Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Default LED Tube replacements?

Hi,

Anyone tried these???

regards

porkop
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to porkop For This Useful Post:

rievax (09-04-11)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Interesting,

will have to check them out, have not seen any installed at work yet.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Just think of a new install that doesnt require a stiff metal frame nor a fragile glass tube and the possibility that the LED's could be mounted on a more flexible backing to allow the mounting to follow the shape or contour of the mounting area.
    Lengths could be tailored to suit a job.
    Fluroescents generaly dont like being bounced about but these should be near vibration proof.
    Remember the old Neon Tubes so popular on outdoor signs of years past. The damn things were very hard to transport but these could be a good replacement.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

told there about $100 each just to save power...I'll probably stick to my old fluro's

• The Following User Says Thank You to humax300 For This Useful Post:

porkop (10-04-11)

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by humax300 View Post
    told there about $100 each just to save power...I'll probably stick to my old fluro's
    Dont blame you at that price but as with many things the price will drop but think about what I said regarding the flexibilty and labour costs of mounting a FLAT LED strip as against a metal rigid fluro because you could just attatch it directly to a batten or whatever the overhead is.
    Compare it to running a 'Rope Light' as against a series of Fluro's along a walkway, stairwell etc.
    Imagine these in a undercover car park, slimmer profile, no need to 'armour' it against being hit and broken,should be totaly waterproof as its encapsulated.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Lager

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Just think of a new install that doesnt require a stiff metal frame nor a fragile glass tube and the possibility that the LED's could be mounted on a more flexible backing to allow the mounting to follow the shape or contour of the mounting area.
    Lengths could be tailored to suit a job.
    Fluroescents generaly dont like being bounced about but these should be near vibration proof.
    Remember the old Neon Tubes so popular on outdoor signs of years past. The damn things were very hard to transport but these could be a good replacement.
    hi Gordon,

I have seen "LED's on a roll/Strip" like you mention on ebay. About $150 for a 5m strip from what I remember. Very good idea but as the LED tubs, also not yet value for money.

My main thinking was for existing Fluro batten replacement, no need to re-wire, fix holes, just replace and save!. Although I will say, the 15/18W LED tubes that I saw would probably not be any advantage as I use 18W flouro's now so a power saving is not apparent?

It seems that all this wonderful technology and planet saving items is just a red flag to the profiteers!

porkop
    Last edited by porkop; 10-04-11 at 10:25 AM. Reason: speeelin mistaks

Thanks

Well... In my last position as an Infrastructure Engineer, I had a project to determine the cost effectiveness and other benefits.
    The number of 1200mm long fluorescent tube to be replaced in one facility was about 350. Taking into account that once installed, they have a life span of about 12 years, so apart from failures, there is no maintenance.
    Our Return On Investment is about 5 years, but the bean counters wanted a max of 3 years... go figure!
    Anyway, the LED replacements us about 1/2 the power, so at 18.25 cents/kWh it doesn't take long to figure out how much power you can save and turn that into $$$.
    The other major benefit in summer, is there is no ballast to suck up power and make even more heat!!!
    I did find that a lot of the samples that I tested, only a couple were rigid enough to not flex in the fitting, eliminating the possibility of popping out.

Cheers,
    Mick.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tech_support For This Useful Post:

porkop (10-04-11)

Premium Member

Thanks

There is no 'Accounting' (pun intended) for Bean counters is there??????

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

porkop (10-04-11)

Premium Lager

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tech_support View Post
    Well... In my last position as an Infrastructure Engineer, I had a project to determine the cost effectiveness and other benefits.
    The number of 1200mm long fluorescent tube to be replaced in one facility was about 350. Taking into account that once installed, they have a life span of about 12 years, so apart from failures, there is no maintenance.
    Our Return On Investment is about 5 years, but the bean counters wanted a max of 3 years... go figure!
    Anyway, the LED replacements us about 1/2 the power, so at 18.25 cents/kWh it doesn't take long to figure out how much power you can save and turn that into $$$.
    The other major benefit in summer, is there is no ballast to suck up power and make even more heat!!!
    I did find that a lot of the samples that I tested, only a couple were rigid enough to not flex in the fitting, eliminating the possibility of popping out.

Cheers,
    Mick.
    I can see the sense in such a number that there is a cost saving, yet for us poor ole house holders, the cost of outlay is dramatic when compareed to any short term saving.

not that I wont rule out looking deeper into these beasties!

Thanks

Silicon Chip mag did a write up on them a couple of months ago.

Thanks

Oh yeah guys...

For a home owner, it's a very expensive way to save a few kilowatts
    I actually thought about buying some 5m lengths of cold white LED strips and mounting them on aluminium channel to increase heat dissipation and use them in my workshop.

Cheap as chips to run and you get the colour temp that is best for the workshop.

I even thought about using these strips as edge lighting in the kitchen and bathroom (esp. along the edge of the edge of the bathroom mirror... I'd be the best hubby!).

