Thread: Chatroom voice problems

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Chatroom voice problems

I dont know if this would be considered as VoIP but I go to a Yahoo Chat Peer room and 'Open' the voice option and now I am lucky if Voice lasts more than 10 minutes before telling me there is a voice error and off it goes.
    I am NOT disconnected from the Chatroom or the Internet when this happens.
    I use Yahoo Messinger, Yazac and Y!epic and it drops out in all three.
    This isnt isolated to this computer as the lappy does the same thing.
    I disconnected the wireless router the other day thinking it may be a cause but it wasnt as Voice went off as bloody usual.

I am on that Ipstar satellite Internet and they told me origonaly voice/VoIP/Skype would never be a viable reilable option due to 'Satellite latency' but wouldnt that be consistant because at times Voice has worked for over 2 hours but now its barely averaging more than 10 minutes.
    I rang my ISP (Skymesh) and they 'investigated' the problem but basicaly said they didnt have a clue, no mention of any 'Latancy' this time.
    I am not interested in Skype/VoIP as such just the chatroom voice.
    I cant go ADSL here as the bloody exchange isnt capable but I might now be able to go Wireless and I am seriously considering giving it a try.
    Have others got this problem or not, I would be very interested to know.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Thanks

This is a satellite issue and the way Yahoo is setup. You need to isolate your issues by trying other Voip providers and different codecs. If you have wireless 3 G access you can try a pre paid service and see how effective it is. Just because your isp said it wasnt them doesnt exactly mean that this is true. They are simply bumping you in yahoo chat.

Check your modem logs and cut and paste them in here so we can see the offending ping that is bumping you.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Where would I find these log entries in the modem?
    I have been considering trying wireless prepaid but 3G isnt too good here and although Optus claims to cover this area with a Dual Band signal, I dont know if it works here.

I have downloaded the free version of Skype and I chatted with a friend in NZ for over an hour with perfect contact the whole time.
    Now I have just crashed the desktop so this is on the low burner untill I get that sorted.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 16-05-11 at 10:25 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Where would I find these log entries in the modem?
    I have been considering trying wireless prepaid but 3G isnt too good here and although Optus claims to cover this area with a Dual Band signal, I dont know if it works here.

I have downloaded the free version of Skype and I chatted with a friend in NZ for over an hour with perfect contact the whole time.
    Now I have just crashed the desktop so this is on the low burner untill I get that sorted.
    If thats the case, the issue is the Yahoo application compatability with your isp and modem logs are not needed. Uninstall ALL of your Yahoo chat ware and install ONLY one of your preferential applications and use that. You need to isolate the issue and having a mix mash of apps on your system doesnt help the cause. I did check issues with Yahoo dropouts and Ipstar and this is a common issue with this provider so dont feel eunich

dont forget to clear cookies with a utility like CC, wiping free disk space would not be a bad idea if you know how to do this.