Thread: Game wants to update the Wii

Thanks

Default Game wants to update the Wii

Ive searched the net but cant find the answer yet ?

I have a WiiKey 1 Wii running VER3.4E. I have the homebrew channel and can play backup games fine.

I have got a new game "Dance Party Club Hits" and it wants to install an update...my question is:

Is it OK to install this update or will it disable the WiiKey or Homebrew channel ? or worse...brick the Wii...

I tried launching it through Gecko but it didn't work either?

Anybody know ? Appreciate any feedback!
    When In Doubt - Make It Into A Coffee Table.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

+1
    U-sing is also demanding an update before it will work without using the homebrew channel.

Hope someone has an answer!

Thanks

Hey Guys

I downloaded Super Marios 2 for my guys and it wanted to do an update, so I let it. I have managed to "fix" a few wii's in my time and my advice is to my friends who own a wii is...... let it do the update, just don't update the wii operating system and make sure you have the "Connect24" turned off. Easiest way to understand the wii is - think of it like each game has a separate operating system. The Game update is updating a specific iOS that it needs to operate.
    Anyways - I have just "fixed" a black Wii and the hardest part was convincing my young fella to finish the first level of Indiana Jones - and then allow him watch me delete the save...........

f
    有段者

• The Following User Says Thank You to freakee1 For This Useful Post:

troyboy (09-08-10)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by freakee1 View Post
    Easiest way to understand the wii is - think of it like each game has a separate operating system. The Game update is updating a specific iOS that it needs to operate.
    So it wont change the Wii Version to something higher than 3.4E.....Its not touching the system version ? Correct ?

So homebrew and everything should remain working ?

I have the "Connect24" turned off always....

Thanks

Basically.

Modchips work independently of the software system menu. You can update your system menu to your hearts content and the modchip will not be affected. (Apart from the region issue when you go past system menu 4.1).

Softmods / System menu updates is where you have to be careful, depending on what soft-mod you have done and what IOS files you have hacked, running any update on a soft-modded console will most likely render the softmod useless(you will have to re-do it), and it COULD also cause the wii to get bricked.

If you update off a disc make sure the disc region matches your console region.
    IE only run a PAL update off a PAL disc on a PAL console and vice versa. Running a NTSC update from a NTSC disc on a PAL console will result in a brick / semi brick (can't access wii settings).

You can also download the IOS files required by the game manually and install them, not 100% sure how but i know its possible, i refrain from soft-mods system menu hacks because they are a pain, specially since there is no documentation of what has been previously done and customers who "just followed the softmod guide" have no idea either, it makes working on these consoles difficult.

My advice to you TB would be to get the new super mario brothers game and run the update off that which should take your console to 4.1 (you will be able to play all current games on this system menu). You may need to re-soft mod again after this but it should last you a while before you need to rinse and repeat regarding the soft-mods.

There was a update for the Wiikey 1 released by the Wiikey team a little while ago to make the Wiikey 1 compatible with the new mario brothers.

Personally I would get rid of all the soft-mods together and just use your wiikey to play your games.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by urban_s0ulja View Post
    Personally I would get rid of all the soft-mods together and just use your wiikey to play your games.
    Thanks Urban......I dont have any soft mods though....never have....so what I will do is firstly run the update off that disc if its not going to hurt the Wii....Thanks for the advice....

Thanks

Well I put it in and ran the game updated ...Now I have VER 4.2E.....I thought it didn't update the system...now when I put another copied game I get a message saying that if I have a mod that it may disable it ? .... This time I said NO!

Everything seems to be OK...backup games are still working...Homebrew channel is working....WiiBrew says that V4.2 deletes the homebrew channel, so not sure why mine stayed there ?

Thanks

The mods they are talking about are soft/mods soft hacks
    Modchips are undetectable as far as im aware.

Thanks

The mods they are talking about are soft/mods soft hacks
    Modchips are undetectable as far as im aware.
    Oh OK...Softmods only....So I should be able to update my menu to the latest and all will still work.....

Thanks

Basically.

Modchips work independently of the software system menu. You can update your system menu to your hearts content and the modchip will not be affected. (Apart from the region issue when you go past system menu 4.1).

Softmods / System menu updates is where you have to be careful, depending on what soft-mod you have done and what IOS files you have hacked, running any update on a soft-modded console will most likely render the softmod useless(you will have to re-do it), and it COULD also cause the wii to get bricked.

If you update off a disc make sure the disc region matches your console region.
    IE only run a PAL update off a PAL disc on a PAL console and vice versa. Running a NTSC update from a NTSC disc on a PAL console will result in a brick / semi brick (can't access wii settings).

You can also download the IOS files required by the game manually and install them, not 100% sure how but i know its possible, i refrain from soft-mods system menu hacks because they are a pain, specially since there is no documentation of what has been previously done and customers who "just followed the softmod guide" have no idea either, it makes working on these consoles difficult.

My advice to you TB would be to get the new super mario brothers game and run the update off that which should take your console to 4.1 (you will be able to play all current games on this system menu). You may need to re-soft mod again after this but it should last you a while before you need to rinse and repeat regarding the soft-mods.

There was a update for the Wiikey 1 released by the Wiikey team a little while ago to make the Wiikey 1 compatible with the new mario brothers.

i understand where you are going from (no conflict of interest :P)
    soft modding is quite complicated but rewarding if you are successful
    mine is modded and soft modded
    reason: old keys fail updating firmware..
    soft modded wiis can just change the option in GECKO to prevent required updates from happening

• The Following User Says Thank You to sladehk For This Useful Post:

OzBlackKnight (10-08-10)

Thanks

Well I run the update off the "Dance Party Club Hits" and it took almost 5 minutes....but when I rebooted all was good everything was working and its still on 4.2E. Homebrew is also still working.

Thanks

Good Stuff

f
    有段者

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sladehk View Post
    i understand where you are going from (no conflict of interest :P)
    Conflict of interest? Im speaking from experience. (Not just someone thats soft-modded a console and thinks its great - I see both sides of the coin).

I had 2 customers come in only last weekend,
    They paid $140 each to have their consoles unbricked via a Infectus programmer (lucky they had made backups of their nands, many don't)
    + the cost of a mod on top. Ive had plenty of others come in with bricked / semi-bricked consoles some of which were just not repairable because they didn't have any nandbackups.

Its kind of unfortunate for them, but to avoid issues like this is why i don't do soft-mods

Thanks

I'm with Urban on this one.
    Softmods are for people who know what they are doing(& that doesnt include following a guide on the net) & are willing to take some risk for a cost free mod.
    For the average Jo, I would recommend a hardware mod & that way you don't have any headaches & virtually no risk of bricking
    Last edited by Ljay; 11-08-10 at 07:24 PM. Reason: adding text
    PrecisionMods

Thanks

I reckon if you can get the softmod working and a HDD with USB Loader GX working you'll be grinning

It will save alot of dvd's turning into coasters especially around this house.
    I have only just stuffed about with the USB Loader GX the last couple of days and I'm very impressed with the menu and the ability to download the covers.

I only have my backups running off an 4GB USB Stick right now, But I have a 80GB laptop HDD here and hopefully I can get that working once the external HDD case turns up.

Thanks

Which skin is that? I do like that one!

Sorry for the hijack.
    Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of pop tarts and pancake mix.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roguefan99 View Post

Sorry for the hijack.
    thats the one it comes with

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roguefan99 View Post
    It's the default under USB Loader GX.

Thanks

Doh! I thought I was still using USB Loader GX, but I just realised I changed over to Customisable USB loader. Thats why I thought it looked different (there are too many loaders!)
    Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of pop tarts and pancake mix.