Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win 10 feature updates.

Thanks

Default Win 10 feature updates.

I haven't been able to install the last two feature updates, the latest 1903 I have attempted 5 times. Each time it fails at 60% after the restart. Each time returns a different error code which I have googled and followed instructions found to rectify. I have also scanned for virus and malware. Also cleaned registry and created more free space on my drive. What more can I do? The latest error is 0xc1900101 which coincidently was the error that prevented 1809 from installing. Could it be that I have to get 1809 to work before 1903 will work.
    Last edited by MrRadio; 08-07-19 at 06:12 PM.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks

stop and reboot services and then reboot the computer works for me

press win x keys

run as administrator

net stop wuauserv
    net stop cryptSvc
    net stop bits
    net stop msiserver
    Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
    Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
    net start wuauserv
    net start cryptSvc
    net start bits
    net start msiserver

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,338 Posts

Should I mention another OS which I updated this morning in about 10 minutes?
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

whats a update ?
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dai View Post
    stop and reboot services and then reboot the computer works for me

press win x keys

run as administrator

net stop wuauserv
    net stop cryptSvc
    net stop bits
    net stop msiserver
    Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
    Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
    net start wuauserv
    net start cryptSvc
    net start bits
    net start msiserver
    Thanks but it didn't work for me, should I now reverse the 2 renamed items?

Thanks

I guess all that's left now is to start backing up and gathering all my install software for various apps I use and do a clean install. This bloody update is doing my head in.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadio View Post
    I guess all that's left now is to start backing up and gathering all my install software for various apps I use and do a clean install. This bloody update is doing my head in.
    Forget Windows 10!

Windows 10 is deliberately designed to send users to an early grave.

Go back to Windows 8.1 Update 1. It's stable, its few updates take place without hassles and applications run faultlessly.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    Forget Windows 10!

Windows 10 is deliberately designed to send users to an early grave.

Go back to Windows 8.1 Update 1. It's stable, its few updates take place without hassles and applications run faultlessly.
    Correction, WINDOWS is deliberately designed to send users to an early grave.
    Last stable version I can remember is 3.11 but I also smoked back then which gave me a little comfort and stopped me from bashing my head bloody against walls trying to get Windows 9x versions to do what I want.
    Since I gave up Windows and consequently smoking, I have seemed to reverse in age.
    People now think I look aged in the 40's but I am early 60's but my old colleges all look like they are 80.

Sorry Tristen, I know you are a fan of 8.1u1 and I am truely happy it works for you but there has never been a version of Windows that I was happy with.
    I still have to deal with Windows occasionally also 8 and 10 but I don't have to live with it.
    I still fix hardware but if they come with Windows problems these days I tell them to go home and click the "Re-Install" button
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 09-07-19 at 11:32 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

tristen (10-07-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

run sfc /scannow

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,650 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dai View Post
    run sfc /scannow
    You can run that, but shouldn't have to as W10 is self healing for system file corruption.

Another thing that can block updates & image back ups, is corrupted application folders that cause an impasse, which is not corrected or noticed by sfc/scannow

Solution,
    In the Command Prompt (Admin) window, type DIR /AL /S and then press Enter. The list of JUNCTION (one type of reparse point) list is displayed.
    Delete the impasse, then proceed, problem solved.

In the flowing example I had an empty Internet Explorer cache folder that was blocking, so I located the folder using the path given (needed "view hidden items" selected) then deleted it & the problem solved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>DIR /AL /S
    Volume in drive C has no label.
    Volume Serial Number is 2625-93BD

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\L ocal\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache

09/06/2019 06:32 PM <JUNCTION> Content.IE5 [C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\L ocal\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE]
    0 File(s) 0 bytes

Total Files Listed:
    0 File(s) 0 bytes
    1 Dir(s) 786,555,916,288 bytes free

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

EDIT: to check that you have been successful, repeat;

File Not Found

Last edited by Tiny; 10-07-19 at 11:34 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    You can run that, but shouldn't have to as W10 is self healing for system file corruption.

Another thing that can block updates & image back ups, is corrupted application folders that cause an impasse, which is not corrected or noticed by sfc/scannow

Solution,
    In the Command Prompt (Admin) window, type DIR /AL /S and then press Enter. The list of JUNCTION (one type of reparse point) list is displayed.

In the flowing example I had an empty Internet Explorer cache folder that was blocking, so I located the folder using the path given (needed "view hidden items" selected) then deleted it & the problem solved.

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\L ocal\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache

09/06/2019 06:32 PM <JUNCTION> Content.IE5 [C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\L ocal\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE]
    0 File(s) 0 bytes

Total Files Listed:
    0 File(s) 0 bytes

File Not Found

Attempt 7 after sfc SCANNOW failed although this time the update spent considerable time fixing files. This operation returns Path not found because it does not exist. Tearing hair out in clumps now. To those who suggest changing OS I'm too set in my ways (old) and have too much invested in photography software to change or roll back to unsupported versions.
    Last edited by MrRadio; 10-07-19 at 05:50 PM.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Attempt 7 after sfc SCANNOW failed although this time the update spent considerable time fixing files. This operation returns Path not found because it does not exist. Tearing hair out in clumps now. To those who suggest changing OS I'm too set in my ways (old) and have too much invested in photography software to change or roll back to unsupported versions.
    If sfc/ scannow fails then you have definitely got some corrupt system files & so it is pointless trying to update as it will likely never complete until all is good.
    This usually occurs when you have had a BSOD or a power failure & Windows failed to close down properly.
    If that hasn't happened it can be caused by a HDD that is showing the first signs of future failure. This will usually trigger a notification that windows wants to run chkdsk (Check Disk Utility).

First check the HDD health by right click the Windows logo (start button), select Disk Management, if your partitions are marked as healthy, windows is indicating no need to run chkdsk.
    If there is a problem with a partition or HDD, there will be an indication marked on it. In this case run chkdsk.
    If the HDD is in good health
    The next tool to help sfc/scannnow work correctly is to run DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management), then when that has fixed the system repair image, you run sfc/ scannow again & it should successfully repair the files.
    All the steps are at>>
    The above link also has the System Image Readiness Tool which I have not used, looks like a last resort, but the instructions are there.

I'd suggest if & when you get this completed to a healthy updated system; that you make yourself a full system image backup, on a regular basis that can then restore your system to a new HDD if the one you are using fails.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Thanks

Out of the blue silly question guys. Recently my grandaughters lappy failed. I couldn't reinstall Windows for love nor money until MS support had me change the file system from NTFS to something I have never heard or and all was well. Could this be a similar problem?

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Out of the blue silly question guys. Recently my grandaughters lappy failed. I couldn't reinstall Windows for love nor money until MS support had me change the file system from NTFS to something I have never heard or and all was well. Could this be a similar problem?
    I didn't think there was anything other than NTFS, or the old FAT32 or just FAT, EXFAT & some variations.

Maybe you are referring to the hard drives format as in; MBR disk and GPT disk.
    MBR is the abbreviation of Master Boot Record, which use the standard BIOS, supports up to 2TB capacity. And the GPT (GUID Partition Table) disk which uses UEFI (unified extensible firmware interface), supports disk with more than 2TB capacity.
    Last edited by Tiny; 11-07-19 at 04:48 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

I would run chkdsk anyway, even if disk manager shows the disk as healthy, surprising sometimes what issues can be solved by doing that.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,338 Posts

Actually had a computer to fix last night that had W10 on it. I was very surprised. Once I cleaned all the dust out (laptop) and got thermal runaway under control. A complete format and re-load including all updates only took me a couple of hours. The best I'd ever been able to achieve in the past has been a couple of days. I did also install Linux on it to dual boot. Person very happy with the result.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

I didn't think there was anything other than NTFS, or the old FAT32 or just FAT, EXFAT & some variations.

Maybe you are referring to the hard drives format as in; MBR disk and GPT disk.
    MBR is the abbreviation of Master Boot Record, which use the standard BIOS, supports up to 2TB capacity. And the GPT (GUID Partition Table) disk which uses UEFI (unified extensible firmware interface), supports disk with more than 2TB capacity.
    Maybe you are right Tiny, I didn't understand what the lady was telling at the time me but I followed her instructions and BINGO. Wish it was that simple this time round.

Thanks

Solution,

0 File(s) 0 bytes

Total Files Listed:
    0 File(s) 0 bytes

File Not Found

The DIR /AL /S in Admin Cmd displays exactly as your example but I can't navigate to it. Navigation takes me only as far as "Local\Microsoft\Windows" "INetCache\IE" is not in the Windows folder. Groundhog day again. I have hidden files enabled.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

The DIR /AL /S in Admin Cmd displays exactly as your example but I can't navigate to it. Navigation takes me only as far as "Local\Microsoft\Windows" "INetCache\IE" is not in the Windows folder. Groundhog day again. I have hidden files enabled.
    Ok if the address on yours was the exact same as mine, then try pasting the following in the navigation pane. C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\L ocal\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache

EDIT: for some reason the forum editor is putting a space in Local, so you will have to remove it.

Or better still run DIR /AL /S again & copy paste the address from the cmd prompt.

EDIT2: Even better still the following link gives a cmd prompt method of deleting the Junction
    Scroll down to
    The Crazy Junction Microsoft Fix

Last edited by Tiny; 12-07-19 at 11:11 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

I have followed all of the suggestions the have worked on this infernal device. My final attempt is in download stage right now and I'll leave it to it's own devices overight. If it's still ground hog day tomorrow I'm moving to clean install which I propbably could have done 8 or 9 times in the time I've spent on this. But that will be next week after my date with the cardiac surgeon and his pipe cleaner at GCUH on Monday.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast