Thread: Advice please LG Dishwasher Error E1

Thanks

Default Advice please LG Dishwasher Error E1

My LG Dishwasher had an E1 error, I researched and found there are a lot of possibilities it could be, it's working again now without a problem and I can not detect any water leaks.

I want to know if I need to be concerned about this as in, will it eventually flood my kitchen?

It's approximately 10 years old, had a heating problem last year, seems to have been resolved with an additional clean, the door springs broke about a month ago, I'm not tech savvy enough to pull the thing apart myself to try and troubleshoot the error and being a 10 yo machine, is it even worth it?

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

You didn't mention the model number, but they are all mostly the same.

E1 is a common error in the LG Dishwasher range and is usually caused by the failure of the circulation pump and/or the impeller.

The motor and impeller are a complete unit.

Often what happens is the impeller breaks on the motor shaft and doesn't spin, therefore doesn't pump water.

There is a pressure sensor which indicates the lack of pressure and shuts the machine down with the E1 error being displayed.

The lack of pressure can also be from a water leak (as the owners manual suggests) also a controller PCB fault may produce an E1 error, however, the pump problem is extremely common.

10 years old... and LG?... you're lucky its lasted this long.

Not worth repairing.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (17-06-19),yazz1972 (15-06-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post

10 years old... and LG?... you're lucky its lasted this long.

Not worth repairing.
    I figured that it wasn't worth trying to fix it, it would probably cost more then buying a new one and yes, I think I am one of the if not the only person whom has had good service from an LG dishwasher.

I hate buying anything unless the old one has totally died, as it is still working for now, do you think it's safe to use until it goes to dishwasher heaven or is it a disaster waiting to happen as in, will it flood my kitchen?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yazz1972 View Post
    ...I think I am one of the if not the only person whom has had good service from an LG dishwasher.

... do you think it's safe to use until it goes to dishwasher heaven or is it a disaster waiting to happen as in, will it flood my kitchen?
    Ten years out of any appliance these days is more than reasonable, even by the ridiculous standards set by the ACL.
    All products fail and LG is not particularly cursed by quality issues. Having spent my entire working life in the repair industry (39 years), I can assure that no brand is immune to failure.
    I've seen the failure rate data for LG dishwasher products and most often the cause is customers thinking the unit is a garbage disposal rather than a dishwasher.
    Impellers and pumps fail more often due to foreign objects causing them to jam.
    Had the pleasure of attending the factory and found out that Australia is one of the worst countries in all the global subsidiaries for failures due to food waste being caught in the machine.

It will probably not flood your kitchen as the inlet solenoid will shut off once a flood error is detected. If you did not see water in the base, MTV is on the money by stating the wash pump has probably failed.
    If the unit has a float switch in the base (model number would help) then the styrofoam may have degraded or the switch has failed causing false triggering to occur.

I am forever curious as to why people think appliances are eternal, only to be discarded when an upgrade is desired.
    Miele, Bosch, and many other perceived "Quality" brands still fail and parts are prohibitively expensive. At least LG parts are reasonably priced.
    If you want a service manual and some troubleshooting documents, PM and I will send them.
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

Thanks

Default Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by TVguy View Post
    Ten years out of any appliance these days is more than reasonable, even by the ridiculous standards set by the ACL.
    All products fail and LG is not particularly cursed by quality issues. Having spent my entire working life in the repair industry (39 years), I can assure that no brand is immune to failure.
    I've seen the failure rate data for LG dishwasher products and most often the cause is customers thinking the unit is a garbage disposal rather than a dishwasher.
    Impellers and pumps fail more often due to foreign objects causing them to jam.
    Had the pleasure of attending the factory and found out that Australia is one of the worst countries in all the global subsidiaries for failures due to food waste being caught in the machine.

It will probably not flood your kitchen as the inlet solenoid will shut off once a flood error is detected. If you did not see water in the base, MTV is on the money by stating the wash pump has probably failed.
    If the unit has a float switch in the base (model number would help) then the styrofoam may have degraded or the switch has failed causing false triggering to occur.

I am forever curious as to why people think appliances are eternal, only to be discarded when an upgrade is desired.
    Miele, Bosch, and many other perceived "Quality" brands still fail and parts are prohibitively expensive. At least LG parts are reasonably priced.
    If you want a service manual and some troubleshooting documents, PM and I will send them.
    I think I have had wonderful service from this dishwasher, seeing it has been moved all over NSW and Qld, installed and uninstalled 5 times and has never missed a beat, I have been very happy with it and will be sad to part with it when it finally stops working.

I have never been guilty of placing an unrinsed plate in any dishwasher let alone this one, I was taught better then that and I respect ALL my belongings.

I am a single mother with very limited tools, I have read manuals and watched youtube videos and am still worried to even change the door springs myself, so thank you for the offer of sending me documents but it would be a waste of your time.

I do not think any appliance is eternal nor do I replace anything in my home until it has truely outlived its usefulness, it literally needs to be falling apart for me to replace anything.

Now I know that it won't flood my kitchen I will continue to use it, as for repairing it, it would more than likely cost me more to call someone out than to purchase a new one.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Actually, Yazz, door springs are pretty simple. The tick is getting the case off the thing in the first place. Another common problem with dishwashers is that people fail to clear the waste traps in them, or you get someone who is "helping" by putting normal dishwashing liquid in them. Sort of like the Front Loader washing machine an conventional laundry powder.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Actually, Yazz, door springs are pretty simple. The tick is getting the case off the thing in the first place. Another common problem with dishwashers is that people fail to clear the waste traps in them, or you get someone who is "helping" by putting normal dishwashing liquid in them. Sort of like the Front Loader washing machine an conventional laundry powder.
    I'm not confident enough to do that on my own. My dishwasher is cleaned every two weeks, all my appliances are, only dishwasher tabs are used in the dishwasher and always have been.

It's probably just worn out, like me , it is used a lot, sometimes it may run twice a day so honestly I'm not surprised it's failing, it's trying to tell me I cook too much I'm sure.

As long as she works I will keep her, I just can't justify replacing an appliance until it totally stops working (as long as she doesn't flood my kitchen), my fridge has been slowly dying for 2 years, I just keep praying it keeps working

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Our first dishwasher lasted over 10 years. That was with 4 healthy kids in the house too. Actually, come to think of it, nearly 15. Same with our first front loader washing machine.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...