcard to stick in the slot, and redirect the gaggle of 'My Documents/Downloads/Photos/Videos etc to that drive media, so all this stuff gets written to the sdcard ...(one can pop the card out for a new one every 6/12months, the card you remove is your backup)...plus if you need send the machine away for service (or RMA), pop the card out and your personal data stays with you - service ppl never get it....like I say, 'makes sense'.

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

M-R (18-05-22)

Thanks

From your hyperlink I drilled down a wee bit and found this, did some searching.
    All the file management is still there, but everything is empty. It's like when you're in Excel and you want to delete some table, but when you hit delete only the data go.
    That's what I've managed to do, I think.
    Still, if I can find someone who's up-to-date on this VILE aspect of Windows and who would work remotely to get in here and check it out for me, you never know ..
    You just feel, pessimistically, fairly sure ..

Thanks

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    {...}

That said, I think I can see what's gone on ~ the cloud backup process choked the inet connection (at a guess) ; the backup...what's there at least...is very likely incomplete, out of sync (with local machine), and going to be a pita that some windows technician is going to make some $$$ from to sort out...if possible....even if it isn't possible, you'll be paying for that news as well. IMHO...it's a rort, pure and simple (at least for the average home user) ; in business/enterprise environments it may have some worth....but I'm with you -- if it's not local to you and backed-up on another storage device kept in a metal box, you don't have a backup...that simple. In this case, M$ has your backup....eeeww...

Wrt 'personal computing' and a windows laptop, the only backup strategy that 'makes sense' to me, is hope the lappy has a (micro)sdcard slot, buy the best quality class10 or better sdcard to stick in the slot, and redirect the gaggle of 'My Documents/Downloads/Photos/Videos etc to that drive media, so all this stuff gets written to the sdcard ...(one can pop the card out for a new one every 6/12months, the card you remove is your backup)...plus if you need send the machine away for service (or RMA), pop the card out and your personal data stays with you - service ppl never get it....like I say, 'makes sense'.
    I'm not a backup person, I'm not ashamed to say. I just don't have stuff, any more, that requires being backed up. Your solution is, howsomever, a sensible one; and in the days when I had partitioned my HD so that I had both C: and D: (data), I did backup the D: drive.
    As the years passed and nothing ever happened, and the bloke who used to give me IT support didn't want to partition the hard drive any more, he transferred my data to a file he called Documents. That's what's now, like, empty. My fault, because I believed him when he told me it was only a backup on the cloud. I'd like to throttle him; but the fact remains I should've found out more.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by M-R View Post
    I'm not a backup person, I'm not ashamed to say. I just don't have stuff, any more, that requires being backed up. Your solution is, howsomever, a sensible one; and in the days when I had partitioned my HD so that I had both C: and D: (data), I did backup the D: drive.
    As the years passed and nothing ever happened, and the bloke who used to give me IT support didn't want to partition the hard drive any more, he transferred my data to a file he called Documents. That's what's now, like, empty. My fault, because I believed him when he told me it was only a backup on the cloud. I'd like to throttle him; but the fact remains I should've found out more.
    Gotcha...yeah, the D: data drive was a reasonable approach ~ I cannot fathom why technician didn't want to partition drive as you requested ; perhaps you should've stood your ground, and said "No. I don't need backups, free or not."

Oh well, live and learn (it never ends =)...so if this is the situation of your personal computing, you'd have no objections to just blowing it all away and exercising the mantra of 'reinstall Windows'...?...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Gotcha...yeah, the D: data drive was a reasonable approach ~ I cannot fathom why technician didn't want to partition drive as you requested ; perhaps you should've stood your ground, and said "No. I don't need backups, free or not."

Oh well, live and learn (it never ends =)...so if this is the situation of your personal computing, you'd have no objections to just blowing it all away and exercising the mantra of 'reinstall Windows'...?...
    Only if it would get my data back .. and he hasn't left me with a disk or anything, anyway.

LSemmens
    Thanks

I'm guessing (NO EXPERIENCE WITH THIS so take it as offered) You should be able to log on to your cloud server with you favourite browser (firefox et. al.) and see the backed up data. If you do manage to retrieve your data, My suggestion is to, at least get a couple of 64Gb (or more) usb sticks and copy your critical documents etc to them. Most of my critical stuff happily resides on one of those. The rest, if I lose it, it will be a nuisance, but that is all. I'd also suggest giving Mr Gates the flick and going with a Linux OS which is free and does not create an unusable system if things go pear shaped. I recommend Linux Mint as their forums are very helpful and can talk you through any issues you may encounter, of course, there're a few of us Linux tragics on here, too.

BTW: it's Leigh though I answer to almost anything including Looney (thanks Al)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I'm guessing (NO EXPERIENCE WITH THIS so take it as offered) You should be able to log on to your cloud server with you favourite browser (firefox et. al.) and see the backed up data. If you do manage to retrieve your data, My suggestion is to, at least get a couple of 64Gb (or more) usb sticks and copy your critical documents etc to them. Most of my critical stuff happily resides on one of those. The rest, if I lose it, it will be a nuisance, but that is all. I'd also suggest giving Mr Gates the flick and going with a Linux OS which is free and does not create an unusable system if things go pear shaped. I recommend Linux Mint as their forums are very helpful and can talk you through any issues you may encounter, of course, there're a few of us Linux tragics on here, too.

BTW: it's Leigh though I answer to almost anything including Looney (thanks Al)
    There now: my memory is as old as I am ! Jesus ..
    We began the Linux journey, you and I; but I piked out for a reason I no longer remember either. Once I get settled in here (moved a month ago) I may well turn up on your AusTech doorstep again, Leigh; so this might be the time to scarper ..

LSemmens
    Thanks

That rings a bell now m-r. I'm also a geriatric so between us, we've probably lost more than a few marbles......

Thanks

Yes, but you are also an idiot ! [grin]

LSemmens
    Thanks

Awwww! I resemble that!