Anyway we use 3w LED halogen replacements on the 1st floor. I installed them when we were building and they're very good, you just have to install a few more cos of the lower lumens they give out.

Cheers,
    Mick.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tech_support For This Useful Post:

porkop (19-04-11),william10 (09-11-11)

Thanks

i purchased a 12 v led strip of 30 and quite a good amount of light for a small space, can be ganged together for extra lengths, i think about 3w as amp reading is 250ma, running my cb and uhf + leds off the car battery and charging with a solar panel 18v out thru a reg, panel about 1m by 350mm
    Last edited by anyone; 21-04-11 at 11:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Premium Lager

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anyone View Post
    i purchased a 12 v led strip of 30 and quite a good amount of light for a small space, can be ganged together for extra lengths, i think about 3w as amp reading is 250ma, running my cb and uhf + leds off the car battery and charging with a solar panel 18v out thru a reg, panel about 1m by 350mm
    What were the asking for it????

Banned
    Thanks

Smile

1: Ensure you’ve disconnected the fitment from the power supply. Carefully remove the fluorescent tube.

2: Fluorescent fitments come in two types. Your fitment will either have an electronic ballast unit, or a starter plus a magnetic ballast unit. Check to see what type of fitment you have.

3: Electronic Ballast. You must remove the electronic ballast unit. If you don’t, you’ll damage your LED tube. Disconnect the wires from the ballast unit. Remove the unit and connect the loose wires to form a circuit. Ensure the connections are secure and insulated.

4: Magnetic Ballast: If you have a fitment with a starter and a magnetic ballast unit, you must remove the starter. You don’t need to remove the ballast unit unless you’re placing more than one LED tube in the fitment. If you remove the ballast unit, connect the loose wires to create a circuit. Make sure you have properly secured and insulated the wires.

5: Your LED tube has a live connection at one end and a neutral connection at the other. Ensure the wires in the fitment match this. If you connect both live and neutral to one end of the LED tube, you’ll cause a short circuit.

6: Carefully fit your new LED tube. The tubes come in sizes to match existing fluorescent fitments. Common lengths are two foot, four foot, five foot and six foot.

7: Reconnect the fitment to the power supply. Now Switch on your new led tube
    zhongtian lighting is LED tube lighting manufacturer,more information pls visit:

• The Following User Says Thank You to ztlights For This Useful Post:

bazzle01 (17-06-13)

Banned
    Thanks

LED tube or led lighting are hot sales in shopping,factory,office...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by humax300 View Post
    Yeah they are more expensive but in the long term they make up for it.

Thanks

[QUOTE=ztlights;435100]1: Ensure you’ve disconnected the fitment from the power supply. Carefully remove the fluorescent tube.

2: Fluorescent fitments come in two types. Your fitment will either have an electronic ballast unit, or a starter plus a magnetic ballast unit. Check to see what type of fitment you have.

3: Electronic Ballast. You must remove the electronic ballast unit. If you don’t, you’ll damage your LED tube. Disconnect the wires from the ballast unit. Remove the unit and connect the loose wires to form a circuit. Ensure the connections are secure and insulated.

4: Magnetic Ballast: If you have a fitment with a starter and a magnetic ballast unit, you must remove the starter. You don’t need to remove the ballast unit unless you’re placing more than one LED tube in the fitment. If you remove the ballast unit, connect the loose wires to create a circuit. Make sure you have properly secured and insulated the wires.

5: Your LED tube has a live connection at one end and a neutral connection at the other. Ensure the wires in the fitment match this. If you connect both live and neutral to one end of the LED tube, you’ll cause a short circuit.

6: Carefully fit your new LED tube. The tubes come in sizes to match existing fluorescent fitments. Common lengths are two foot, four foot, five foot and six foot.

7: Reconnect the fitment to the power supply. Now Switch on your new led tube
    zhongtian lighting is LED tube lighting manufacturer,more information pls visit: Thanks for that.

Thanks

I agree ....Its use for our homes .Its useful thing I want to buy it today ..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Thumbs down No such thing as a free lunch!

Quote Originally Posted by porkop View Post
    Hi,

Anyone tried these???

regards

porkop
    I fully realise this is an ancient thread but at the time I believed what my master's were telling me!
    It soon became apparent that any energy savings were eclipsed by the cost of their replacement.
    15 years life. pfft.

Since their replacement, less than 12 months ago, I've had to replace, 4 out out of six.

To my mind
    , that is costing more than any energy saving that you may achieve!
    Last edited by beer4life; 05-06-13 at 08:57 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beer4life View Post
    It soon became apparent that any energy savings were eclipsed by the cost of their replacement.
    Since their replacement, less than 12 months ago, I've had to replace, 4 out out of six.

To my mind, that is costing more than any energy saving that you may achieve!
    Same as the compulsory change from incandescent to CFLs.

Sheesh.
    Last edited by Guiseppe; 06-06-13 at 01:24 PM. Reason: TRying to get the colour to work!

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast