Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Latest Selectv Dealer email

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SelecTV Ops View Post
    Lazer - I interpreted gw1 was referring to Price for NEW No Contract Basic Satellite STB Offer for Dealers, not Package Prices;

Prices have gone up, please get rid of old price stickers.

Please understand that price increases are very difficult to implement, and are not our desired position, however certain circumstances, including new content, or changes to content agreements, or changes to installation offers, change the financials for us.

HAS EVERYONE MISSED SOMETHING!!!!!

SelecTV are now offering FREE installs in Greek, Spanish & Italian

This changes the economics completely for all Packages.

The Italian Package worked in the early days for customers who just wanted the few channels, however we seem to have exhausted the majority of those based on the last 12 months history. There is obviously a large subscriber base on Foxtel and others who are telling us they want more channels, that they are used to, to come across (yes on a FREE install) - we are just responding to the market. Existing subscribers can maintain their existing package.

Greek - there is method to this. ERT was always meant to be $5 and we have been providing it for Free.
    Hello again - see my response to Lazer. You guys have all missed that SelecTV is now providng FREE installs to Greek, Spanish and Italian.

Prices rises are difficult and timing of them critical. We launched Free Installs so the timing was right for some adjustments to accomodate current and future changes/improvements.

We hear you re price points, but I am afraid you are the minority on this. We have run extensive surveys and discussion group sessions with members of these communities and this is what they indicated (Italian). We can't ignore the data...

Thanks

Yes free install but 2 year contract isn't it?...

And about ERT its FREE TO AIR on Optus D2 anyway on Globecast and UBI... 2 seperate transponders... ERT is a quality channel but money wise it is really of no value since its FREE everywhere else...

And about the Italian pack instead of forcing people to get the English pack along with Italian pack why not just offer a discounted price to those that want both instead of forcing Italians to get the english pack aswell..

Lazer - I interpreted gw1 was referring to Price for NEW No Contract Basic Satellite STB Offer for Dealers, not Package Prices;

Prices have gone up, please get rid of old price stickers.

Please understand that price increases are very difficult to implement, and are not our desired position, however certain circumstances, including new content, or changes to content agreements, or changes to installation offers, change the financials for us.

HAS EVERYONE MISSED SOMETHING!!!!!

SelecTV are now offering FREE installs in Greek, Spanish & Italian

This changes the economics completely for all Packages.

The Italian Package worked in the early days for customers who just wanted the few channels, however we seem to have exhausted the majority of those based on the last 12 months history. There is obviously a large subscriber base on Foxtel and others who are telling us they want more channels, that they are used to, to come across (yes on a FREE install) - we are just responding to the market. Existing subscribers can maintain their existing package.

Greek - there is method to this. ERT was always meant to be $5 and we have been providing it for Free.
    Lazer

• The Following User Says Thank You to Lazer For This Useful Post:

myf360f1 (19-05-09)

Thanks

These italian surveys you done that cant of possibly said " Be like foxtel force us to get the English pack " I think they just wanted a discounted price to get both as a optional package? why would they want to be forced to get english pack...

And about ERT again why not update your site atleast and add ERT to your greek pack instead of making out that your giving greek subs something for nothing? as you got ERT as a FREE $0.00 add on when you subscribe to greek pack?

Hello again - see my response to Lazer. You guys have all missed that SelecTV is now providng FREE installs to Greek, Spanish and Italian.

Prices rises are difficult and timing of them critical. We launched Free Installs so the timing was right for some adjustments to accomodate current and future changes/improvements.

We hear you re price points, but I am afraid you are the minority on this. We have run extensive surveys and discussion group sessions with members of these communities and this is what they indicated (Italian). We can't ignore the data...
    Lazer

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,141 Posts

Thank you for taking the time to help provide some clarification SelecTV Ops.

It is much appreciated

I personally believe that subscription TV providers should offer individual channel selection.

I guess you could call it user pays, rather than subsidising unwanted content
    The channels that didn't pay their way could be dropped.
    Reality is an invention of my imagination.
    ಠ_ಠ

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fernbay For This Useful Post:

BlackDuck (20-05-09),Godzilla (19-05-09),Jims Brother (21-05-09),OSIRUS (20-05-09)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fernbay View Post
    I personally believe that subscription TV providers should offer individual channel selection.
    I agree.

Any pay tv provider that offers that level of choice will be a clear leader, IMHO.

Thanks

Direct purchase of card by subscriber from SelecTV website had lowest subscriber acquisition cost of all. Customers who chose that option had lowest risk of misrepresentation or unscrupulous behaviour since there was no dealer involvement at all. It was WIN-WIN.

Yep – Card only had a low COA and highest Churn rates. And the greatest support overhead. The majority were Greek/Spanish/Italian, with Non Irdeto boxes. Try explaining to an irate Greek that his box is not compatible and he needs to purchase a new one, after the way Tarbs treated them. It just created grief.You might think it was a big seller, but it wasn't.

Customers who can't get it to work, and whose problem isn't immediately answerable from FAQ or call centre cue sheet would be advised to engage a professional installer or offered money back. Case closed. That's an issue with all low-cost services, from EasyJet to Dick Smith kits to furniture kits and DIY products of all kinds. All around the world, with low cost products like this, customers phone with sob stories, pleas and threats. The answer isn't to get rid of the low cost option, it's to manage the customer's expectation. There will always be people who think they can DIY or save money by using inappropriate equipment, but that's no reason to throw out the baby with the bath water. Walking away from the 'card only' market segment is a legitimate option, I'm not saying it's not. But it's disappointing because that was exactly the niche that drew many people to SelecTV in the first place.

gw1 – supporting Card only subs sounds easy but it is not. The majority who purchased were language customers and the language barrier makes it very difficult. They were predominantly ex Tarbs customers, they didn’t trust us and when there was a problem it is automatically our fault. It is important for everyone to understand for this business model to work, we can’t afford support overhead. We are low cost low overhead. Anything that creates undue overhead and doesn’t yield needs to be addressed. Card only sales were less than 5% of sales and accounted for a larger than proportional share of support time.

Some have speculated the real reason for forcing all new subscribers to a proprietary box is to pave the way for possible proprietary stream change at some point in future, breaking compatibility with Irdeto standard. That's not particularly smart, because it's like forcing customers to pack clothes and buy plane tickets for a flight they may not need to catch, to a destination you don't know yet, on a schedule you don't know yet. Some might call it insurance but I call it speculative over-engineering; others call it greedy bundling. Deploying countermeasures prematurely is poor use of funds because it gives attackers a head start, and the countermeasures may turn out to be entirely inappropriate. It's one thing to "be prepared", but every experienced programmer knows the only efficient way to cross a volatile technology bridge is when you come to it.

Proprietary STB – speculate all you want. That’s rubbish. We are glued at the hip to Irdeto standards. It is purely to control the customer experience. There are great things we can do OTA to individual STB’s while we have customers on the phone. These tools save a $100 service call at our cost. It is also about future proofing for Freeview etc.. The Combo is of course forward compatible to MHEG5 which is Freeview’s standard.

If the reason card-only subscriptions were pulled was "abuse", as was suggested, it would be nice to receive an explanation. Plenty of legitimate subscribers, past and present, weren't abusing it. Lots of services in life are subjected to abuse by a minority. Good managers find creative ways of managing such problems without unduly penalising customers. That's their job. It's a poor manager who spits the dummy, packs up the card table and goes home. Or who burdens all customers with an expense that has appearance of addressing the problem but doesn't really at all.

I subscribed to SelecTV for quite a while then stopped when I went overseas for an extended period. These days I'm reining in expenses, as most people are, so SelecTV isn't high on my list of priorities. But I can tell you I'm considerably less interested in resubscribing now that I'm forced to buy a new budget receiver when I already own a superior one with a spare card slot. One day perhaps the ACCC will crack down on bundling practices that exploit lack of competition. Until then I'm voting with my feet. I used to recommend SelecTV to people as a good value option, and convinced several friends to sign up (all using existing or new third party equipment) but I don't any more.

Inactive Subscribers with previous services can re-subscribe using their current equipment.

By the way, I'm not criticising SelecTV's right - indeed obligation - to audit installers on behalf of content suppliers. My criticism was more about the style of the newsletter. Dealers are knowledgeable, practical people who respond better to straight talking than spin and euphemisms. Australians especially have low tolerance for bullsh*t. Saying "We will NOT jeopardize our Content agreements, any of them, particularly Sky Racing" garners respect. Telling dealers that decisions were based on their feedback, when clearly they weren't, garners no respect at all. We all would have been far more sympathetic if SelecTV had said "A high rate of inappropriate card only subscriptions has incurred an extraordinary support cost, one which continues to grow despite our efforts to manage the problem. Regrettably we have been forced to discontinue that option. Service to existing card-only subscribers will remain. Our compatibility with their third-party Irdeto receivers remains and we have no plan to change that."

I agree wholeheartedly and we will endeavor to improve those communications

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viewer View Post
    SelecTv Ops...
    I see the card only items are still on ebay.If someone purchases one of those, I take it you will not authorise it?

I note you said the card only option was abused by the customers. Can you please clarify, expand, or give direct examples and numbers of this allegation. My understanding is that once paid for,the service was simply supplied. How were the card only users abusing things?

Thank you.
    I would like to explain, but the loophole still exists and I obviously don't want to promote it until we can close it in the near future.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
    Yes free install but 2 year contract isn't it?...

And about ERT its FREE TO AIR on Optus D2 anyway on Globecast and UBI... 2 seperate transponders... ERT is a quality channel but money wise it is really of no value since its FREE everywhere else...

And about the Italian pack instead of forcing people to get the English pack along with Italian pack why not just offer a discounted price to those that want both instead of forcing Italians to get the english pack aswell..
    Lazer - you are astute. Some of it is contractual - I Can't explain any of that at this time

Edited - arghh. This was the response to your other post
    Last edited by SelecTV Ops; 19-05-09 at 09:17 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fernbay View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to help provide some clarification SelecTV Ops.

It is much appreciated

I guess you could call it user pays, rather than subsidising unwanted content
    The channels that didn't pay their way could be dropped.
    Well that is the holy grail isn't it - but it will never happen!! Not Because we at SelecTV wouldn't offer it, but its controlled by the content providers.

If you were a low grade channel on Foxtel, and you wanted to maximise your revenue, what would you put in your contract? Yep, that's right that it must be in Basic so they get revenue from all the 1.2m subs (+Austar, +Optus). We are no different, especially with the Movie Network in our base - they are all smarter than that and want to be tied to it.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SelecTV Ops For This Useful Post:

Fernbay (19-05-09),gw1 (20-05-09)

Thanks

So can I clarify something please, if someone who has a card only sub at the moment cancels and at a later dates decides they want to restart what happens?
    1) do they return their card?
    2) will they be forced to buy your STB and card package?
    3) will they be able to keep the card and reactivate at a later stage?

On another matter I would imagine you will marry all new card and STB packages so as to prevent people taking the card out of the supplied box and using in their own ?

• The Following User Says Thank You to myf360f1 For This Useful Post:

best4less (19-05-09)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Like so many others, it was the card-only option that was my biggest selling point, offering customers choice over the quality of receiver they used.

This was the major incentive for many customers and perhaps the catalyst in swaying their decision to go with Select, rather than with other providers.

Selectv used to provide value for money, especially for those customers who weren't into sport programming, but now, that value has deminished considerably, with increased cost for little extra in programming and now, the removal of choice of decoder.

Does Select intend to continue to enable it's smartcards to be used in third party receivers?

If not, what happens to the customers who already have active card-only accounts?

Obviously, it's more profitable for Select to charge for a decoder, so it would appear at this point that it's a decision made on greed.

It certainly has absolutely no benefit to the customer whatsoever.

I too would like to hear your explanation of your claimed 'abuse' of the card-only option.

I, like several others on this and other forums have highly recommended Selectv up until now.

But take heed, if your company intends to play the game on the same field as Foxtel/Austar with equipment restrictions.... then your opposition will win the game as customers will see a much greater perceived value in Foxtel/Austar packages over what Select is offering, based on program availability.

The less choice you offer customers, the less customers you will have.

Consider this as dealer feedback.

Somewhat different to the views you claim other dealers have.
    mtv – thanks for your feedback. We base our decisions on the data, and we now have a significant subscriber base and the overwhelming majority choose professional installs. There is lots of bitching and moaning on this forum about Card Only sales being yanked, but the energy expended here - meaning it has consumed most posts, is similar to what we experience in the call centre for support, but the reality is it wasn’t selling relative to the overhead of supporting it, and the other offers. Dealer numbers diminished, so did direct sales.

You still have a choice of decoder. For the time being we have agreed to let Strong sell the SelecTV Smart Card bundled with a Strong STB.

Anyone with an Active or an inactive SelecTV account are certainly able to continue with the Card only service.

Incorrect – we subsidize the decoder significantly.

I’d love to explain the abuse issue, but I can’t for security reasons

We certainly DO NOT take the equipment issue for granted.

”The less choice you offer customers, the less customers you will have.”

That is what we thought too – but in 3 years the customers have proved us wrong in the choices they have made.

mtv we appreciate your feedback. Thank you. We take everything on board.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by myf360f1 View Post
    So can I clarify something please, if someone who has a card only sub at the moment cancels and at a later dates decides they want to restart what happens?

On another matter I would imagine you will marry all new card and STB packages so as to prevent people taking the card out of the supplied box and using in their own ?
    No - not any more
    No - they can re-activate the old card or take up an offer
    Yes
    This has always been the case

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
    These italian surveys you done that cant of possibly said " Be like foxtel force us to get the English pack " I think they just wanted a discounted price to get both as a optional package? why would they want to be forced to get english pack...

And about ERT again why not update your site atleast and add ERT to your greek pack instead of making out that your giving greek subs something for nothing? as you got ERT as a FREE $0.00 add on when you subscribe to greek pack?
    Lazer - how can you ignore that Italians are buying it on Foxtel as it is currently packaged. We can't...

Thanks

No - not any more
    No - they can re-activate the old card or take up an offer
    Yes

Thank you for clearing that up I have some very nervous italians departing for OS soon.

Cheers

Thanks

Lazer - how can you ignore that Italians are buying it on Foxtel as it is currently packaged. We can't...
    The difference is though that Foxtel has Fox Sports and ESPN which alot of italians are interested in soccer wise anyway... and Setanta also....

You guys havn't even managed to even get Setanta yet? whats up with that? pretty much everyone else has it so we know its not exclusive...
    Lazer

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by myf360f1 View Post

Plain English yes and no answers and questions make life a lot easier thanks myf360f1
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

So the long term plan is therefore to have all cards and boxes married?

Looks like Select tv will no longer meet my requirements in the future.

The reason i went with Select from day they started was no contracts and the fact i could use my own equipment.

Sometimes i take out my card in the living room and move it over to another part of the house.

You do not like card splitting, you dont like card sharing....and now to move my card i have to take the receiver with it....no thanks, Foxtel with extra boxes works out to better channel content and value for money thanks.

Im going to guess that contracts will be pushed in the near future too.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

best4less (19-05-09),Jims Brother (21-05-09),OSIRUS (20-05-09)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Exclamation The Truth is emerging.

I've never seen this mentioned before. I think ACCC would definitely see this as misrepresentation and restraint of trade. Failure to reveal a salient condition is most definitely misrepresentation.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

You still have a choice of decoder. For the time being we have agreed to let Strong sell the SelecTV Smart Card bundled with a Strong STB.
    So I can continue to sell Selectv card & Strong decoder... that means anyone purchasing that bundle could use the card in the Strong decoder, or if they wished, use it in any other third party equipment, as the card isn't married to the Strong decoder?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    So the long term plan is therefore to have all cards and boxes married?

Looks like Select tv will no longer meet my requirements in the future.

The reason i went with Select from day they started was no contracts and the fact i could use my own equipment.

Sometimes i take out my card in the living room and move it over to another part of the house.

You do not like card splitting, you dont like card sharing....and now to move my card i have to take the receiver with it....no thanks, Foxtel with extra boxes works out to better channel content and value for money thanks.

Im going to guess that contracts will be pushed in the near future too.
    Godzilla - let me clarify. We won't be marrying SelecTV cards to NON SelecTV STB's out there. You are free to continue as you have in the past moving your card between 3rd party decoders. I refer to SelecTV STB's only.

The reason we don't allow a cheaper second box in the house is we can't stop people taking that box to another residence (mates place) and their mate getting the cheaper service. With Cable you can tether the STB to the house - not so with Satellite.

• Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast